In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★☆ Electric splitter suggestions

Discussion in 'Wood Splitters' started by wheelin1, Mar 26, 2017.

1. wheelin1

wheelin1 Guest

I just scored 2 free cords, I am thinking of buying an electric log splitter, I need 3 cords per year and will usually buy my wood, but occasionally get free wood. Was looking at a boss model 7 tons any thoughts or suggestions?

Deadwood and Eric VW like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Deadwood likes this.
  3. chris

chris

I would suggest a search on the net - there is a company out of rockford IL that makes one about 15 ton - much more useful - somehow those small electric rigs have morphed from 4 ton to 8 ton range although nothing has changed on them. Actually any gas splitter can be converted to electric drive most the 15-20 ton are running 5hp gas so a 3.5hp electric on 220v single phase would work fine. just got to pick an appropriate rpm range to match pump

Cold Trigger Finger and Horkn like this.
  4. wheelin1

wheelin1 Guest

I seen a 22 ton electric too but it's 1700 little pricy may consider a champion 25 ton

5. wheelin1

wheelin1 Guest

Or we may rent one for a weekend too

6. wheelin1

wheelin1 Guest

Anyone have a swisher electric splitter?

7. MikeyB

MikeyB

I just picked up the Boss 7 ton in December and I love it. Got it from Log Splitters direct, great people to deal with.
    I grabbed the 4 way splitter wedge, log tray and wheel kit for it. It's a pretty powerful machine, I split through 18" green oak rounds with no problem with this machine. I don't burn much maybe a cord per year and this fits my needs nicely.

Attached Files:

8. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

The "5 Ton" electrics are all pretty similar. Some say 4 ton, some say 7 ton. Harbor Freight used to offer a 2-speed 7 ton, but no more. I have and love the Homelite branded model, $300 at Home Depot.
    Homelite 5-Ton Electric Log Splitter-UT49103 - The Home Depot
    I burn 3-5 cords/year and have had it for 8 years. I will buy another when/if this one dies.

9. MikeyB

MikeyB

Is that your video Craig? I came across that video when I was researching an electric splitter. Love the stand and the foot pedel for the operation. Could you share your idea on the foot pedel? Would love that for my Boss.

Thanks,

10. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

Yes, that's my video.

I finally got around to taking a few pics. This is one of my "Stupidly Simple Designs".

This first one is the attachment to the hydraulic control lever. From here, the cord goes down to.... P1010435.JPG

the foot pedal, which is attached to the frame by a 3 in. leaf hinge. The cord goes thru the eye-screw (which acts as a pulley) and back up to the.....
    P1010437.JPG

the electric control actuator. This is a 3 in. tee hinge, attached to the plastic button guards by self-tapping screws.
    P1010434.JPG

I had to open the electric control box and dismount (unmount, demount?) it from the frame (do not disconnect the wiring) in order to tip it out far enough to attach the hinge.

I see some of the other models have the button on the side of the box. The same thing could be accomplished with a similar approach and a single pulley to make the vertical pull from the pedal into horizontal pull for the hinge.

HTH

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  11. MikeyB

MikeyB

Thanks Craig, looks awesome. Was your log splitter originally set up for two hand operation?

Horkn likes this.
  12. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

Yes, one hand on the button, one hand on the lever, the split falls on your foot. My original mod was just two pedals, blocks of 1x4 hanging from cords (they're still attached). I decided I was spending too much time bent over and struggling with large rounds, so I built the stand and consolidated the controls to the single pedal.

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Definitely a nice table he's got there! Im actually intrigued! I went looking at the HF splitter and I think it is decently priced at 279.99 here. I liked the video a lot that round he put on the thing was about as big as mine is that I need this for.
    Just not as thick probably half that but its very knot bound. Im a little worried for the splitter actually!

Horkn likes this.
  14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Mikey can you tell me your model number?

Horkn likes this.
  15. HDRock

HDRock

FatBoy85 likes this.
  16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Thank you Im actually inching toward this idea since any rounds over 18 inches, thats just ridiculous to heave ho into any trailer. These are rated 10-15 inches I saw bigger than rated but handled it well. Its the knots Im worried about.

17. HDRock

HDRock

Not all electrics will return with motor running contentious and lever released, mine did, I just clamped the power button down and just used the hydraulic lever to operate.
    Split 1.jpg

Cold Trigger Finger and milleo like this.
  18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Huh. Is this likely an override switch doing this? Maybe a way to say something isnt working right inside or computer malfunction?

19. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

Computer?!!! roflmao2.gif

My Homelite will not return if the motor is running. Most likely something in the hydraulics, as these are too simple to have any real brains. I like not having the motor running continuously, I can hear the birds. While all of these electrics look very similar, there are enough differences to make me think they are not all made by the same company. The Chinese are not known for their respect for patents.

As for the tonnage claims, that's all just advertising. Unless there is something physically different (cylinder size, two-stage operation) about a particular unit, I'm betting they're all the same.

20. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

I just came across this Yardmax unit. With stand and table $299.

upload_2017-5-7_11-20-44.png

Attached Files:

Cold Trigger Finger and MikeyB like this.