In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

EPA approves new woodstove emissions standards

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by savemoney, Feb 4, 2015.

1. savemoney

savemoney

EPA approves new woodstove emissions standards
    The rules, which will reduce new stove emissions by two-thirds in five years, get mixed reactions from stove manufacturers, including Maine-based Jotul North America.
    By Tux Turkel Portland Press Herald
    [email protected] | @TuxTurkel | 207-791-6462
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The federal Environmental Protection Agency on Wednesday released long-awaited rules aimed at reducing air pollution from wood-burning heaters, including wood stoves, pellet stoves and both indoor and outdoor wood boilers.
    The rules in general will require many stove makers to begin producing heaters that are less polluting beginning this year, and up to 70 percent cleaner by 2020. The new emission limits target fine particles and toxic compounds associated with smog and various health concerns.
    Additional Images
    [​IMG]
    2013 Press Herald File Photo\John Ewing New rules in general will require many stove makers to begin producing heaters that are less polluting beginning this year, and up to 70 percent cleaner by 2020.
    The new standards update existing emissions levels set in 1988. Since then, new technology has made it possible to build wood heaters that are more efficient and less polluting, the agency says.
    The new rules don’t cover stoves or heaters already in people’s homes, nor do they extend to indoor fireplaces.
    The EPA rules also allow time for stores to sell stoves that meet the 1988 levels, through the end of 2015.
    Heating with wood is a cherished and thrifty tradition in Maine. A greater percentage of homes use wood as their primary heat source – 14 percent – than any state other than Vermont, according to U.S. Census figures. An estimated 50 percent of Maine homes also use wood as a supplemental heat source.
    The wood-heating trend is good for cutting energy bills, but not for air quality. Older wood stoves, especially, churn out more of the pollution that aggravates asthma and other respiratory conditions than the oil and gas heating systems they’re meant to supplement or replace.
    The new rules are based on thousands of comments, a public hearing and months of input from businesses. They have been of intense interest to Maine’s only wood-stove manufacturer, Jotul North America in Gorham.
    Bret Watson, the company’s president, said Wednesday that the new rules won’t have an impact right away, because all Jotul stoves now burn an average of 4.5 grams of emissions an hour – much cleaner than the 1988 standards for noncatalytic stoves of 7.5 grams per hour. But the EPA is calling for emissions to be cut to 2 grams per hour in 2020, and Jotul opposes that.
    “Step two, if upheld, will be a game changer,” Watson told the Press Herald.
    To achieve 2 grams, he said, the company would need to add catalytic combustors to all its 14 models, which would cost more than $1 million overall. He estimated that adding the technology to Jotul’s most-popular model, the F 500, would add 15 percent, or $375, to the cost of that stove for a buyer.
    Watson predicted a legal battle over the standards between his trade organization and various environmental and clean-air advocates. He called the more-stringent standard a “look good, feel good” regulation that wouldn’t be effective.
    The trade group, the Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association, had a mixed reaction. It applauded the EPA’s decision to phase in standards for warm-air wood furnaces and give manufacturers time to develop and test cleaner models.
    “Conversely,” the group said in a statement, “we believe the agency missed the mark in other areas. For example, some of the future standards proposed for wood-burning appliances do not meet the government’s duty to set standards based on data that shows both a tangible benefit to consumers and cost-effectiveness.”
    The association added: “Our industry does not oppose new emission standards. We simply want to ensure that these future standards produce a real clean-air benefit that consumers can afford. We will continue to work with EPA and other stakeholders to address our remaining concerns.”
    The new wood-burning rules were generally embraced, however, by an advocacy group in Bethesda, Maryland, that promotes cleaner-burning technologies.
    “Overall, we think the EPA did a good job and released a fair rule that includes many compromises between industry and air quality agencies,” said John Ackerly, president of the Alliance for Green Heat. “We think these rules are good for consumers and will not drive prices up hardly at all, but will result in more efficient appliances that will save consumers time and money.”
    Ackerly called the 2-gram-an-hour standard for stoves in 2020 “fair and reasonable,” and likely to lead to more and improved catalytic stoves.
    “We think delaying the standards for warm air furnaces for one to two years was a mistake,” he said.
    Tux Turkel can be contacted at 791-6462 or
    [email protected]
    Twitter@TuxTurkel

2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I only read 2 pages of the report but it seems good for the industry. The manufacturers have 5 years to comply and it also includes OWB, which may be one of the worst offenders. I know we have a little of everyone (burner types) on the forum at FHC. It's a good read for updates in the policies

wildwest likes this.
  3. Gasifier

Gasifier

:popcorn:

wildwest likes this.
  4. Gasifier

Gasifier

Good thread saves. Hopefully it will lead to cleaner air for all. But I doubt it will soon. It will take a while to have big effects.

I sent a very imformative letter to the EPA not long ago and told them if at the same time they passed these out to guys like smoke show, rottiman, loon, thewoodlands, Scotty Overkill, fishingpol, and a bunch of these other guys that cook and eat so much with wood, and end up sharing their "joy",
    upload_2015-2-4_17-20-29.jpeg :chef: :grizz::stirpot: :flipeggs::beerbbq::MM::camping:they could have a lasting impact as well.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  5. fishingpol

fishingpol

I won't add too much to this.

It is all well and good for the big picture. Part of the problem will be getting people to put seasoned wood in these things.

I'd like to see manufacturers focus on testing bio bricks in their stoves. So many people are challenged in getting truly seasoned wood. A dry bio brick would make life a lot easier for a lot of people. Convenient, ready to burn, no bugs, and no bark. I think there is a good market for bricks. I know quite a few people who have stoves, and not enough seasoned wood that would have bought a pallet or two.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  6. Certified106

Certified106

While all of this sounds great I really don't care for the EPA getting any more involved than they already are. You think stoves are expensive now just wait until the price skyrockets from all of this forced compliancy. Then wait a few years and the EPA will try something stupid like putting the burden of proof on us as consumers to test and prove our setup is burning efficiently within their standards or they will shut us down. I just really see this as a long slippery slope aimed at shutting down wood burning. I need to stop now before I really get going........... I will say this though if the market would support these ideas and the cost justification was there wood stove companies would get there themselves without a government agency forcing it down our throats.

7. Horkn

Horkn

I really like the idea of bio bricks. Each one of those pretty much guaranteed low emissions. Compact, dependable, easy, and neat. I'd buy a pallet of that.

8. JA600L

JA600L

The future of wood burning could be interesting. They could add sensors, actuators, and a controller to determine air adjustments and burn rates. They could also monitor moisture content in the firebox, log fault codes , and enter a limp in derate mode when unseasoned wood continues to be used. They could send the fault codes to the epa and they could come give you a fine. However, its a lot easier just to ban them completely. Let's just be happy that they are giving wood burning a future.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. savemoney

savemoney

While bio bricks are clean burning and convienent, they are not the fuel of choice by most of our wood burning crowd. Most of the wood burners I know want to stay connected to the harvesting of their own wood. The cutting, the hauling, the splitting and the stacking. They have a sence of freedom and independence also of being the provider. Wood burning is going to be controlled so long as there'd are many of those who take advantage of their neighbors by not following good burning practices. Here, that is like preaching to the choir. I don't like vigilantes going about anymore than I like the government cleaning up the problem. But somehow, good wood burners will need to be pro active in educating those who are are dirty burners. Lots of potential there.

10. badbob

badbob

Will be interesting,as next insurance companies will want stove upgraded when selling/buying house.With that being said,as long as states that do not enforce vehicle modification laws(here) every time you pull up to a stoplight and the guy next to you has changed the exhaust on his diesel truck you are getting more pollution in your lungs than you could imagine,and very hard on children.

JA600L likes this.
  11. Oakman69

Oakman69

I agree
    I believe the epa's goal is not cleaner air but rather put such onerous standards on the stoves that price most people out of heating w wood all together. There are alot more enviro Nazi's in epa than real world "people"
    Unreal how us American s just accept what they shovel down out throats.
    Smoky unseasoned wood is mainly issue.
    When I burn 2yr oak I never see smoke!
    Trick is to leave vents or door open a bit until stove is hot and wood is engulfed coal ed up. Then close down..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    Norky and BCB like this.
  12. Oakman69

Oakman69

Give them time..
    Its time we stand up to the epa and kick out the enviro Nazi's

http://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/utah-winter-wood-burning-ban-air-quality/41029379

Norky and BCB like this.
  13. Oakman69

Oakman69

I dont trust these people in the epa.
    John Ackerly, president of the Alliance for Green Heat. “We think these rules are good for consumers and will not drive prices up hardly at all, but will result in more efficient appliances that will save consumers time and money.”

I fully understand we need to be good stewards of the environment and clean up after ourselves but by far can argue they hurt alot more than help.. its not american to just take it in the.. but argue valid points so they listen to us instead of we listen and comply w everthing these entities say

splitoak likes this.
  14. Todd

Todd

Looking forward to new wood stove designs but IMO the regs are good enough except for those smoke belching OWB's. Education is probably the key to proper burning not more Fed regs.

15. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

I believe these new regs will make the situation worse. Poor wood in a more "finicky" stove (due to the new regs) will make for a bigger train wrench for many burners and will turn off many folks to wood burning.

splitoak likes this.
  16. BDF

BDF

Well, on a very different note, perhaps there is some good news buried in these new regulations: if more stoves (most? all?) are going to require catalytic combustors, perhaps that will drive competition up and the price of combustors down? Maybe, once there are enough combustors in use, and considering the new S.S. combustors do not really deteriorate in use other than the catalyst on the surface being worn away, a 'refurbish' program will start up where old combustors are washed (acid etched) and re-coated with new catalysts, reducing the price to the consumer? This could be a left- handed win / win, especially for a lot of us who already own wood stoves that use combustors; we are grandfathered but the big increase in combustor use may benifit us in the supply and cost of the combustors.

Just a thought.

Brian

17. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Or it just drives up demand and the price.:zip:

There are several tube burners that come in under 2.0. So it can be done.

splitoak likes this.
  18. mike holton

mike holton

yup, cat stoves are generally easier to get there with but it can be done with non-cats as well. our 30-nc is a 3.5 CF firebox that tested to 1.6 GPH and its generally harder to get a "big box" unit to burn clean compared to a "small box" one

19. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Can some of these stoves that are close be change just a hair and make the cut? I see the Madison is at 2.5. It would stink to have to scrap such a newly developed stove.

20. splitoak

splitoak

once again dry wood is key...that is what people need to understand...the stoves we have now are very clean burning..mine emits no visible smoke when burning...education on good burning techniques is what is required not tighter regs....

Oakman69 and MightyWhitey like this.