In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Earth Stove

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by StihlHead, Oct 4, 2013.

1. StihlHead

StihlHead

They are huge. On the larger ones, the firebox measures about 24"W x 24"H x 16"D which is about 5 cubic feet.

metalcuttr likes this.
  2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I tried giving it away on the other site for quite awhile. Had a line in my sig for months. It sat here for two years after I replaced it and I finally scrapped it this summer.

metalcuttr likes this.
  3. StihlHead

StihlHead

Dag nab it! Well, I suppose it would have cost a fortune to ship it out here. But still, I missed that one 'over there'.

metalcuttr and wildwest like this.
  4. Kat

Kat

We had the earth stove with the scallops on it, and if memory serves me correctly, there was also a model without the scallop design, where it just went straight across. That's what my parents said they ordered. We got the wrong one but kept it anyway. I think they paid $800 and I remember driving out to east County area, maybe El Cajon to the stove store. This was in San Diego in the 1980's. I remember loving to watch how the red triangle on the metal temperature gauge climbed and climbed as the stove got hotter. Years later I'm poking around on eBay and lo and behold, there it is! The people who bought our house apparently donated it to Goodwill and they posted it for sale. The winning bidder was in Colorado and I remember emailing them with the backstory on "our" stove.

5. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Welcome to the Forums Kat!! Beautiful story.

Grab a chair and pull up by the fire. We love to hear stories like that. :)

Again, welcome to FHC! Glad to have you.

metalcuttr likes this.
  6. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Yeah...I like those stories too. I have a friend who tells me all about his earth stove from the 70s and the family's ritual of cutting dead standing red oak and burning them in the stove within 2 weeks of cutting. That doesn't sound like a great idea but they never had a chimney fire. They had 2 Earth Stoves. Sold for $400 in the 80's. His dad was a distributor for them I guess.

metalcuttr likes this.
  7. defiant

defiant

X2:thumbs:

metalcuttr and DexterDay like this.
  8. Certified106

Certified106

Just found and read this thread. Thanks for sharing this info it's very interesting.

metalcuttr likes this.
  9. leschper

leschper

=========================
    Our house was build in the late 1800's and remodeled sometime (we don't know when). We bought the place (West Texas area) in 2006. This is a picture of the stove. What can you tell us about it?

Attached Files:

metalcuttr and DexterDay like this.
  10. StihlHead

StihlHead

I have never seen one like that, at least with the glass door like that. MasterMech had one that was similar in his house that he bought in NY, and was a 1000C I believe. I see that it has a damper on the exhaust, which is not typical for ES installs of that size. Most of the non-cat models have a 3/4 inch galvanized stand pipe that goes up about 5 feet to add air into the exhaust flow in the flue (early attempt at non-cat stove air injection).

Does it have a metal plate in it with the model number in it? It should be riveted on the back or one of the back side corners. It has the same size and scallop count as the 704 and the 1000C models. Some like my 704 have an electric fan attached to the back, and some (again like mine) have side shields (right/left) with passive vent holes at the top and bottom.

MasterMech and Richard Stamile like this.
  11. Richard Stamile

Richard Stamile

12. Richard Stamile

Richard Stamile

i love my earth stove bought it last winter on CL for $500 guy would not down was annoyed now i am glad its great stove for its age
    burned clean, huge fire box i added burn tubes and fabricated a glass air tight door , seems to burn ash down to a fine
    powder i think proves its efficiency even before i installed the burn tubes , did the air wash thing too but it still gets a film after one night
    so i most of the time use the steel door with the original tile on it . If i use good seasoned wood there is no smoke from the chimney , View attachment 31921 View attachment 31921 machinist with a home shop and have tig welding experience
    so this was last winters project

metalcuttr, milleo, papadave and 2 others like this.
  13. Richard Stamile

Richard Stamile

i tried to post this info this is my first time at this not sure if it with the photo? anyway it uses the clay flue the damper on top is rectangle no labels on it at all i think it mid 70s but i don't know i like the roll without the scollops

metalcuttr likes this.
  14. Richard Stamile

Richard Stamile

15. Richard Stamile

Richard Stamile

here it a pic if you look you see the brass inlet on the lower part of the stove those i turned out of brass stock for the air inlet
    there is one on each side , this burn tube mod did help on wood consumption but not the 30% like many of the claims made
    i had the advantage of using the stove without burn tubes and with what i did fined is the ash burned to a fine powder

metalcuttr likes this.
  16. tfdchief

tfdchief

Beautiful stove and hearth!

metalcuttr and Danolink like this.
  17. Richard Stamile

Richard Stamile

Thanks tfchief for and i always sweep the chimney twice a year , Buck Stove was on my short list along with lopi Avalon and a few others would have to travel
    a distance and this earth stove less then a mile away so im warm and happy
    Rich

metalcuttr likes this.
  18. MasterMech

I am a former 1000C owner myself. It would have been a much better heater if I had known what I was doing. :headbang:They have their flaws but were ahead of their time I think.

This was mine, dirty of course. It looked much better all cleaned up.

DSC03285.JPG

metalcuttr, Camber, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  19. Richard Stamile

Richard Stamile

wow never knew of these models with the brass trimmings , what are the flaws ? i find the blower exhaust at the low setting to be quiet
    any not annoying at all and use the mid and higher speeds when i am not in the room and it no problem overnight burns in the morning
    still going fine puts out a lot of heat

metalcuttr likes this.
  20. MasterMech

The way the door seal is constructed it is prone to cracking the steel if the stove is brought up to temp quickly. Ask me how I know....

Mine used 7 inch round stovepipe. That wasn't on every shelf around here. In fact I've yet to see it readily available anywhere around here.

They have a tiny loading door that makes a hot reload tricky without gloves and necessitates small splits of wood.

The glass is tiny and nearly useless since it is not to be uncovered when running the stove in catalytic mode. Also it didn't really have an air wash so when running the stove in smoke dragon mode (bypass open) it fouled the glass quickly unless you ran a very hot fire with dry fuel and then it ate wood like it grows on trees or something.

I didn't hate mine but the cat element in it was dead and I didn't want to invest a couple hundred in it. I offered it up for free for months and there were no takers. So after briefly serving as an outdoor patio heater, I scrapped it. I originally started with a pretty poor setup, bad cat, green wood, and a poor chimney setup so I was ready for a complete reset.