In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Grahamt

Grahamt

IMG_5701.PNG IMG_5701.PNG I'm not staying up for maybe one hour at 3 am another cider cracked and a log on fire

Sean, HDRock, Thor and 2 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Ive missed a whack of posts on this thread and havent been around much lately. Work and summer happens..... Weve had a very dry, hot summer so far with the worst forest fire season in over 60 years in BC. Lots of smoke and some small and some very big fires happening right now. Weve had a few thunder storms in my valley that make us cringe and the next day we hear of fires that have started because of the strikes. We had a quick on his toes rancher notice a bail of hay catch on fire from a strike a few days ago. He was able to put it out before we had a full blown fire. Anyways its 7c/44f after an hour of glorious rain and unfortunately some more thunder storms. Im liking a a few days of cooling down before the heat returns.

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Mid 40's this morning at 7:00! Usually warmer by then. The occasional branch/limb on a tree that has changed color is becoming less rare now.
    Some trees lining the edge of swamps are already to peak!

Now you're gonna see the wood hauling start.....

4. Sean

Sean

Im assuming because of the heat eh? We have been real hot as well which isnt much fun but we couldnt cut in the woods right now if we wanted to due to a ban on all atvs, off road vehicles and chainsaws. The woods are way to dry. Ive got my eye on some standing dead that is ready to burn and also some green dead that I want to c,s,s for two winters from now.

5. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

From what I've heard/read, it's been pretty horrid for you guys over there. Glad to hear you and your family are safe.

6. Sean

Sean

Thanks. Yeah were good although Ive taken some video on my iphone of the interior of our house in case I need to get out fast. Weve had a number of fires from lightning within the immediate area but theyve been small and air and land crews have been able to keep them in check before they get to big.

7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Naw. It's just that the mindset around these parts is still cut wood this year, burn it this winter. Not enough people have wood seasoned on the three year plan.

"Huh? Three year plan? For wood?" :picard:

8. Sean

Sean

Right! I guess its a bit different for us here although I do see people taking green wood and wonder if they season it and top cover it like I do. I sometimes ask people how dry the wood is in their stacks and often get the response "oh yeah it will burn" which is not the question I was asking.

9. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

48 deg here now, and feels like Sept. which is good. I'm in the mood for cutting, but don't have the time to do so at the moment.

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Feeling good right now as we've just had some rain but I'm betting it will get hot this afternoon. Looks like a hot week to end August so am hoping September brings in some cooler air.

papadave and saskwoodburner like this.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Were going to 95 today. And humid as all get out! Had a few mild weeks by our terms for this time of year. Most days were upper 80s and barely 90 with humidity only in the 40s to 50s.

We're starting peak hurricane season so maybe we will get some more raid which it has been light and spotty the last few months. Hurricane seasons the last several years have been nothing like when growing up, we'll last year had more than previous ones but when I was in middle and highschool, esp , seems like we're were almost always getting a close call or someone was getting slammed.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We had 48 this morning over coffee and decided to hit the water early.

Attached Files:

Backwoods Savage, Boomstick and Thor like this.
  13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

48 dang that's too cold to be out there!! If it's in the mid 80s to us that's cold. Our surface water temperature at the lake we go to is 91f during the day. And the lake is not really shallow either. Deepest part. 100+ feet. Main river channel 40 to 6ft and creeks might be 30ish

14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

When we hit the water it was 58 and the top water temp was 71 with the deepest part at 60 feet.

15. Carbine

Carbine

I don't want summer to end in a way, but ready for some fall fishing and cooler temps. This humidity ain't worth a hoot!

16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I will miss boating weather, but ready to hunt, shoot in the cooler weather cut wood in cooler weather and then have fires. And hope to get snow this season.

17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We'll be in the low 60's tonight with NOAA calling for heavy rains tomorrow.

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We had 67 this morning with half an inch of rain earlier this morning.

Backwoods Savage and Boomstick like this.
  19. leoht

leoht

40f here tonight, it was cold, wet and windy all day today and I had let the fire go out so the house was only 54 degrees when we got home from work tonight.

Got the fire cranked up.
    [​IMG]

82 degrees inside the lounge room now.

Forecast high of only 48 degrees tomorrow with a low of 26f tomorrow night. I won't make the mistake of letting the fire go out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Glad to know you got it back warm in there. That was cold!!

Backwoods Savage and leoht like this.