In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Fahrenheit Endurance teardown and cleaning

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by 343amc, Oct 11, 2014.

1. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

My pot is version 4. Which looks just like yours, but you have guide slots in the top receptacle (why you can't put a gasket up there) and the bottom of your pot is a "V" that comes to a point. Mine is like a V also, but has a 1/2" flat spot in the bottom (each side plate has a 1/4" flat area at the bottom). But other than that, ours are pretty close to the same. The non auto ignite models have a completely different pot design and it's cleaning action is also different. I have only seen a few pics of them and I still don't fully understand the function.

Also, early models did not have air wash in the firebox door. And the intake sail switch is different on the early models.

The last print I have is of my pot. Which is 4. I know they made an updated version and I assume that is V5? But I am unsure. I would have to ask Matt Fitts or Mark Graham at Fahrenheit

ivanhoe likes this.
  2. 343amc

343amc

I call mine version 1A, as I know mine is a generation 1 unit but it had some retrofits done after the original owner bought it. My serial number is 2349.

As far as the auto clean goes, the upper burn plate extends and a fire starts on top of that. After a couple minutes, the lower burn pot assembly is pushed forward inside the pot frame, pushing the crap into the ash pan. The lower pot retracts, the upper burn plate retracts, the burning pellets fall into the burn pot and life is good.

ivanhoe and DexterDay like this.
  3. BAN83

BAN83

Hi imacman, I'm new to the forum, but been lurking here and at hearth for a few years now.

I decided to join both places as I'd like to start talking with you guys as everyone here seems to be a wealth of information.

I bought an endurance in the spring and am rebuilding it and was curious to know what the part number is for the oversized combustion impeller you've show here?

Thanks in advance and love reading the goings on here and at hearth.

ivanhoe likes this.
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Welcome to FHC! !

I bought a very large impeller off of don2222 last year for my Fahrenheit. The original impeller in on the left, a Quad impeller in the center, and the new impeller (MUCH better flow) is on the motor.

We have 7 or 8 members with this furnace including you. So start a new thread (if you haven't) asking any questions you may have!
    20140929_170847.jpg

ivanhoe likes this.
  5. BAN83

BAN83

Hey Dex,

Thanks for the welcome, big fan of following your posts. Thanks for the information, I'd seen in an earlier posting of yours that you had bought one of don2222. I'll have to message him and see if he'd be willing to sell me one and ship it to the great white north for me.

I'll definetly start a new thread as I have lots of questions lol. My stove is a 2006, if I'm reading the test date properly, and I understand there are many updates that you can do to the furnace to help it perform better.

Also, I've got a few pics showing the progress of overhauling it as it was really tough when I got it.

ivanhoe, jtakeman and DexterDay like this.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to your future posts!! :)

ivanhoe likes this.
  7. imacman

imacman

Hey BAN83 .....I actually don't have an Endurance. That pic was of the exhaust impeller from my Englander 10-cpm.

BTW, welcome to the BEST forum where everyone is friendly. Lot of beer drinkers here too. LOL

ivanhoe, BAN83 and DexterDay like this.
  8. BAN83

BAN83

Oh! lol ok good to know. Dex set me on a path to talking with Don, who got back to me today. So I'll see how it works out. I need to check shipping costs. It can to be a bit crazy to get parts over the boarder sometimes.

Beer drinkers? Jeepers I don't know if I can ...(where'd I put my beer)... be here now.

But yeah, glad I finally joined after a lot of lurking. I can't believe how quick people are to chime in on stuff. So big thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

9. Old Fart from Eganville

Old Fart from Eganville

That teardown info will come in handy for me when it is time to do a major clean up. I don't follow written instructions very well so the pics will be a big help for me. Thanks a bunch.
    Old Fart:doh::headbang:Then its time for a :cheers::cheers::cheers:

BAN83, DexterDay and ivanhoe like this.
  10. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Does the vent on the back of the furnace that connects to it , have to be removed for cleaning? It's sealed ohh so nicely but I don't see how else to get from the ash pan hole to back of furnice clean.

ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  11. 343amc

343amc

I pull mine each season, but that's mostly because I have no other way to clean the exhaust path from the combustion blower back. The newer units have an access plate that can be used to get to the combustion blower. Not so on my gen 1 model.

DexterDay, ivanhoe and jtakeman like this.
  12. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

I'm going to try that today. Is there a list or how to, on getting our furnice clean? Way different then a stove.
    Meaning where do you start ? The furnice or the vent? Do you hook up the leaf blower and leave it on the whole time?
    How about the mechanics, the actuator arms, etc?

13. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I hook up the leaf blower and just run it the whole time when I do a full cleaning...

Well, I run the lint-eater through the vent first. Then I hook up the LB.

Every year I take off the top deflector plate in front of the heat exchange tubes and clean them from the top and clean the top of the firebox. As well as remove the combustion blower and clean the housing and blades on the impeller.

(Take off deflector in pic, then remove small plate behind it to clean top of firebox and top of exchange tubes)

14748498009741231619734.jpg

14. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

So I cleaned today for 3-4 hours including the new venting outside. Here are some pics to help out the noobs like me with cleaning.
    I did indeed leave a lint blower running the whole time and had the wife outside watching.
    I used the lint eater and it worked out GREAT.

I started by removing the deflector, 4 screws.
    image.jpeg

Then the exchanger cover, 4 screws BUT go SLOW. These screws will BREAK! From the heat up and cool down cycles. Notice the left one:bug: but a whole season and no problems yet.
    image.jpeg

Then I removed the access panel for the exhaust fan:p 6 screws , then 4 bolts for fan cover.
    image.jpeg

Now that everything is removed, time to see what she looks like. I never cleaned it from last burn which I normally don't do but things happen and I must have forgot.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is the fan door, pretty good accumulation there.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ivanhoe likes this.
  15. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

image.jpeg
    The T cap inside filled perfectly to top.
    image.jpeg

Here is outside looking in.
    image.jpeg

ivanhoe likes this.
  16. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Now onto the cleaning, tools of choice were nylon brush and throw away paint brush , lint eater and leaf blower.

This was a tube of copper I had laying around , worked out great as I was able to bend it for hard to reach spot on top of exchanger tubes.
    image.jpeg

Here I ran the lint eater from inside behind ash pan, through the side where it goes to exhaust blower. I left the ash vac running while I did this and worked GREAT! No ash cloud lol.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here I was going to town on the tubes , from top down to bottom and on sides.

image.jpeg

All in all not as bad as I thought. I got into the flow and stopped taking pics. For the vent I removed the inside T cap, was easily able to get the lint eater in ALL the way to fan and had ash vac running to catch it all.
    Then I ran the lint eater straight up 5ft or so with leaf blower running and my wife said she saw a huge black cloud shoot out :rofl: :lol:
    Lint eater really rubs the vent clean and I was surprised. Added the new vent outside since I was on a roll. I have to finish inside maybe tomorrow, that's the easy part. I do want to remove the control panel and access the actuators for greasing. Last season I started to hear more of a squeal sound, a cry for lube:p

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    ivanhoe, 343amc and jtakeman like this.
  17. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

If you look at the side of the furnace (control panel side). There is amother small panel you can remove and you can run the lint eater across the whole back channel. Instead of the furnace out to the blower. Much easier IMO.

But if you've never seen it or been told, going in from the stove works as well.

ivanhoe likes this.
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Very nice write up by the way. I use a BBQ Grill wire brush for the top tubes (about 8" across and has a long handle). Cleans them very well with little effort!

ivanhoe likes this.
  19. Triple A Arsenal

Triple A Arsenal

Thanks! I need a brush for the back wall, behind the chute. Looks like is has to be long, but skinny. I fit the ash vac clear tube from the bottom behind the ash pan, all the way up and I can hear it sucking ash out. But I didn't have that type of brush, maybe a round lint type brush?

ivanhoe likes this.
  20. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I believe they are lint or fridge "coil" brushes.

Here is one I like a lot.

1475027053072-1301862017.jpg

ivanhoe and Triple A Arsenal like this.