In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Epoxy for filling cracks in furniture.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by fishingpol, Aug 19, 2017.

1. fishingpol

fishingpol

I am in the middle of a mahogany writing desk restoration project and I have some cracks to fill from where the wood dried out.

Has anyone used epoxy to fill racks and sand it after? I'd like to tape the ends of the board so it does not run out.

My question is, does epoxy soak into the grain and leave a dark blotch in the wood after?

My thought was to stain, seal with poly and then epoxy the cracks. Sand and apply one more top coat. The top is not perfect as I am using 100% of the original wood. It needs more sanding, but it seemed like a good spot to stop to tackle this part.

1503172944796-387273097.jpg

Eric VW, will711 and wildwest like this.
  2. will711

will711

I really don't know but I would try it on a piece of scrap wood first or in an area on the table that is not visible . Hope this helps .

Eric VW and fishingpol like this.
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol

Thanks Will. I picked up some 5 minute epoxy and wood filler. I later read that epoxy doesn't take finish and poly doesn't stick well to it. One website said that epoxy will discolor surrounding wood.

After sanding off the old finish, I found many small cracks and decided not to repair any. I believe it will detract from the look of it, especially if the fill-ins are lighter.

I'm at two coats of mahogany stain now and I'll reassemble it and add another coat as needed.

20170820_122254.jpg

4. will711

will711

You made a wise choice Jon , I didn't think the epoxy would take the stain . I think the cracks give it character , and it looks awesome by the way :thumbs:

Eric VW and fishingpol like this.