In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Creosote buildup in Central Boiler; help!

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Deer Meadow Farm, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

I've had creosote build-up in my air tube before. Usually once during the burning season I need to pull the solenoid pipe feed tube off the back and scrape/scoop the creosote out. But, this year I am getting this much out of it every 7 days! I have had to clean it 4 times in as many weeks and it's a lot (my hand is big, I need XXL gloves at a minimum). Why is this happening?
    Central Boiler E-2400

Thanks in advance!
    009.JPG

campinspecter likes this.
  2. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

How often is your boiler idling versus full out firing? Do you use any hot water storage (outside of your boiler) to allow the boiler to run full bore when it is firing? Has your heat demand gone down recently causing increased idling? Less hot water use? Better insulation on the house? Just a few thoughts.

TurboDiesel likes this.
  3. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Well, yah it's warmer during the day so I guess it does idle more... I have a teenage daughter so hot water use is the same year round.....

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  4. fuelrod

fuelrod

So you burn year round for DHW and this has not happened in the past?

5. Gasifier

Gasifier

How dry is wood you burn? What species?

6. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

No, I usually stop burning around April but this has been happening for weeks now.

I haven't checked this load with a moisture meter because it was raining at the end of last week; I'll try to check it tonight when I get home. I burn any and all hardwood. This pallet seems to have a lot of maple, birch and cherry on it.

Gasifier likes this.
  7. fuelrod

fuelrod

I think anyone that burn's wood, especially in a boiler of some sort realize's the inconsistencies' of wood's burning characteristics in relation to the boiler's demand. :headbang: One day I'll add storage so I can burn "flat out" to charge it, 1000 gallon's is my "dream" amount, but that takes a lot of space and a huge expansion tank.

8. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

I checked the wood I have st the moment (although it's raining again) and got 14% to 16%. Not the best but not terrible either I think.

Gasifier and fuelrod like this.
  9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Im reading this its a cliffhanger fellas. Deer Meadow Farm, did you happen to improve the situation? From what I know, is your fire smoldering more? Seems you have a cool spot. Something that isn't heating all the way. Im sure curious about the temp thresholds of your burner.

10. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

My situation sucks. I shut down the boiler, at least in the sense that I turned off the power and the pumps. It's been smoldering for almost 3 weeks now. Every day I open it up and scrape/chisel/stir up all the creosote gunk that oozes out from the side and back plates. Each time I do the fire flares up and smokes to a point where I can't work on it. It's getting to a point where it's almost completely burned out; yesterday it didn't flame up. I sent an e-mail to my dealer with past e-mails, photos and videos attached on the 25th of April. I sent it to the Service Manager and CC'd the owner but received no response. I called today and left a message, but received no call back. Very frustrated with Central Boiler right now.... :hair:

FatBoy85 likes this.
  11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

That sucks man, hopefully they get back to you and get this thing up and running. What it sounds like is you got either a plugged up draft elsewhere or not getting much air to it. The clean up may be needed when that cools, I know with my OCD that would be the top of my list to get it cooled and cleaned out. I guess the reason why Im replying is we have a boiler that came off a ship and its large. Placed at Ocean Shores for a camp lot. It is simple in its design but after time ive learned how to make it just burn like the Devil dances. Its something to behold but no blower just wind current drafts. When I open the loading door this can be that flash moment, but we always run it hot as possible on nights when necessary. 30-40 mph winds and torrential rain just bombard it. We still feel warm. Ive stood back about 9 feet and Im still able to feel the heat. Always keeps this sucker pretty clean too. We hardly ever have creosote. Never needed to clean it. The hot temps and all.

12. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

I think the fact that this is an "E-series" gasifier the theory is to run hot then smolder for a while then run hot when it calls for it. Anyway, it either doesn't run hot enough for long enough or something. Plus the air channels along the side are nearly impossible to clean.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  13. Gasifier

Gasifier

Did you have any creosote problem when temperatures were cold enough for it to run more?

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Man, sounds like you have a crappy CB dealer. Maybe try dealing with a different one, some will bend over backwards to help you.
    Sure sounds like something is plugged up and it is not "gasifying" ...not much help I know...have you tried posting this on some different forums? Bad time of the year for it but I know there are some pretty hard core (and experienced) boiler guys hangin out on some of these places

FatBoy85 and Gasifier like this.
  15. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

This year it didn't happen during the cold months but I cleaned it mid-season too.
    I've posted the question on all the forums I go to (but this one is my favorite!)

FatBoy85, Gasifier and brenndatomu like this.
  16. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I believe I just read that yooperdave has a Central as well.

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yup, proud owner of a classic!

Different model that what Deer Meadow Farm has though. Pretty straight forward, basic model.

18. blacksmith

blacksmith

I know where you can find something that will burn that suff out right quick.

You'll have to contact Dr. Emmitt Brown, he makes these special logs that he says burns hotter than the blazes of hell. He used them in a steam engine once! :rofl: :lol:

I am sorry I couldn't help myself. :emb:

yooperdave and FatBoy85 like this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Haha those time/temperature dependent PrestoLogs!

blacksmith likes this.
  20. yooperdave

yooperdave

Always thinking!

blacksmith likes this.