In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cornish Hen

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Daryl, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Daryl

Daryl

Honestly, I have never eaten one before. I bought it because there was a big sale a couple months ago. The hen is sitting in my freezer. I figured I would smoke it at the same time that I do some beef ribs. I have a bunch of questions. Can I smoke both at the same time? How do I smoke the hen? What kind of seasoning or rub do I use? Would I need to make a brine first? I have hickory to use or I can dig up some oak.

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I have made these on a rotisserie a few times but have never smoked them. I would assume turkey rules are in plan-- brine to cure, mild smoke. I think you can do the beef and poultry at the same time, just put the beef on a rack above the poultry.

3. swags

swags Moderator

Been wanting to make them for a while, I need to order some more pellets for my smoker.

4. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

We did 17 (yes, 17!!) in a smoker at.work several years ago (long story). Cooked them low and slow for around 6 hours, smoking them several times for a half hour a clip throughout the good cooking time. Man, were they ever DELICIOUS!

DB, remember, pics or it didn't happen! ;)

NortheastAl likes this.
  5. lukem

lukem

Treat them just like you would a small chicken...because that's pretty much what they are.

6. colin.p

colin.p

I don't especially like low n slow for chicken, as the skin is usually rubbery. I find that chicken likes a fast high indirect heat and then move it over the fire quickly to crisp it up. If you do smoke, use a very mild "flavoured" wood, as the chicken picks up the smoke flavour too easily.

7. fishingpol

fishingpol

Yeah, I make an official request for pics too.

defiant likes this.
  8. defiant

defiant

Or it did not happen!!!!;)

eatonpcat likes this.
  9. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Yes, just cook lika a small chicken. I wouldn't worry about adding any smokewood. IMHO chicken gets easily over smoked and does just fine with whatever the charcoal imparts.

10. Daryl

Daryl

I will be back with pics, good or bad, crispy or rubbery. I've got a date today so I am starting the brine and will smoke the food sometime before the rains come in tomorrow.

11. defiant

defiant

Last time I cooked cornish hens was in a turkey fryer, took 15 minutes to cook, they were great!!!

12. colin.p

colin.p

That takes "fried" chicken to new level, methinks.

13. Daryl

Daryl

Here are my results! The skin turned out a little rubbery like I was told it might. The breast meat though...it was insane! I still have Cubanelles producing red peppers so I threw a couple on afterwards and grilled those up. I was going to make a nice rice mix for on the side but the hen is almost gone. It didn't make it past the taste testing.

[​IMG]

I see you guys talking about deep frying whole birds. That is on my to-do-list!

milleo, fishingpol and defiant like this.
  14. swags

swags Moderator

I love some deep fried turkey. haven't tried a whole chicken deep fried yet but the turkey is awesome.