In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

England Stove Works Model #: 50-SHSSW01

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Kimberly, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

I stopped by Lowe's to see what stoves they have and found an England Stove Works Model #: 50-SHSSW01

Shop Summers Heat 2,000-sq ft Wood Stove at Lowes.com

The stove is from their Summers Heat line but is not listed in the online catalogue. This stove is a bit smaller than the NC-30. One advantage is that it does not require more than ember and spark protection on the hearth. It sits higher than the NC-30. Price is around the same as the NC-30 with shipping costs from Home Depot.

Has anyone used one of these stoves or can give any sort of comments/feedback?

[​IMG]

clemsonfor, milleo and Horkn like this.
  2. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

I believe that's their new "Madison" model..................under a different name.

concretegrazer likes this.
  3. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, the booklet did state The Madison on the front. There was one in a box that stated Summers Heat on the box.

4. chris

chris

$749 at my local Lowes. I can only comment on the NC30 which heats my 2000ft ranch mostly by itself in much nasty climes than Kentucky ( well most years any way this one for the books 22 of Dec and I can count the number of light frosts on one hand and the number of days below freezing on same) On the other hand I have to remove my shoes to gain enough digits for all the raindays. One very small snowfall so far gone same day. This ain't normal Toto.
    Just waiting for Mother Nature to dump the whole bucket list on us.

Horkn likes this.
  5. Kimberly

Kimberly

I would really like some feedback on this stove and someone else mentioned that their might be another stove from England Stove Works, The Monroe. The NC-30 seems to be a nice stove but I would have to spend around $125.00 to buy the mineral board to get the R value. If the above stove or another could give me close to the same heat output, the Madison is rated at 65,000 BTU, Emissions: 2.48 g/hr, Efficiency: 72% (78% LHV)

6. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I bet a call directly to Englander or maybe send mike holton a pm would get you some answers. Englander makes solid products and I haven't heard many complaints about their customer service.

I like the way you are thinking...saving $ on the hearth and putting that $ toward a new stove.:thumbs:

milleo likes this.
  7. Kimberly

Kimberly

I just found the big sister to the stove I listed above; Model #: 50-SHSSW02; this stove is larger and takes up to 22 inch logs and states heating 2400 square feet. Shop Summers Heat 2400-sq ft Wood Stove at Lowes.com Lowe's has it listed at $899 in my area.

8. bushpilot

bushpilot

Interesting seeing the new lineup. But you can still get that 30 for 649 + 99 shipping, delivered to your house. That makes up for the extra cost of the hearth, and it is a proven design.

Whether you buy from Lowe's or Home Depot Kimberly, go to Raise.com and pick up some discounted gift cards to pay with. I bought some Lowe's gift cards yesterday at lunch at 9.8% discount, and went shopping there in the afternoon, saving about $25 or so. Certainly worth the few minutes it took to buy the cards.

Greg

milleo and wildwest like this.
  9. bushpilot

bushpilot

Having said all that, the Shop Summers Heat 2400-sq ft Wood Stove at Lowes.com looks to be a great stove, with incremental improvements, like the wraparound heat shield, the reduced hearth requirements, and it looks as though the air control is above the door? Perhaps they improved the air control precision?

Hmm ...

milleo likes this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

They have something they are calling the automatic air set-back system. I am not quite sure what that is about.

11. Kimberly

Kimberly

I found this in an article about new stoves:

The Smartstove by England Stove Works was displayed at the Wood Stove Decathlon on the National Mall in 2013, but it was still being certified by the EPA so it was not part of the competition. The stove has an “automatic air setback mechanism” which is a primary air control with a rotating trigger which controls the opening and closing of air vents. When the operator starts a fire, they gives the stove maximum air and sets the trigger. When the stove gets hot enough, the trigger releases and primary air is reduced, while still providing ample secondary air. - See more at: Heated Up!: Automated Wood Stove Features Entering the Marketplace

EDIT: the link to smartstove at England Stove Works returns a 404 on their site.

milleo and concretegrazer like this.
  12. bushpilot

bushpilot

Interesting. The top air control on the Lowe's model does look like it could be this, which is said to be their setback mechanism design.

[​IMG]

This could be a great stove, and probably is. The 30 and the 13 are known to be great value stoves. Since I cannot afford to be a beta tester, so if I were buying now, I would stick with the known. Who knows what might go wrong with that simple little mechanism. Pretty cool though.

Where's mike holton? Sure would be nice to hear more of this stove. I appreciate that the various stove companies (Englander, Woodstock, etc.) continue to improve their wares.

Greg

13. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Maybe that is what bobdog2o02 was talking about in another thread?

wildwest and bobdog2o02 like this.
  14. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

That's exactly what I was talking about in that thread, it's reset manually and shuts ALL air down during an over fire

15. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

I believe that one is a madison?

16. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, the manual has "The Madison" on the front cover.

17. Kimberly

Kimberly

The big sister is big; I found the manual for it and you need a hearth that is 49 3/4 inches deep; for the required 18 inches in front of the stove.

18. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

My 13 is an awesome heater per the "size" of the unit..................and will heat my 1100sq,ft, ranch without problems if I'm there to reload the stove on 6 hour schedules based on my 4 year experience with this stove. The 30 would by better in my house because of the "longer" burns. Love my 13; but wish I had gotten the 30.............................or the Madison, if I knew more about it!!

19. jeff_t

jeff_t

20. colin.p

colin.p

Cool. That does appear to be a nice stove. A little pricey up here but then everything is. I wouldn't mind looking in to it myself, as I'm looking into a bigger stove.

Attached Files: