In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Doing some Osage Orange recon tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Rangerbait, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

'Tis the season for the Osage Orange trees to starting dropping fruit like crazy, and I'm seeing it EVERYWHERE on the sides of the country roads around here. I'm planning to head out in between errands tomorrow to get some close-up examination of the trees since I'm not really sure if I could pick them out of a lineup if I had to without the fruit.

I'm heading to my buddy's farm this weekend to cut some trees that have fallen since my last visit, and based on the location of his place, there's bound to be a few in his hedgerows.

Since I'm still getting acquainted with the local fuel wood trees around here (this will be my first winter burning; started cutting wood last winter) I'm trying to gather as many different varieties as I can to compare and contrast. So far in my stacks I have a little over 10 cords, including:

Poplar
    Sassafras
    Ash
    Cherry
    Hackberry
    Mulberry
    Black Locust
    Shagbark Hickory

2. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

All good woods, Rangerbait!
    Save for maybe the poplar, but ...Poplar has some great qualities also.
    including a very short drying time and fast heat output.

Looks like we'll get to test out the stoves soon.:yes:

3. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

I'll definitely keep the Poplar around, since it's so easy to find, easy to process, dries fast, and still burns for a good long while in my King, which is way more than sufficient for the shoulder season.

Man, just checked the 15-day, and we still have mostly 70s/40s all the way to Halloween. Crazy...we already had several frosts by this time last year.

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Yep. We burned about a cord of Poplar last year. Worked fine in the IS also.

5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Hey even poplar being short burning woods sound good. Gotta give it credit when it helps not to have such a hot house...

6. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Absolutely right...my wife was already upset with me on the days where the lows were in the 30s , but the highs were in the mid-60s and I threw a couple Mulberry splits in the night before. Took her all day with the AC running to get the house under 78 while I was at work. Oops.

7. Moparguy

Moparguy

Once you see Osage Orange one time you'll never forget what it looks like in a line-up. I actually did the same thing about a week ago on my place and once I found it I notice the trees easily as I drive to work in 55mph zones...even without the fruit. The leaves are BRIGHT compared to most other trees around it and it's not a particularly neat or well groomed tree.

I'm leaving work early on Tuesday to scout around for more Osage on my place since it's going to be nice and sunny. I picked a couple of the fruit up off the side of the road the other day on my way to work and I'm going to try and figure out how to grow them from seeds...not sure on when exactly to plant them or how to prep the seeds.

Nice wood list by the way...I like how you ranked them from worst to best...and yes I know ash was near the bottom..:whistle: I also like burning poplar (tulip). Easy to find, easy to split, dries fast, burns hot, they're huge, and they make nice filler wood for locust and hickory.

8. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    I find that different types of wood are like different tools. They all have their place and use. If all I had was dense long lasting wood in my stacks then I wouldnt have shorter burning time woods that are needed all winter during the times that I need a quicker burn. If I come home a bit later from work than normal I can throw some spruce splits on the fire for a quick hot burn thus keeping the house temps nice and toasty and with the shorter burn time Im able to still meet my night time burn deadline. If I put fir or larch in the stove then it wont be to coals in time for my night time burn. I burn spruce, lodgepole pine, doug fir, larch and a bit of birch. I choose the correct wood out of my stacks for the right burning situation. I dont burn poplar but have in the past although here its the aspen kind not tulip. It has its place, even in the dead of winter. With you having a cat stove I would think the same principle would apply but just on a different schedule. Nice selection of wood by the way! Osage orange is just a dream for us more northerly soft wood burners!

9. Wood Duck

Wood Duck

In WV Poplar probably means Tulip Poplar, not one of the trees related to aspens, right? Tulip Poplar is better firewood than the 'true' poplars.

10. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Yep, Tulip Poplar is what we have around here.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Target acquired!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Midwinter, JPDavis, Ronaldo and 5 others like this.
  12. blujacket

blujacket

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I have to say I chuckled at this pretty good. Im also concerned about my house as I fear I shut up too many gaps. Oh well stove has been ordered and put together. Now for the install today...:D:rootintootin::banana::ithappened:yep yep!! Have fun getting the osage out! Maybe the wife will forgive you if you brought her the "apples" for dining placement.

14. blacksmith

blacksmith

Not sure how true it is but I heard that if you put one osage orange fruit in your house that it is an excellent way to drive away insects, especially spiders! Not sure exactly what you have to do to prep the fruit to keep it from actually rotting? Maybe put the whole fruit in a dehydrator to partially dehydrate it?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I too have heard that. Good use for the monkey balls.

16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

:rolleyes: Dennis...

blacksmith and Backwoods Savage like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I like popular and pine for when I don't need house too hot 20s at nite 40s in day.. I haven't lit fire yet:(:( but I get a lot of solar gain.. today never got over 50 but house is 70 inside.. so no :fire: for me

Rangerbait, blacksmith and FatBoy85 like this.
  18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

60 right now may get down to 50 but rain in the forecast so humidity may be an issue.

19. JPDavis

JPDavis

Finding that wood here, Osage Orange, is like finding a unicorn. I've only seen it once.

20. Warner

Warner

Same here I have spent a fair amount of time in the woods ain't never seen any Osage

JPDavis and Canadian border VT like this.