In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

From The Days Of Real MEN

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by campinspecter, Aug 29, 2014.

1. campinspecter

campinspecter

Someone a while back asked If I knew where any of these were? This one was featured on my older brother's work shop wall!

100_2073.JPG
    It was Woodwidow's grandfather's and He used it to cut firewood with it at Kits Beach in Vancouver in an area where chainsaws were not allowed. He used it up until he was almost 90 years of age. One of the Parks Board workers who cleared the beaches of debris and logs liked the old gentleman so much that he would set logs up on cross logs far out of the sand for him! When Woodwidow's grandfather passed away 15 years ago at 1 day and 1 month shy of 100 yrs., this saw became ours. An older brother fell in love with it, took it home, sharpened and restored the finish and featured it on his shop wall. Well, the sad part of this story, my brother recently lost a short battle to stomach cancer so the saw has now returned to us and will be proudly displayed in our family room. The tooth guard that was made by Woodwidow's Grandfather is one solid piece and was curved using a steam box!

2. rookie1

rookie1

Really nice treasure. Good way to remember 2 family members. :(

jetjr, campinspecter and mdavlee like this.
  3. mdavlee

mdavlee

I want one of those to go with the single man one I have.

campinspecter likes this.
  4. burndatwood

burndatwood

My condolences on the recent loss of your brother. Good to have things in the home to remember your family members by. Guy I work with had a grandfather who would cut up 16 cord of wood every year with a cross cut saw - never had a chain saw. They were tougher out of necessity!

5. Stinny

Stinny

Very sorry to hear about your brother Allan. Sad loss I'm sure. Bet he'd be glad to know that saw is now in your family room.

6. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Allan you are a wonderful person, as is your lovely wife. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy yours and her stories and such of yesteryear, this story being a particular moving one. My heart goes to you for the loss of your brother to cancer, I feel he's in a much better replace than us now, but that doesn't make it easier. That saw has such a rich family history, what an awesome display piece. Thanks for sharing the saw and the story with us......

rottiman, mdavlee, jetjr and 7 others like this.
  7. fishingpol

fishingpol

A true gem of a piece. So many stories are lost in time. It is great to know the history of the saw and the man that owned it. Condolences from us too.

mdavlee, jetjr, Stinny and 5 others like this.
  8. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

9. milw saw

milw saw

Speaking of "when men were men", as an aside, I had original Mall literature that gushed all over themselves how light their products were. They showed a 60 year old guy working overhead with a 35lb OMG saw.... & smiling because it was so light. I owned one & lucky I didn't need a hand truck to move it.

CTYank, rottiman, Stinny and 3 others like this.
  10. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Great story Camp! The last time I saw a saw like that was at the fair on display. Nice piece of history, thanks for sharing. btw, did you enjoy your calzones?

mdavlee and campinspecter like this.
  11. jetjr

jetjr

Awesome saw and history to boot. Sorry about the loss of your brother. Cancer is probably the hardest row to hoe. That is a great way to display it to honor the two loved ones.

12. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Keep-sakes keep memories alive.
    The saw's new home fits it well !

13. campinspecter

campinspecter

They were great !:)

14. Certified106

Certified106

That is truly a piece of history! Thanks so much for sharing that with us and my condolences on both of you losses.

campinspecter and mdavlee like this.