In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

EAB heating my home tonight.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mike bayerl, Apr 7, 2017.

1. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Neighbor's EAB killed ashe heating my home tonight. Making lemonade from lemons.

2. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Im amazed about Ash and its ability to burn green. This isn't a tree youd find here in WA.

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:eek:
    (this is a wives tale)

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Can't be...

5. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

You can burn green wood, freshly cut even. I see people (trying to) do it all the time.o_O :loco: :crazy: There must be something wrong with my stove, it doesn't burn good.:picard:

6. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Ash will be heating my home for many years to come. Let me restate that; well seasoned ash will be heating my home for years to come. And still many more EAB killed trees to fell yet.

7. whitey

whitey

I've heard hackberry freshly cut burns-never heard that with ash

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I really meant that it burns more readily green. At least every time I looked up ash it would be told as able to burn. :headbang: I know this seems like a dumb comment I just haven't been able to burn green wood and this one tops the list in burn capability when cut fresh based on what I have seen on other posts outside of this site too. Don't get me wrong I must be sheep following a popular opinion but works best in an emergency if necessary...

9. Jason845

Jason845

I had an EAB ash fire last night too. Split in January :eek: .

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

If you have an ash tree that you have just cut vs. an ash tree that was processed a couple years back, you would see the difference as well as night and day.

Maybe you are talking about burning it in a fire pit? When I cut ash trees at the cottage, I would always burn the leftovers (tops branches etc) in a huge signal fire. Once you got it lit, it burnt well.

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

OK, I think I see that we're talking about EAB killed trees. Standing dead trees do take less time to dry out, of course. My bad.

12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I'm sure there's a difference between burning green and EAB standing dead.

Anything will burn if you put enough heat to it

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Maybe the consensus that ash trees are often dead when you get to them...? I guess since I have not yet seen Ash before or even how the EAB has caused destruction of such trees. Again I'm seeking the experts on this to set me straight. OP sorry its turned a different topic but maybe a picture of the wood you have that made its way into the stove perhaps would show something?

14. Jason845

Jason845

I think the stories of burning green ash come from people who are used to burning in pre-epa stoves. My dad told me on the farm (70 years ago) they would cut down ash trees and burn it that day.

15. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Years ago we cut in the fall and burned it all winter. Some years it was from a slash pile from logging and after that we got log loads. Either way , we didn't know the definition of seasoned. Yes it burned. But the creosote and flue fires told the real stories.

16. Redfin

Redfin

I have cut a few eab where the bark has fallen off. I still would consider them a green tree. I have 8 on the edge of my field that I plan on waiting to take down when the tops start coming down.

17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Don't believe too much about that ability to burn green. You can burn most any wood green if you have the patience and ash does have less moisture that most trees but it still usually comes in between 35 and 40% moisture. That is not a good burn in my book.

Still, one winter we did burn all fresh cut white ash. I had been injured and couldn't cut at all for a few years. I knew someone who sold firewood and thought I knew him well. Told him I'd buy 6 pickup loads (big pickup but don't remember the size. It did have hydraulic lift for dumping.) and was shocked when he came with fresh cut ash. I about went berserk. He told me to not worry as ash burned great like that. I told him that was pure bull but he could not be convinced. However, I had ordered it and paid so we burned it that winter. We got through the winter but it was a struggle. As stated, any wood will burn green if you have the patience...

NH mountain man and FatBoy85 like this.
  18. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes indeed and when I sawed lumber, one winter we had an order for some special sized wood and it was to be cottonwood. You know how wet that can be. Still, we had a slab fire going every day burning that crap.

19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Im just trying to imagine bow much newspaper and fire starter that translates to.o_O

20. mike bayerl

mike bayerl