In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Edged tool restorations

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by fishingpol, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I am always impressed with the hardness with some of the these old axe heads. Put a file to the edge and you will see.

HighCountry and fishingpol like this.
  2. Rook

Rook

I noticed that too. Had some nicks I took out with a file on it. Took some effort.

HighCountry and Mag Craft like this.
  3. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I use a stone to get an edge instead of a file. Just like doing a good hard knife blade.

HighCountry and Rook like this.
  4. Rook

Rook

I only started with a file to get a couple bigger dings out. Finished on stone.

HighCountry and Mag Craft like this.
  5. Bert

Bert

These will keep me busy for awhile. More yard sale finds.:loco: :crazy:
    002.JPG

6. Bert

Bert

7. TripleF

TripleF

Hafted this Plumb Scout hatchet and added a leather handle guard. Hoping it all stays together.....I'm very primitive in my abilities right now.

IMG_6438.JPG IMG_6440.JPG

8. fishingpol

fishingpol

Nice work. I have not seen one with the Scouts emblem stamped in. The handle looks good too.

HighCountry and TripleF like this.
  9. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

Got an old Pickaroon head on Ebay and just put a handle on it... made a rivet out of a bolt to give it more strength and ground a new spike on it.

Works great, hope it'll save my back a bit when I'm splitting next time! Tape on the spike in the pic because it's SHARP! Need to definitely make a sheath for it.

50198494029__BC06C789-813B-4BFA-897C-6B46A288C475.JPG 50198493195__5F636210-974F-4881-8E7B-4AA1568C2A6F.JPG

Gasifier, blacksmith, Dancan and 3 others like this.
  10. fishingpol

fishingpol

Any marks from the manufacturer? Nice finish on the handle.

If anyone needs a long rivet made or something particular to finish a piece off, I can forge one up and send it to you.

11. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

No marks that I could find. Handle is just hickory with some stain. Going to hit with Tung Oil and put it into service!

HighCountry likes this.
  12. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

IMG_6835.JPG IMG_6836.JPG Pickaroon is done! Will be pressed into service next time I split! Definitely need some form of sheath for this puppy! Ended up with a minwax stain followed with a thin varnish and red paint because red is my favorite color :)

13. fishingpol

fishingpol

As much as I like the plain steel, the red gives it a nice "forestry" look to it. Nice job on the restoration.

HighCountry and blacksmith like this.
  14. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

I wanted to paint it red so it's more visible for safety reasons because I'm big into lowering risk and also Red's my favorite color! :)

HighCountry likes this.
  15. JIMBETHYNAME

JIMBETHYNAME

Heres two handplanes that I restored.
    The one in the forefront is a STANLEY #4 1/2 smoothing plane circa 1902.
    The little feller on the book is a STANLEY #3 circa 1940s
    They both had snapped handles that I epoxied back together. I also stripped them down and restained the handles and front knobs.
    Needless to say they were both covered in rust. 20170227_164147.jpg

16. JIMBETHYNAME

JIMBETHYNAME

I know I need to oil them. They have been sitting in my hand tool box I built about 10 yrs ago.(planes havent been sitting for that long lol)

HighCountry likes this.
  17. JIMBETHYNAME

JIMBETHYNAME

This here is my 4ft 2 man cross cut saw thats still in the works.
    So far I stripped the finish off both handles and stripped the rust off in a vinegar bath. Thats why the blade is so dark. I need to fix a crack in the main handle and the just stain it and find someone that can sharpen it. 20170227_165644.jpg

18. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

I just got my hands on a felling saw. Needs a handle. It's sharp, though! Probably could use a tune up, look forward to some learning with it.

HighCountry likes this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I have a really nice felling axe that I acquired from my grandpa's stuff when he passed, bunch of old tools that folks would just love to see. Stuff that was made by hand and not bothered to be made and sold in a store since it wasn't often a commercially made item. I also have a really cool hatchet i bought at an antique store. Works wonderful, lots of character and the handle is well used but taken care of. I'll post pics soon.

HighCountry and Ronaldo like this.
  20. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0769.JPG

So this is the Sager Chemical Axe. I forgot about the "chemical" part of it. I got this in a rusty crust broken off handle and restored it to its good glossy metal shine but in no way will I polish it. Handle is hickory from true Temper. ( Id like to make my own but the wood around here is way too soft but honestly Id question the integrity of black locust) The black electrical tape hides the wrapping of speaker wire to absorb overswings. I actually busted it a little before wrapping that up:emb: tsk tsk tsk!
    Anyhoo! I still use it to just split open some of the slightly bigger quarters that have been drying. I probably need to heed some warning on the metal pieces you guys talk about to wedge in the head. It hasnt moved but I certainly dont wanna be knocking on wood and one swing later to feel that head fly off to the next town over. Better take care of that. I wonder if finding some of those old style hammered nails would work since they have flattened sides.

Oh my hatchet did make it on here as an optional file didnt show up earlier. Anyways this thing is pretty cool i thought this had the most character out of the bunch I selected out of a bin and while I was choosing between two at the end, it was the handle that made me stick with my choice. No ID STAMPS from what i can see but the hammer strikes have me leading to believe its actually a handmade piece??? Definitely had its fair share of use but the charm on this thing is really cool.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017