In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Kinda ironic Dodge has all the tranny issues considering they were once tranny builders

Horkn likes this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

In the 90's, dodge made trannies were very problematic. I think they have up though, as I see a lot of ZF in FCA products. ZF makes trannies for many automakers, including high end European brands. ZF is a German company.

3. Horkn

Horkn

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Interesting read.
    I couldn't get past page 4 either...pretty much seals the deal for me (post #67 real sceery) stickin with mah old school 5.4 F250

Horkn likes this.
  5. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

In most cases it is cheaper to buy a new truck than buying one that is a few years old.

Barcroftb, Chvymn99 and eatonpcat like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, that makes the occasional blown/ stripped spark plug issue seem really miniscule.

My parents have had one spark plug blow out in 140k on their 4.6 explorer. That's really it. And they complained about that until I reminded them that they still got home, and it was relatively inexpensive to fix.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  7. Horkn

Horkn

If you get zero% financing, maybe you can justify it, but buying slightly used you let the original buyer take the hit one takes after driving of the lot. Most cars depreciate about 50% give or take after 5 years.

MasterMech likes this.
  8. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Most of the used trucks here bring more than a new truck. If you buy a new truck at the right price you don't take a hit on it. It is possible to buy a new truck and drive it a couple years and it still blue book for more than what you paid for it. When you buy a new truck you can get better financing, the dealer will knock some off MSRP, and there are rebates, then you have a brand new truck with a full warranty and you don't have to worry about how the previous owner took care of it. It is not uncommon to buy a new truck for $10k or more off sticker.

Barcroftb likes this.
  9. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

10. Machria

Machria

Huh?? The new F150 platnums are selling for 62 to 68k here on Lomg Island. That is after the normal grand or 2 off the sticker. Used ones with 10'to 20k on them, 1 year old are selling for 44 to 48.

The Ram im looking at has 5k on it, its $44.5k, the sticker on it was $64k.

Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  11. Machria

Machria

Ok, I'm not defending Ram yet, never owned one and have not decided yet. But I can link about 25 different repuatable blog/forums on Ford trucks where you wont get past page 1 from motor replacements, failed software, computers, trannys.... When you sell 100's of thousands or millions (in fords case) of trucks, there will be failures, complaints, lawsuits.... Heck, I was just told im getting $5 grand from BMW/Mini cooper from a class action on my 2007 mini. And it is a decent performing car, still running...

12. Machria

Machria

Yep, they are 8 speed zf's. I love ZF, i have a pair of them on my Yanmars in my boat. They run great....

13. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Go on cars.com and search for new used trucks in your area. You might be surprised at the deal you can find. Also if you call for and ask them for some literature on a new f150 the will send you some stuff and there may be a $500-1000 rebate in that.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

14. Machria

Machria

Thanks for the info again. So, i just got back from driving the Longhorn with the 3.0l ecodiesel, and then another 2015 platinum with the 3.5l ecoboost, this one with 23k miles on it. Th e good news / bad news is, the diesel has more pep then the f150, hands down. I wont try to explain why or how, it just does. The ecoboost feels like a pig to me, tranny, motor?..? It just feels like the f150 is underpowered, or too heavyfor that motor/tranny.

Above 40mph they felt about the same. It also gets much better economy, 27 on the hwy. Now, the Ram does feel like a bigger truck, the steering must be turned alot more to make the same turn in the ford, this is something I don't like in the ram. It feels like almost 2 to 1, meaning i have to turn the steering wheel twice as far around to make the same radius turn.

Other than that, they are so similar in software and features..., its hard to tell which one your driving.

The 2 things that have my interest on the Ram is,
    1. the bed storage boxes, I just LOVE those. No need to keep a milk crate bungied to the bed with stuff in it (trailer hitch, jumper cables, block, small shovel...).
    2. The warranty...

Why doesnt Ford make a bed storage box option? That would end the problem for me!! ;)

Barcroftb likes this.
  15. Machria

Machria

I need to pick a truck first, then I'll worry about negotiating a price.;) I will not have a problem with that, I spend a fair amount of time at work the last 20 years negotiating fairly large deals. I eat car sales dudes for lunch, they are a laugh with their rediculous sales techniques. I nip all that in the bud the second I walk in dealerships. ;)

16. Machria

Machria

It doesnt fit lenghtwise in ANY light truck crew cab... Nobody makes an 8' bed on a crew cab.

Barcroftb likes this.
  17. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I was just joking.... long bed, then buy a 3/4 ton!!

Barcroftb likes this.
  18. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Something else to think about:
    Interior, you will be sitting in it all the time. Take the looks and function of that into consideration.
    Also, would be interested in hearing your techniques for negotiating with dealers :yes:

Barcroftb, Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  19. ironpony

ironpony

Nissan with a CUMMINS.......:thumbs:

Barcroftb likes this.
  20. bassJAM

bassJAM

Before I looked into it for myself, I would have argued with you until I was blue in the face. I bought my 05 Frontier when it was a year old and saved $12k. But "American" trucks and all their rebates seem to make what you say true. I tried looking around for trucks that are just a year old and found that typically they are listed for more, or at least the same price, as a similarly optioned new truck. I spent some time of the forums and found that those guys that buy a new truck every year don't always lose that much on the deal, so I know the dealerships don't have a ton of wiggle room in those used trucks either. That kind of blew my mind! It seems like the prices don't really come down much until they reach 35-40k miles, which coincidentally is when the bumper-to-bumper warranty is over.

Barcroftb, eatonpcat and 94BULLITT like this.