In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Horkn

Horkn

I hear you, but this is a a single engine option, and there are a whole lot more f150s sold than ecodiesel ram's. The sample size for these rams is a whole lot smaller than the f150s, of any engine size. That small sample size only makes the ecodiesel look not so great.

2. Horkn

Horkn

Take a good look at the hardware, especially the hinges on the ramboxes. I used to work for the company that made them, and there were severe rusting issues. We had so many rejected by PPAP and quality departments at FCA that it was almost funny. The problem was our paint and primer suppliers that were not on FCA's list of approved suppliers. Oops. "They'll never notice" was what one department manager that spec'd the coating company said.

Lol

Also, the gaps where the ram box lids are seem to be rather large and inconsistent. Certain colors show or hide this better than others.

I love the ram box idea too, but I'd rather have them removable for when you need to haul more bulky things. Lock and load style.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Chvymn99 likes this.
  3. Horkn

Horkn

Also, the 2.7 ecoboost handily beats the ecodiesel in all acceleration tests. The 3.5 ecoboost is even quicker and faster than the 2.7 ecoboost. Maybe it's the quiet cabin tricking you into thinking the ecoboost is slower?

Taken directly from motor trend truck trend. "But in terms of acceleration and maximum towing capacity, the EcoDiesel is a mid-pack player in the context of today's 1/2-ton environment. Our fully loaded Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 waddled on to the scales at a portly 6091 pounds, on the heavier side of the 1/2-ton spectrum. Consequently, acceleration times were definitely not top of class with an 8.9-second 0-60 run and 16.7-second quarter mile. Both times trail comparably-equipped F-150 EcoBoost by around 2 seconds."

2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel First Test - Motor Trend

4. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

I think his point is still valid. The 3 liter ecodiesel is offered in more than just the RAM 1500. It's also currently offered in Jeep Grand Cherokee form. It was also available way back in the early 2000s in the Jeep Liberty, where it had quite a following. Looks like it may also go into a Jeep Wrangler for the 2018 MY:

Next Jeep Wrangler spotted with 8-speed and EcoDiesel

Side note yes please to the pick up version of the wrangler. Can you say modern day Gladiator! :dex:

Chevy, dodge/Ram, or ford I don't really have a dog in the fight. Ive owned them all. The F150 has had its share of problems in the past too. The eco boost engines are hard on valves specifically. They all have their faults, but your freak flag is showing just a bit.:usa::rofl: :lol:

eatonpcat likes this.
  5. Horkn

Horkn

Those were different motors in the diesel jeeps, prior to the current ecodiesel grand Cherokee.

Those older VM diesels served to work better in marine use than in range rovers or the other vehicles they powered.

Even if it were the same motor, and it isn't, the f150 outsells all of those combined. It has for for a very long time.

94BULLITT likes this.
  6. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Regardless of how many f150s have been sold saying the ecodiesel has problems while ignoring the problems that the eco boost engines have had is incongruous at best.

I'm not looking to get into a brand A is better than Brand B bashing with ya on this. I'm really not looking to argue/bash at all, but your view seems to be shaded a bit by the blue oval sunglasses you're looking through. :cool: The F150 is a good truck. So are the Silverado and Ram. My point is bashing one to build up another is pointless because they each have unique problems. It's the reality of today's manufacturing techniques.

Sorry this thread was beginning to feel a bit like a my stihl saw is better than your Husky in pick up truck form:thumbs:

Jeffrey Svoboda and eatonpcat like this.
  7. Gasifier

Gasifier

There is this. The prices on newer pick up trucks is craziness! You can buy a really nice, well cared for truck with well under 50,000 miles and get it well under $30,000. Then use the other 10-20,000 for something else you want. (Tractor, Four Wheeler, etc.) :dex:

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Well. at least you recognize :rofl: :lol: ( I own neither so... :D)
    Heck I dunno if all the vehicles I have ever owned would add up to 30k (probably would...but barely)

Not trying to stir the hornets here...a legit question that has been going through my mind...would there be more than one domestic truck choice if there had been no bailout? I have co-workers and friends that said never again, but then...
    Does that stuff come into play anymore? Again, don't want trouble...seriously asking. And if you don't want this in your thread Machria let me know, I'll ask mods to remove.

9. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

Me either. :thumbs:

eatonpcat likes this.
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Didn't read all four pages. But I've towed a couple quads, trailer, and enough equipment for 4 men and got 21.7 MPG.

I just went to Eric VW house this past weekend and traveled almost 800 miles, 14 hrs, and averaged 27 MPG with just saws and and gear. Reset this before I left.. I doubt most get 27 in there car on flat ground. Let alone the hills of Va in a full size truck ;) :thumbs:

20160821_174716.jpg

The earlier Dodges rusted much worse.

This 3.0 ecodiesel has been running for a decade or better over seas. Been in numerous vehicles and done very well.

I have done a lot of research and read a lot on the 3.0 liter. It puts up comparable numbers to the early 2000 Cummins ando gets great mileage, along with great towing power coupled with the 8 speed Auto (as Horkn stated). It's not your typical Dodge.. :)

Choose what you want. But to pick a 6 cylinder gas turbo over a 6 cylinder diesel turbo?? I'm LMAO... I'd take my Ram any day.

My opinion after knowing friends with the Ecoboost Ford (aluminum body, but still STEEL frame that will rust) and having the Ecodiesel Ram?

I'm a Ram man.. And I own a 2003 F150. I love Ford. But that little diesel is where it's at!

20160620_170323.jpg

20160716_212232.jpg

20160726_175538.jpg

11. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

And if you do research. This diesel has been out quite awhile. The only reason they went for this diesel instead of a small Cummins. Is Cummins didn't have an engine in this size platform.

They have been in the 1500 for 3 years now (4 starting on the 2017 models shortly). And just like everything else (like the 30-NC reviews online), is they only post the bad.

To think a 2.7 L Ecoboost will tow what what a 3.0 L Ecodiesel will? It has more Ft Lb of torque than the 5.7 L Hemi?!?! :rofl: :lol:

12. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

And yes.. I'm biased because I own one. But did months of research.

Bring your Ecoboost to my place and we'll do real world testing ;)

13. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Here's a real life, true story, happy Ram owner, after a week of 1800 miles worth of driving.....
    image.jpeg
    Nuff said.
    That really is a sweet ride Dex, and the miles per gallon is STAGGERING! And you look happy owning it:thumbs::binoculars::yes:

14. Horkn

Horkn

I'll find the test for you, but these were not little trailers in the comparison. The 2.7 ecoboost outpulled the ecodiesel ram.

I couldn't believe it either at first. The 3.5 ecoboost, yeah, I'd believe that, but the 2.7 is a different beast. It's the next generation of v6 ecoboost.

They all have pluses and minuses. Heck, I don't even own a Ford. I haven't for like 8 years. I've got a Toyota 4runner and an Audi.

The ecoboosts have had some issues, but most were ecu reflash related. If you look, you may find a couple that had catastrophic failures.

The best you can do is to do your research, then buy. Buying blindly is a bad idea.

15. Horkn

Horkn

Here it is...

That's the 2.7, the old 3.5 is more stout, and the new 3.5 is supposed to be even better. So good that it replaces the 6.2 v8 in the raptor for 2017.

eatonpcat and 94BULLITT like this.
  16. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Anyone around NE Ohio own a 2.7 EcoBoost screw...Let's get Mad Dog and them together and have a pull off! We can use my trailer loaded up to 10K and get the truth, I have trouble believing any of the propaganda videos.

17. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

But how does it sound with a pipe!

The problem with these videos is towing is highly situational. I'm sure there are videos out there showing the outcome differently in favor of each brand.

I liked this neutraly written Edmonds head to head for both trucks. Yes the f150 gets the hp nod, but it doesn't feel as stout at the job as the RAM and let's not get started on MPG while towing between the two.

Towing Comparison With Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, Part 2 - 2015 Ford F-150 Long-Term Road Test

I like the aluminium body for the f150 and the new bed system is pretty slick too. To me I think the Silverado wins in the looks department. I wish we could cherry pick the best from each truck.

None of this addresses the inherent issues with a DI engine. That being carbon build up in the valve train. It's enough of an issue that there are just as many folks unhappy with the Ford ecoboost version of the DI engine as are unhappy with the RAM ecodiesel. Maybe more.

Sure you can do water meth injection, RX Catch Can, etc. etc. but some guys do not want to hassel with aftermarket stuff to correct a problem that the manufacturers should have taken care of to begin with. Its not just Ford the others are just as guilty here. Which is why I completely agree with you in not just buying something blindly.

18. ironpony

ironpony

Eatoncat, i will drive the 02 Cummins up, we can use it for ballast on the trailer. Should come in at 10k easy.

19. ironpony

ironpony

Still haven't seen anyone talk about the real truck,
    Nissan with a v8 Cummins.
    The V8 Cummins was developed for the Ram, then Fiat decided to go with their Ecodiesl from Europe
    Nissan won out on that one.
    310hp/555tq

20. cnice_37

cnice_37

I have no dog in the fight here as I no longer own a pickup.... but will the OP ever realize fuel savings with the cost of all the new crap you have to add to the diesel?
    Unless I'm heavy towing or putting on some serious highway miles, I'd look to gas. Unfortunately the EPA makes that an easy decision (for me.)

I like the look of the Ram pictured, I think the two-tone looks good.