In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

First Pile/Season

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MJK Farm, Sep 11, 2017.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Good advice, CBVT !

Horkn, HDRock, Eric VW and 2 others like this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yup, that could be a problem but maybe not. Is the stove big enough that you could stand some on end and then fill with the rest laying flat like normal? Or for the time being you could perhaps cut to 16" and also cut some to 12 or 14" or whatever is needed to fill the length of the firebox? Sort of do whatever is necessary.

3. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Welcome to the club, MJK Farm. Looks like you have a good start, but being it isn't completely seasoned, you might want to look into getting some dryer stuff to supplement this coming winter.

Do you have any access to standing dead maple, ash or oak? The barkless standing dead are primo stuff for helping get through a starter season, look for good dry stuff. If you can find it now, get it split and top-covered, it'll be helpful this winter. Methinks were in line for a decent winter this season, looking at how it's been all summer here in PA...

Keep in mind though, the bigger standing dead oak will still be wet in the core and will need see seasoning time. Look for standing dead maples, oaks, and even elm if you can.

4. Warner

Warner

Yeah the plan for now is to keep cutting till I get enough for next year with the big stove then move to 16 inch for the new stove. If I'm capable enough to figure out what 16 inch is im pretty institionalized I have a hard time figuring new things out

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Nice to meet you Warner :) HDRock fashioned a cool gizmo for cutting his longer rounds to fit his stove. There's another funny thread here called "tetris", worth a looksie.

Also, I made a mistake buying a stove (it's has a line strike through it in my signature), the firebox was too small for our needs/weather, just food for thought.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Horkn, Backwoods Savage and HDRock like this.
  6. HDRock

HDRock

MJK Farm
    If you can't find enough dead wood you can always buy fuel blocks if that's in your budget .
    They are called eco-bricks, bio-bricks, wood fuel blocks , firewood bricks etc , they burn hot and long , you can mix them in with less than dry wood.
    An example FIREWOOD BRICK TIMBERSMART
    You can also find free pallets , cut em up and burn them

Horkn, wildwest, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  7. Warner

Warner

Thanks. One year I cut most of my wood an inch too long it was a long winter stuffing logs in kitty corner that won't happen again!

8. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

Good point on the eco bricks, I was scared to ask around here being its FHC. I thought that might be like talking about a diesel truck in a Prius forum :rofl: :lol:
    I was planning on grabbing some for tests to toss in overnight as I learn the ins and outs of running a wood stove through the winter!

9. bocefus78

bocefus78

Prius forums exist? I'm off to do some serious trolling :D

10. HDRock

HDRock

No worries, whatever keeps you warm, don't be afraid to ask anything.
    One thing about the Eco bricks though, get them early or they might not be available, you might not be able to get them

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

12. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

Scotty, it's hard to believe but I walked the property last weekend and there isn't much standing dead. I believe I'll have to supplement by buying some dry wood to get through the season. The next few months will be processing the downed large oak in the back for years to come.

13. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

Hah, easy I'm too new here to start trouble!! :salute:

14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I ordered a Coors Light when micro breweries started popping up in Colorado, then entire place went silent and they all looked at me like that old stock broker commerial.

15. HDRock

HDRock

I'm still curious are you going to be heating 100% with wood?
    Here's some other info on the Eco bricks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  16. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

Hello Backwoods Savage,

Really great advice here, and you are spot on with your points. You are right I am still learning what a cord is. I think the math just clicked though for the 16 inches x 3 is 4 feet! :)

I think I may do an "un-boxing" of the new stove in the stove forum and am looking forward to the efficiency. What did you do with your old stove, do most people just decommission them? Is there a secondary market?

You called it with seasoned wood. That pile I thought was 2 cord was "seasoned" yet it hisses in the fireplace...:eek: I called someone in the local paper last weekend also with "seasoned wood," he said it had been sitting for 2 months!

Thanks for the insight, I'll check that link you included in your post.

17. MJK Farm

MJK Farm

We have an oil boiler in the basement that runs the shower hot water and is connected to baseboards for heat. I do intend to use the heat function as little as possible.

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

MJK Farm what size house there is an awesome used Woodstock IS in another thread around here.. my house is complex large may levels and vaulted ceilings.. I went from 10 to 12 cord a year to 4.. I'MO a lot easier to get 3 years ahead if that's 14 cord instead of 35 cord!

19. HDRock

HDRock

You can sell it for scrap, I put mine on Craigslist it was in good shape sold it for $175. 00
    Some people like the old stoves to put in their garage

20. HDRock

HDRock

It's not easy to find truly seasoned wood (dry wood) to buy, if you do find it, it will probably be at a premium price.
    What I did a couple of times is, I went and checked the wood out, took a splitting axe and the moisture meter, split and checked some pieces and walked away because the wood was 30 - 35%

Backwoods Savage, Horkn and papadave like this.