In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Getting a new truck, compare RAM EcoDiesel vs F150 Platnum??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Machria, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Machria

Machria

You guys seem to know trucks pretty well... I'm looking at Pre-owned trucks, low mileage high end trucks. I "think" I'm down to 2 trucks to pick from, what do you guys think? What's the good, bad and ugly?? Both will cost about the same:

2015 Ford F150 Platinum Supercrew with the 3.5l V6 Ecoboost engine
    +/- This one has 20k miles on it, fine with me but the RAM is much lower
    + This trucks looks amazing, has the "cool" factor", 22" rims and wheels...
    + Has regular 4' wide bed (as opposed to the small RAM bed with storage boxes)
    - Has a bedliner instead of a spray-on Rhino type bed liner
    - Engine and drivetrain warranty only 1.5 years left (ends early 2018)

VS

2015 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn with the EcoDiesel
    + This truck only has 6k miles on it, brand new basically
    + Engine and drivetrain warranty good till 2/2022 (that's a great warranty!)
    + Has a Rhino type spray on bed liner
    + Has locking storage boxes on the sides of the bed, kinda like these, BUT...
    - The bed looses some space (it's narrow) because of the above storage boxes
    - It's a RAM, I've always been a Ford guy. ;)

So is the Ecodiesel any good? Drives fine, very quiet surprisingly. I'd says they both seemed to have about the same "pep", or lack of pep I should say. The diesel seemed to have much more torque which makes sense.

p61 western, Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  2. Gasifier

Gasifier

3. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

I am a Dodge guy, since I have snow plowed and pulled trailers with all three American companies. It depends what you are using it for. The Dodge is not a truck....... That model is a large car with a little bit of a bed for storage. My sister has a similar one. Dodge has had a rust problem the last decade or less, especially around the wheel wells. The diesel will get great mileage, and is likely more comfortable to drive.

4. Gasifier

Gasifier

I am not a fan of larger rims and thinner tires though. Don't like the looks or ride. I want a "full tire". Better ride. Maybe you could get them to go with some 18" rims and good tires.:handshake:

5. Machria

Machria

You know, I completely agree, NORMALLY. My current truck (for sale in classifieds) has 18" rims with a lot of rubber on them. I prefer the ride that way much better, especially off road and on the beach where you have to air down. Can't really do that with no rubber on 22"ers. However, 95% of my driving if not more, is around town and occasional long trips on hwy, and having all that rubber on the hwy does not ride that well, it drives like a boat... On the other hand, the 22's prolly are terrible off-road, but will way out perform on the hwy. And as mentioned, this particular truck looks REALLY nice with this setup on it. It has hydrolic running boards that go up/hide when the doors are closed, which makes the truck look higher, with big rims/tires.... it just has that really "cool" look to it. I'm not one to normally go with the look over function, I'm normally a more practical type guy, but this thing just has my (and my wifes!!) eye for some reason.

What's killing me is, the GREAT warranty left on the Dodge, that is a long time to have a warranty! And I know and have herd very little about this Eco Diesel, is it any good...? But with a warranty oput to 2022, who cares, worst case it spends some time at Dodge, on their dime! I have 2 drivers and 3 vehicles, so it's not that big of a deal for us to get service...

I agree, the RAM felt ALOT more like a high end SUV or big high end sedan (caddy...) than a truck. It feels long(long turns...), but very comfy driving, and a really soft ride. Most of my driving with the truck is around town back and fourth to my marina a couple miles with some boating and fishing gear in the back, and to go skiing in winter (4 or 5 hours each way to VT...). Then throw in the odd-ball scrounge for some wood I see at a construction site or whatever where I drag my splitter down and buck and split on site and fill the bed with splits. This is the downfall of this truck, the bed is only 50" wide since the wheel wells are enclosed with the BedBox storage things.... it probably doesn't make that much bed space difference in reality, but it sure looks a lot smaller! Then I'm thinking, lately, I've been getting most of my wood locally (in woods) or from tree service deliveries, so do I need the bed space for wood anyway? Not really....

So do I go the "smart" route and take the waaay better warranty, cool bed storage boxes (which I really love on the RAM!), and smaller bed with a comfy ride, but kinda ugly two tone paint job?? Or the way "cool" looking, bigger bed truck, with a shorter warr., and stick with the F150?

Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'm a Ford guy too...but we will need pics to decide ;)

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

talked to my buddy that sells the economy diesel.. and cousin that a mechanic and ford guy.. great little diesel BUT it will not tow as long as you know that before hand. in short dodge will rust ford might be better.. both easy to work on diesel more money.. all I got good luck

8. Machria

Machria

ok, good idea, here ya go.... And I should add, the RAM has 20" wheels (factory)....

RAM 1500 Longhorn:

Side.JPG

Ford F-150 Platnum:

Side2_resize_resize.JPG

9. bassJAM

bassJAM

I've been doing a lot of research on 1/2 tons lately as I'm looking to replace my 2005 Frontier with something larger. I'm a Japanese car guy and 5 years ago I would have went with a Titan or Tundra, but both are pretty old designs now so I've been reading everything I can about Ford, GMC, and Ram for 6 months now. I've been looking for a 2015 or newer.

Honestly, I wrote off Ram pretty quickly. People I've talked to in person or read about from the forums say the 4th generation Ram is an excellent truck for a couple years, but after that it starts to show its age pretty bad. The ride gets worse, creaks and squeaks start to show up, and it kind of turns into a 10 year old truck in only a few years. That's not something I want to deal with, no matter how good the warranty is as I plan on keeping my next truck for 10 years just like my last one. So between those 2 I'd absolutely go for the Ford.

The only thing I'd worry about with the Ford is 2015 is the first year for that model. I haven't heard of many problems, but sometimes those won't show up for a year or 2. The good thing is the 3.5 ecoboost is proven by now so I wouldn't worry at all about the engine other than poor fuel economy. But it'll tow anything you need it to so I'm surprised you say it lacks pep. The 3.5 EB is Fords largest motor in 1/2 tons and I've yet to hear anyone say it lacks power.

Also, if you're into technology Ford head unit in 2015 had Sync 2 powered by Microsoft. In 2016 they updated to Sync 3 powered by Blackberry. The new version is faster, has less crashes, and has iPhone Carplay and Android Auto capability. That's a big deal to me, it might not be to you.

Horkn likes this.
  10. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Have you looked into how much the oil changes are for both trucks. I'm pretty sure the ram is well over $100. Pretty sure the filter alone is $60. That's at the dealer by the way.

11. Machria

Machria

Thanks for the input.... As an IT guy, me likely techy! I did like the tech in the F150, but I have to say, the RAM is surprisingly similar in that, similar display, similar if not all the same features and settings... I really didn't see any noticeable difference in either of them, but of course I didn't get real deep into it. But I did pair my iphone6 in both of them in 20 seconds, made a call and both worked flawlessly. Are you saying the Sync 2, in the 2015 F150 will not play music from my iphone wirelessly (Bluetooth)?

As far as prep, I found BOTH trucks do not have the pep my old 2002 F150 with a 5.4l Triton engine has.... they are both smaller motors, a bit more efficient an a lot cleaner (emissions wise), so the "ECO" part of both are killing the "pep". They both feel very "heavy", and I noticed your really have to punch the F150 down to get the turbo's spinning and get it going from a stop or slow roll. The diesel in the RAM actually had better pickup off the gun, but the high end (30mph and up) was a bit more sluggish. I think all that torque works great to get it going, then it levels off where as the ford has no torque until it is going 30+...

Incadently, I keep all mare cars/trucks for a long time. Hence I'm just replacing my 2002 F150, orig owner.... So this new truck will likely be with me the next 10 or 15 years, so this is a long term choice. One reason that warranty is enticing!

PA Dan, Barcroftb and Horkn like this.
  12. Machria

Machria

Not really concerned... once every 10k miles which is once every year or two for me.... The Ford is probably $80 at Ford as well.... no biggie there.

13. bassJAM

bassJAM

The 2015 will still pair with bluetooth and stream music. But in 2016 it'll actually "port" your screen for certain apps to the main screen on the truck. You can get your maps to show up there, or control some music apps.

Actually that's not entirely true. 2016's didn't have Carplay or Android Auto from the factory. Android Auto will be available with an update, Carplay will require you to buy a part from a dealership, no word on the cost. 2017 F150's will come with everything from the factory.

As to pep, I haven't driven a 3.5 ecoboost, but I have driven the 2.7 ecoboost and was amazed how strong it ran. It was had no problem chirping the tires from a stop without even putting the pedal all the way down. You might want to try to drive another truck with the 3.5, it almost sounds like something isn't right with the one you're looking at.

14. Machria

Machria

Thanks. I did drive 2 of them, they were exactly the same. They are big, heavy trucks and the 340(?) hHP claim might be correct, but I'd bet it has a VERY sharp HP to RPM curve, meaning it has no HP until it is really spinning. That is normal for Turbo engines.... I have twin Yanmar turbo diesels in my boat, and it is the same, it take a bit to get them spinning up, but once they do it takes off....

I'm not complaining about that fact, just an observation compared to my 2002. I'm not a speedster at all, and don't pull much of anything (splitter), so I don't really need the pep or power so much, I prefer to save on fuel (better economy), but most important to me is longevity since I will have it 10 or 15 years.

15. bassJAM

bassJAM

They are heavy, and the Platinum is the heaviest with all the options added on. If fuel economy is important you might want to look into the 5.0 V8, it should do slightly better although it doesn't really make power until you rev it up either. Reliability of both engines seems to be about the same.

16. Machria

Machria

Wow, the 5.0 V8 does better than the 3.5 V6?

Barcroftb likes this.
  17. bassJAM

bassJAM

In real world driving it seems to, probably 0.5-1.0 mpg better. The 2.7 eco does the best while still making great power (arguably more power than the 5.0), but you can't get it above a Lariat trim.

18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I think you should buy both of them and give me the one you don't like!! Heck I will take the sweet looking 02 that you have for sale!

Barcroftb, Chvymn99, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  19. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Compare rust issues between the 2 trucks.

20. Gasifier

Gasifier

Do you remember what that Chris Farley said in that movie about why the other company needed the long warranty on the product they were selling? What was that movie again?

If you are going to keep the truck that long I would say buy the Ford. How long have you had the Ford you have now? A haaaaa!