In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

CS 400 Echo.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by trail twister, Oct 8, 2017.

1. trail twister

trail twister

Love this little saw, use it more than any other saw I own. I do have one problem with it and that is the rinky dink chain.
    Can I change the sprocket and bar and use a heavy duty chain instead of the rinky dink stuff.

I keep breaking them on season Ash, and Elm.

:D Al

Gasifier likes this.
  2. tamarack

tamarack

So the cs400 has 3/8 low profile on it i guess. I dont have any 40cc saws but i see no reason that it couldnt pull .325 on a 14 or 16 inch bar.

CoreyB likes this.
  3. CoreyB

CoreyB

Ya as long as you can get a .325 sprocket/ drum it should do just fine I run a 16" on my Dolmar 421 (42cc)
    The new narrow kerf sp33g from husqvarna is showing some real promise in my testing. What bar mount does the cs400 take. I may have one around.

tamarack likes this.
  4. trail twister

trail twister

Yes it appears MY CS 400 has 3/8 low profile chain on it. The orginal chain broke while cutting a dryed sesoned Hickory limb when the chain was about half way gone(about half the cutters remaining.).

The second chain broke while cutting a seasoned Ash log also half the cutters remaining.

The third broke yesterday when cutting sesoned Elm.

Now it would seem it the sprocket is set for 3/8 pitch I am wondering if a regular profile 3/8 chain would work?

5. CoreyB

CoreyB

Full 3/8 would be a lot of chain for the cs400. I think you would see a loss of performance. Must be some serious conditions. I have not seen anyone break 3 chains . What brand of chain are you breaking?

SAWMIKAZE and dougand3 like this.
  6. trail twister

trail twister

OR E GONE.

My a shorter bar. I have saws with 18 and 20 inch bars to use.

7. dougand3

dougand3

If you broke 3 chains, something is way off here. The wood is full of rocks and iron. Or cutters are real dull and chain drivers and rivets are heating up dramatically.
    And you're sure bar is proper for this saw? Should be an A041 mount 3/8LP bar. Nose sprocket in good shape? Turns smoothly and freely?
    I'd try a loop of Oregon 91VXL - a good semi-chisel yellow chain. Or a Sthil Picco chain - never used but reported to be stronger.

8. CoreyB

CoreyB

I have used a lot of the 91vxl with good results other then the occasional loop that comes new needing sharpening or tuned up / equal out ECT. I have use some of the stihl ps and it is heavier and cuts great just cost me more then the vxl does.

9. trail twister

trail twister

Fresh sharp off my sharper, Bar is fine cut a load of wood today with the second spare chain. Had only cut maybe a half load when the chain broke after sharpening it.

I'll try some thing else.

10. trail twister

trail twister

today I had time to check to see what chain I have. It is Ore gon 3/8 pitch LP S62.

:D. Al

11. trail twister

trail twister

Went to get a couple loops of chain yesterday and talked to the dealer. He said I am about the 10th person who bought chain from him who said they break and have taken them back to him.
    He said the one roll of chain had some sort of flaw in the side straps and the distrubter took it back and is buying back any broken chains brought in. I ran back home and got mine and got 3 brand new chains for what I paid for that old chain that broke.

:D All

Stephiedoll, CoreyB and HDRock like this.
  12. dougand3

dougand3

Well, well, well...mfg flaw. Glad story has a happy ending.

13. CoreyB

CoreyB

Mfg. Flaw that has huge risk potential from damaged equipment to bodily injury or worse. I would guess they would want to find that chain in a hurry. With that said if they where spinning the loops where they messing up. I would like to of looked real close at each break and see if it was where the shop attached the loops. Wrong straps, bad tool , not mushrooming the rivit correctly ECT?

HDRock likes this.