In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Drolet Myriad

Discussion in 'Wood Stoves' started by Huntindog1, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

Love the North/South loading as I have never had that in a freestanding stove. The last 3 years I was loading the wood East/West. If anyone has doubts or worries I can tell you these are very heavy duty well made stoves.

Now with all the talk about stove emissions these stoves are on the high side of the emissions limits. But rest assured they still burn smoke free once your stove temps are up to operating levels.

The stove has more control than I was expecting. You can completely snuff the fire out if you close the primary air control all the way.

The size of the stove is stated as a 3.1 and is a modest rating as from all the posts I have read on other stoves that are bigger , this stove will hold just as much wood as some bigger rated stoves. I have heard there are several ways to calculate the sizes of these stoves as in counting the area above the burn tubes or manifold.

As far as the glass staying clean I give this stove a A+. On the Northern Tool website a question was answered by one of the NT Technical persons stating this stove does not have Window air wash to keep the glass clean. I think NT may have lost them selves some sales but almost all the user reviews on that site rate this stove very high. I have been amazed at how well the glass stays clean in these Drolet Myriad and Austral stoves. When I first got the stove, I was playing with just how low I could get the stove turned down and it snuffed the fire and the glass stayed clean even with the fire was smoldering for a while. Now once in a blue moon you will want to clean it but its still an very good air wash system for the window to stay clean.

I think I have spoke about this before but this stove I think is a happy medium in design. Yes it tested with in the limits of the current EPA regulations but its on the high side. There are stoves that tested better. But to get better numbers usually requires that the firebox be more insulated. As in maintaining higher temps in the firebox allows the secondary burn to be more efficient in burning up the smoke gases for a cleaner burn. This stove from looking at it doesnt have firebrick all the way up the sides of the firebox. This allows this stove to be a heck of a heat radiator. You get alot of heat out of this stove. Another factor is that the it has a stainless steel baffle plate manifold rather than a ceramic insulative baffle board with burn tubes. I think the stainless steel baffle plate allows for more heat radiated out of the stove and into the room.

If your heating from a basement and trying to get heat upstairs to rooms above the steel type stoves with better radiated type heat as in having higher peaks in the heating curve does a better job in my opinion. Stoves that are designed for a more slower temperature curve more comfortable heat in my opinion doesnt get the heat upstairs as well. These slower temp curve stoves are convective type stoves and ones with alot of stone mass that heat up more slowly.

This stove is a good one for people who are used to the old fashioned steel type stoves and the type of heat they throw off.

Lastly the bypass damper I just love. It allows for fast start ups and start ups with larger pieces of wood when you are short on kindling. It also makes for no smoke coming into the room. But granted when the out side air pressure is in one of those funks with my basement install even the bypass damper doesnt always help as its more of a matter to get the flue warmed up. As Stoves get air pulled thru them based on the draw of the flue. Stoves dont push smoke up the flue its the other way around. You do have to remember to open and close it and remember which way is open and which way is closed.

T.Jeff Veal, HDRock, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

That was a nice review. Can't wait to get my IS on this thread soon.

3. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

4. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Huntindog1 likes this.
  5. Hoytman

Hoytman

Huntingdog1,
    Can you or anyone give an update on this stove after using it for a few years?

Also, a Myriad II that I looked at I thought had burn tubes in it rather than a SS baffle with holes. Maybe I am not remembering correctly.

Grizzly Adam,
    Would you care to elaborate on some of the differences that you mentioned?

Also, one I recently looked at seemed to have a wobble in the door hinge area...a significant one when lifting up and down on the door from the latch side. I was a bit disappointed because the stove had been marked way down and I had went to buy it.

I decided to go look at another stove to see if it also had a wobble in the door hinge area, but the stove was gone. That means unless I can get some detailed information from some other folks on this I may have to drive a great distance just to check. That’s ok if the door is more solid as I may buy the stove. Otherwise, if the door wobble is common, it would be a wasted trip.

Thank you all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  6. chris

chris

door should not wobble

7. Hoytman

Hoytman

That’s what I thought too...and why I didn’t buy the stove I looked at. If I could find one that didn’t wobble I would likely buy it. Seen some real good clearance prices on them.

8. dave mclenan

dave mclenan

I bought the DROLET AUSTRAL. Doors were fine, gets cold here in b.c. canada our home is older but well insulated, it works great, it was on sale, I love this stove, when I bought it the salesman was trying to upsell me to a quarafire stove, twice the coin for that stove, I was going to buy a pacific energy super 27, but the price of the drolet was so good, and with what my friend told about how his drolet worked so well, I bought it, ALOT OF STOVE FOR THE MONEY, they been making drolet stoves for 90 + years now, are there better stoves yes but for the money IMO you cant beat them we get a 8 hour burn easily with dry larch wood, we’ve had to really wind out the stove on some very cold nights and no problems.