In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

It was upper 90's when we went the 3rd week of July, but as the others said, in April or October it isn't favorable. My buddy went last year in October and he said it was rather cold and no one was swimming but the locals that were surfing were wearing wet suits.

I will say compared to Virginia Beach and Myrtle beach, it is not a tourist'y. Not as many beach shops and the beach is far less crowded. Been to Myrtle beach 2 times and Virginia beach 3 times and I'd never go back to either after being to the OBX.

eatonpcat and Gasifier like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I've been there in mid/late September before...it was still warm but not hot...could maybe swim on a good day if ya didn't need bath water warm...

Gasifier, Horkn and DexterDay like this.
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I'm going to be an EcoBoost party pooper here and say both trucks I rented (4x4 and 4x2 super crew) averaged well south of 20mpg with normal commuter driving. (Minimal highway) To be fair, they were 3.5L motors but I can't see the 2.7 being that much better. Maybe if you were hyper-miling each you would see 20+ averages but who really drives like that day in and day out? Take all the fun out of owning a 300+ hp truck if you ask me. Also, the two 5.0L machines that I rented got similar mileage with similar usage while making all the proper noises. But definitely not as punchy around town as the EcoBoost 3.5L/10spd. The 5.0L gets a first date with the 10spd in 2018 you say? That leaves no doubt in my mind which setup I would want.

How's the AllRoad treating you Horkn? My German friend with the A6 3.0L diesel has upgraded to a newer A6 3.0L diesel, this time in S-Line trim.:dancer::banana::dex: I have serious automotive envy after a 15 min test drive. We NEED cars this good in the US.:cool:

Hammy and brenndatomu like this.
  4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

For what it's worth... since I've been driving my '15 3.5L .... I'm averaging 18.8 mpg. :D But when I took it over it was like 15.6 mpg.... :D... someone had a heavier foot than I... It much more enjoyable than my Ranger... nice to have some room to move around, and not hit my head getting in all the time. Plus I love the seat warmer... my back loves it in the morning...:D

5. papadave

papadave

You guys getting less than 20 MPG need to take the lead outta your right foot.:rofl: :lol: Although, mine gets heavy every once in a while.
    Our '17 Explorer with the 3.5 and 3.65(8?, I forget) gears gets mid 20s on the freeway goin' 75 as long as I'm not going uphill. 80 MPH is another story, and sometimes it pays to just get where you're going. If I need to pass, there's a nice bit of power (did that twice yesterday).
    On M-32 doing 65, I can get close to 30MPG, sometimes gooder.
    No need to have my foot in it all the time. I'd like to try a truck with the 2.7T. They should put that motor in the Explorer Limited or Sport as an option.
    Yes, I know the Explorer isn't a truck.:)
    We were down in the Outer Banks in July last year and thought it was very touristy, but I hate traffic and lots of people and touristy stuff, so theres that.
    Short walk to the not busy beach was nice too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  6. Horkn

Horkn

183k mostly trouble free miles on the 4.2 v8 Audi allroad. But thinking every day about getting a truck. My Audi doesn't get anything better than 20 mpg, anywhere. Due to the 5spd tiptronic and numerically axle ratios, the faster the speed, the lower the mpg. At 55 mph, it gets probably right at 20 mpg. Get on the freeway with the 70 mph limit, and 75 real world speed, it drops to maybe 18 mpg.
    The 2.7 ecoboost really does get much better mpg than the 3.5 , and not even babying it to get the better mpg. That was on the first Gen 2.7 with direct injection only, and 6 SPD.

The 2018 f150s are slowly trickling into dealers, but I've yet to see a 2018 5.0 with the 10 SPD arrive. Once one does arrive, I'll want to drive it. I've seen 2018 2.7 ecoboosts at the dealers already, and since that is the best selling motor in f150s, it makes sense. I've also seen the new 3.3 base v6 at dealers, but only those 2 motors so far.

I really liked the way the 2017 3.5 ecoboost with the 10 SPD drove. I also know I love v8's. I also want better mpg, so the 2.7 ecoboost didn't really give up much performance and gets better mpg.

I'm a bit conflicted, which is something I'm not usually an when it comes to power train choices on anything with a motor.

clemsonfor likes this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

Is your explorer the non ecoboost 3.5 one? That's what my mom has in her 14 Edge. Even being loaded limited AWD that Edge gets nearly 30 mpg freeway.

The 2.7ecoboost is available in the fusion sport and edge sport. That motor is a monster. It's tuned different in the truck vs the SUV/ car motor, but even in the truck it apparently it's so strong that until the 3.5 EB got the gen2 treatment with 10 SPD, the smaller 2.7 was quicker and faster than the bigger EB in the same truck configurations.

I thought that the explorer should get the 2.7 as well, but there's reasons it doesn't yet. Namely because of the reason above.

clemsonfor and papadave like this.
  8. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

The fusion with the 2.7 only gets like 25mpg highway. I thought it would do better than that. That is why I am not sure I believe the claims of the 150 with the 2.7 getting mid 20's.

clemsonfor and Hammy like this.
  9. papadave

papadave

It's the non-turbo 4WD. Tow package adds better gearing. Haven't driven any of the turbo models, although I had little PT GT turbo 2.4L. It was heavy for the size though.......somewhere around 4400lbs.
    I still think the 2.7T would be nice in the Explorer.

Horkn and Hammy like this.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

It may be that the twin turbos of the 2.7 need the larger engine compartment of the F150. Das a lotta plumbin’ ya...

11. papadave

papadave

Yeah, gone are the days of engine compartment caverns, although, if they can fit the 3.5 and turbo(s) in the Explorer, why not the smaller (maybe) 2.7?

Horkn, 94BULLITT and Hammy like this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

That thing is slammed!

Was that with a weight distribution hitch as well?

13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

It's just a matter oF time it will be commercialized as the chit hole that myrtle beach has become. I would be willing to bet that many of yall on here have been to myrtle beach more than me and I grew up less than 2 hours from there. I think I have been there 4x in my life maybe 5. And not all those times were actually to the beach. Having been there as frequent as like 8 years ago, I have no idea why people go there. PeopLe from this state go there like crazy too. Year after year????

If we ever went any were on vacation I might like to go to the other banks or somewhere in Florida maybe. I was in Florida for training 2 years ago in april, it hit the 80s that year in the day. Water still cold. And in October in OBX and FL I promise you the water is cold. I'm from the SC coast and it's cold there

Horkn, concretegrazer and papadave like this.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

No, it was only about 5 miles I had to tow it. After getting home? I realized it should have been used. But I thought it weighed a lot less than it did. :) So I just laid it on the Reese hitch and drove home. I felt it suspension wise, but power wise the little EcoDiesel held its own. My next purchase is a set of bags for sure. With coil springs in the back it makes it ride like a car. So with a lot of weight, I feel it. If it's my trailer and some quads? It's no bad at all. But that's only a few thousand pounds.

Does anyone remember the numbers that the early Cummins and PowerStrokes were putting up. Here is a look at the late 90's and early 2000 numbers that are very sought after. Awesome trucks and I still search around me for a mint Gen 1 or Gen 2 Cummins 2500.

Torque and HP are very close to those early Gens of Ford and Dodge.

Ford Powerstrokes
    Screenshot_20171017-205115.jpg

Dodge Cummins
    Screenshot_20171017-205353.jpg

EcoDiesel is 240HP and 420 Tq.

Screenshot_20171017-205926.jpg

Just wanted to paint a picture for those that like numbers. The early diesels that everyone thinks are power monsters, have about the same power as this 3.0 L engine. So when you see a 97 Crew cab Powersroke pulling a huge 5th wheel trailer and a giant tractor (any large equipment) this little guy can do it. Just needs some help in the rear suspension (air bags).

My dad has a 2010 2500 Cummins. This camper barely puts a squat on his truck. That's what normally pulls it. I did him a favor by moving it. And I'll never do it again. (Till Bags! ;) )

15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea I saw in later posts where you said that you didn't have a weight hitch and only went 5 miles, after I posted.

DexterDay likes this.
  16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

thanks DexterDay for that explanation for us number guys:yes:

Eric VW, DexterDay and clemsonfor like this.
  17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

HP is right there. Comes up a bit and I mean bit short on torque but not much. I think the big thing people like is those old ones no emissions stuff and ability to mod them for easy power yet still be reliable. But I'm sure you can delete the 3.0 and get power too.

18. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Costs a little more, but there is an Eco Forum and there is some impressive Ram and Grand Cherokee, that do pretty well for a small engine. Even the TV show Diesel Brothers made a mini Mega Ram out of a 1500 Eco.

19. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Boys and their trucks! Lots of opinions, poor guys like me are just happy to have transportation!

raybonz, Chvymn99, Horkn and 7 others like this.
  20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Or muddy yards to slide head first on.....:rofl: :lol:
    :handshake:

Chvymn99, Horkn, clemsonfor and 2 others like this.