In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Electric heat pump?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Warner, Sep 20, 2017.

1. HDRock

HDRock

One thing I didn't know about this heater is, there is some heat comes out the bottom.
    My cat pointed this out to me as I found him stretched out by the wall under it 45 minutes after I plugged it in, he's there right now too :rofl: :lol:
    Checking with the IR thermometer, It's 85 degrees down there, heater runs at about 440-460, wall directly above it is 150-160, the outside of the heater is 90-100.
    Cat fur is about 104:D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    papadave, bogieb and wildwest like this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

FHW = forced hot water.

I did go to the website and looked around a bit, but somehow missed some of that info.

Hmm, inside wall problematic in one room. That's what happens when you have small rooms, two outside walls and actually want furniture in there. But, that is also having to take into account that I can't block the FHW fins that are the length of the longest outside wall. I'll keep them in mind as options - probably not happening this year but at that price you never know . . . Might be worth it just to get a couple now and hold on to them.

papadave and HDRock like this.
  3. Stinny

Stinny

Oil fired steam boiler w/ old radiators. They put in 2 heat pumps downstairs, one in the liv room and one at the opposite end of the house in a kids playroom. The 2 heat pumps aren't anywhere nearly enough when it gets really cold. And the basement gets colder because of the lack of much heat coming from the big old furnace, because it doesn't come on as much. It's not what they need for the house and it's always cold when Grammy goes down to help with the kids. The heat pumps are great if you're sitting right in front of them. As a viable replacement heat source, for the whole house, I'm not impressed.

4. bogieb

bogieb

Cats are so helpful that way - pointing out the warmest place in the house :D

papadave and HDRock like this.
  5. HDRock

HDRock

They will work on an outside wall just not quite as well .
    I thought you wanted to to remove the FHW from the bedrooms.

Anyway
    I figured I would post this cuz , you never know right :)
    I'm buying 1 more , found a discount code at retailmenot 15% off one , free ship,

Subtotal:$139.95
    Coupon Code (MNDC16):-$20.99
    Shipping (Free Shipping):$0.00
    Grand Total:$118.96

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    bogieb and papadave like this.
  6. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Dave those appear to be glorified electric resistance heaters.. ALL electric heaters are 100% efficient.. Cost of electricity is always the issue.. BTW a 475 watt electric heater is pretty weak as heaters go..

papadave likes this.
  7. papadave

papadave

I know Ray. We have an elec. heater we used in the bathroom when FIL was here, and it did a good job for that, but the room is only about 60-70 sq ft.
    Probably at least double the wattage too.
    I put it in the bedroom once and it didn't do a whole lot for that room. It's about 220 sq ft. Doubtful the Envi would do much either.

raybonz and Stinny like this.
  8. HDRock

HDRock

I'm not buying that all electric heaters heat the same even if they are the same wattage, or even the same type and wattage, I've had many different ones and used them in the same room, same spot, I don't really go by what's on paper I go by, actual in use.

Stinny likes this.
  9. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

One thing I don't understand is that they say the electric resistance heaters are 100% efficient. That assumes that all electricity is turned into heat. If the heating element turns red, then then some electricity is used to generate visible light that doesn't provide heat. Also, if there is a fan associated with the device, the electricity it takes to drive the fan doesn't go toward heat (unless the fan motor heats up in the process of driving the fan). IMHO, saying that electric resistance is 100% efficient is close to being correct but not necessarily 100% correct.

Stinny and HDRock like this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock

Another thing I found out with the electric heaters is, you buy cheap that's what you get, they don't heat well or they quit working after 3 months

Stinny and stuckinthemuck like this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

Yes, I do want to remove the FHW from the two rooms so there is the potential move stuff in one room over to that wall after the FHW is removed. The other room (what I use for my bedroom) has a bay window in it over the existing fins, so moving dressers over to that wall is not something I am willing to do.

But, a 15% code off 1 and free shipping - I'm gonna have to go look for that.

The heaters that HD and I are discussing doesn't have a fan.

My bedroom isn't much bigger than your bathroom (~100 sq/ft) so I don't need a whole lot in there.

HDRock and papadave like this.
  12. Warner

Warner

Headed to the fair today maybe there will be a vendor there I can talk to.

bogieb likes this.
  13. bogieb

bogieb

Used the Retailmenot coupon code and order 1 heater. Thanks for posting that!

HDRock and papadave like this.
  14. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Volts X AMPS = Watts.. No magic to this.. A 450W heater is a very weak heater.. All power will provide heat therefore is 100% efficient.. The losses will occur at the power plant and associated power line losses.. Incandescent lamps are inefficient because what you're looking for is light however much heat had to be created to obtain this light.. LED or CFL lights for example use very little power to obtain the same amount of light and very little heat is produced making them much more efficient..

bogieb likes this.