In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fiskars coming through

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Oldman47, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Oldman47

Oldman47

I posted this picture of my busted loppers a couple of weeks ago in a thread and someone asked if Fiskars stood behind the loppers like they do with the X-27. Today I got this E-mail

Your new tool(s) or replacement part(s) has shipped! Your package should arrive within 7 days. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Who knew they would do that? Now the only question is if they are sending the replacement blade or the whole darned thing.

[​IMG]

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

looks like Foiskers will come thru!
    :thumbs:

3. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

They will send a whole new brandy new. I have had a pair of loppers and hand bypass pruners replace in the past.

Jeffrey Svoboda and Oldman47 like this.
  4. ironpony

ironpony

Fiskars good quality, better warranty

Canadian border VT likes this.
  5. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

Good info...I have several pair that have done the same thing.

ChipsFlyin likes this.
  6. RCBS

RCBS

Fiskars warranty is on point.

How the 'ell did you do that?? I have cut grapevines with them so big it takes two chomps to get through the whole thing! Can't tell for sure...are those the power gear loppers?

ChipsFlyin likes this.
  7. bocefus78

bocefus78

I have the fiskars all steel shovel. I managed to bust the weld and they sent a new one right out. They are a great company to purchase from.

Dakota Hoarder, ChipsFlyin and RCBS like this.
  8. RCBS

RCBS

I have that same shovel. Try not to use it much. Post hole diggers too. Im one of the original Fiskars fanbois.

Dakota Hoarder and ChipsFlyin like this.
  9. Oldman47

Oldman47

It was real simple. I was cutting up the branches I took off my maple so the village would be willing to chip and remove them. (The village uses an 8 foot length limit on pruning removals) I went to the small end of a branch where it was about an inch in diameter and as I closed on that branch it suddenly got way too easy. I ended up using a conventional, non-geared, Corona brand lopper to finish cutting up that load. The handles on that Corona were not much longer than the Fiskars handles but on this load of branches I didn't need much leverage to make the cuts.
    In the past I have cut up branches with these Fiskars loppers that would barely fit into the jaw and as you noted it sometimes took 2 passes to get through them. There must have been some kind of crack already started in the metal for them to have failed as easily as they did.

ChipsFlyin and RCBS like this.
  10. RCBS

RCBS

I only ask because of the abuse I've put mine through without issue. Maybe my day is coming? I like Corona's products too and almost bought a pair of 2" loppers recently at Lowes...but I already have a perfectly good Fiskars 2" power gear set. I also have 2 pr of their 1-1/2" capacity model.

11. Oldman47

Oldman47

Well the part came in today and it was just the broken blade, the black part in the picture. Well the new one isn't broken. It looked like a simple repair to me. Just the 2 bolts you can see in the picture that one of my screnches actually fit. I can't believe how many ways you can put 3 flat pieces of metal together with just 2 bolts, but I think I tried them all. I finally put the new blade on the hook shaped piece paying close attention to the wear marks on the old broken blade. When I had that bolt semi-tight I added the other handle and its bolt and suddenly everything fit.
    When I examined the broken blade I could see the crack that eventually became a broken blade. It started at the sharp edge of the blade and extended almost all the way to the thicker flat part of the metal. The fresh break starts where that original crack left off and is obviously a very fresh metal surface. It looks like there was an intact very thin surface that would hide the flaw from visual inspections so unless you did something like a mag-particle test you would never know the crack was there.

RCBS and HDRock like this.
  12. RCBS

RCBS

Interesting. All of the replacements I've heard of previously have been entire tools. Perhaps that is becoming too costly for them?

13. ironpony

ironpony

in this case i can see the blade being a regular wear part that they would sell separate. on other tools they are an assembly not made to be replaced by consumer.

14. ChipsFlyin

ChipsFlyin

I'm surprised too. Both of my warranty claims ended up full replacements. One was a smaller 18 " lopper 2 piece design with the tip broke and a hand bypass pruner with the handle over the steel falling off. I'm pretty sure that I worked both harder than they were meant for.:whistle: Neither had a bolt on small piece repair - That might be the difference.

Edit: Opps just saw ironpony's post ya what he said.

RCBS likes this.
  15. Oldman47

Oldman47

The cutting blade on this particular geared lopper is designed to be easily replaced and it seems they took that approach to making me happy, which it did. What looks like rivets in my original picture is carriage bolts with locking type nuts on the other side. Even with my confusion about how to reassemble it I was done in about 10 minutes.

Dakota Hoarder, Dancan, Hammy and 3 others like this.
  16. bushpilot

bushpilot

They did you well.

RCBS and Hammy like this.
  17. dusky

dusky

Hmmm, do you have to have the receipt? I have a broken pair of lever action pruners sitting out on my fence...

18. Oldman47

Oldman47

I basically submitted the request with nothing but my memory of about when I bought them. No receipt in hand and not even sure of the date.

RCBS and dusky like this.
  19. Pazora

Pazora

Just wanted to join you guys in giving credit to Fiskars for their excellent service. My X17 head came off the other day, i contacted Fiskars through facebook, and even though we agreed that the problem was probably due to using a mallet on the axe head they sent me a brand new one as a summer gift! So not replaced under warranty, simply replaced due to good customer service!

HDRock, RCBS and Dancan like this.
  20. Oldman47

Oldman47

The picture that Photobucket now refuses to show.
    [​IMG]

HDRock, Dancan and RCBS like this.