In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Door Gasket Needs Relacement

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by trooper, May 13, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yeah well I know I post a few things out of the rush but folks like Eric VW or savage, they post their stuff but they aren't posting collection of wood, they seem to have more than enough. They're happy watching others for that matter and helping out. Well let it get out of my system now then I can put that intution on auto pilot like they do later on.

2. Highbeam

Highbeam

You do not need to burn the stove until you're ready. The rtv can wait for years! That's what happens with new stoves until you break them in.

I don't try and goop the cut ends of the gasket. Just cut it a little long so you have to compress it just at the splice. Factory didn't try to goop the ends either.

Don't stretch, compress, or twist the new gasket as you lay in the channel.

3. HDRock

HDRock

Good point, but that doesn't make it wrong and at the factory that's a production environment
    There's always more than one way to do it:)
    . I have had them come loose at the ends before but very well could be my error, even though I did cut them long and compress them at the ends.

4. papadave

papadave

:yes:

5. trooper

trooper

Took the door off - was surprised how easy it came off and I hope it goes back on as easy!
    Door Off.jpg

The old gasket came out very easily and then I started to remove the old glue residue from the groove. Used a Dremel with a wire brush attachment, then a cordless vac to suck up the dust.

Cleaning the Groove.jpg

Next step is to cut the new gasket to length, then put the adhesive in the groove, then the gasket on the adhesive. Will wait a few hours until it warms up a bit outside for that.

6. papadave

papadave

You can do that inside.
    I cut mine longer than needed, then trim once it gets all the way around. Nothing worse than coming up short............:whistle:
    Looks like the glass gasket is in good shape.

7. Highbeam

Highbeam

Your stove manufacturer deserves a high five for making the glass gasket replaceable independent of the door gasket. Too many times you have to remove the door gasket to gain access to the glass gasket retainer bolts.

I wouldn't cut the new gasket until right before you drop that last few inches into the silicone.

Oh and you need to set set the gasket by putting the door back on the stove and closing it right away. This evenly seats the gasket in the wet bed so that you get even contact for the life of the gasket. Don't let the silicone harden on the bench.

8. trooper

trooper

I cut the gasket to length, leaving a little extra at the end. I put the RTV goop in the gasket channel, and I didn't find that I needed to work/knead the tube all that much and it came out pretty consistently.
    Goop.jpg

I then put the gasket in the channel, starting between the hinges and clamping at the corners to hold in place. Then I took the clamps off. There was black tape on each end of the gasket, so I took off the tape at the discarded end and wrapped it around the new end - hopefully it will reduce fraying. And I put a little goop on the joint afterwards.
    Joint.jpg

Then I taped newspaper to the insert and put the door back on its hinges. I would estimate that 45-60 minutes elapsed from the time I put the gasket in the channel until I put the door back on the insert. During that time I tried to wipe up as much of the goop on the door that I could.
    Door Reinstalled.jpg

Loctite says that full cure time is 24 hours. Do I just leave the door alone until then?

9. HDRock

HDRock

Yeah , once you get the silicone in the grove , don't dilly dally , you don't want the silicone to start setting up at all before ya get the gasket in .

brenndatomu, papadave and trooper like this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock

Looks good , just wait till tomorrow and check it out .
    Time for :cheers:

brenndatomu, papadave and trooper like this.
  11. papadave

papadave

Ya dun gooder.
    Not sure I'd use quite so much RTV though. A little goes a long way toward keeping the gasket on, and gets smooshed into the channel when you close the door. It embeds into the gasket.
    This gasket has been on the door since 2014, and the fraying isn't an issue.
    IMG_20170521_164952_905.jpg

12. trooper

trooper

+1. I'll see your :cheers: and raise you a cheeseburger in paradise :grizz:...with sauteed onions :)
    CB.jpg

13. trooper

trooper

Thanks papa. Couldn't have done it without the great help from the folks on this forum. You guys rock!
    Thanks for the input on my RTV usage. I still have over a half a tube of RTV left if anyone needs some!

brenndatomu, FatBoy85, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  14. papadave

papadave

Save it for the next changeout.
    Wait, you only made one burger? All that work wudda required at least 2 for me.....w/cheese. :D:chef:

15. HDRock

HDRock

Wimpy's got it coverd
    wimpy.KingFeatures.jpg

16. trooper

trooper

Ha ha..."l'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today" :)

brenndatomu, papadave and HDRock like this.
  17. papadave

papadave

Oh man, you beat me to it. :rofl: :lol::thumbs:

brenndatomu, FatBoy85 and HDRock like this.
  18. yooperdave

yooperdave

19. Oakman69

Oakman69

Looks like that channel is 3/8 in. They have half inch in there. Too big. Use 3/8 fiberglass rope grind shiny and use stove gasket cement fill channel 3/4 full all way around then line up braid in gasket till strait taking care not to stretch rope out of shape. After setting in place in channel, Place a piece of plywood over door gasket with 20lb weight for 15 mins and then carefully remove plywood, mount door then put newspaper in between stove and door, lock down for 6 hrs tp let it set fully.. then Burn fire w door closed and Let cool down . It last for years.

20. Thor

Thor

Forgot to take a before picture :emb:. The butt ends where starting to open up. So I figured for piece of mind I will replace it. I'll have the new gasket tomorrow morning.

1013171712a.jpg

1013171712.jpg

1013171712b-1.jpg

If all goes well I'll be finished tomorrow morning.