In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

16'F and VERY windy at 8:50AM EST here on the Mass/NH border. Coldest it got last night was 15'F based on my "min" reading on the cool little LL Bean thermometer I have. I went out to get the papers for Mama and it is COLD! I loaded the Fv full last night and bingo, got up late this AM t a full bed of hot coals and even the remnants of a back log against the rear of the box. Pulled that forward and reloaded and it's a toasty 73'F in here and me an Mama are enjoying the French Roast and some cool piano jazz.

Life is good! ;)

2. Loon

Loon

Sounds like a nice start to a Sunday hippie :cool:

Oldhippie and papadave like this.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We had 8 degrees this morning, I ran the pellet stove last night, 77 in the basement & 67 upstairs this morning.

We have some Maple burning this morning.

Edit; the reason I ran the pellet stove is the recliner, I woke up at 1:48 a.m., so I kicked on the Pellet Stove. :eek:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Loon likes this.
  4. papadave

papadave

Forecast was 10f, but when I woke up, our thermometer showed 6 @ 7:30. No idea what it got down to prior to that.
    Happens all the time.
    I had the stove loaded with 10 splits of Oak, and woke up to a nice bed of coals, the stove at almost 350, but the house was cool at about 65.
    It's really hard to tell, since, when I put the therm. on the stand near the window, I get a reading about 2 degrees cooler than if I put it on my desk.
    I'm goin' with 65.:)

5. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1

she's 26 f. here and blowing steady.

the local ski slope blew snow all last night, and is blowing snow right now....looks like they'll be open for business real soon.

me, since I'm home I'm burning twisted and crooked oak and walnut.

Oldhippie likes this.
  6. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

25 f and howling here at 5:50am. Raked the coals and loaded the ol girl up with some oak. The local news is calling this "an arctic invasion" lol. Im calling it "winter"

Chvymn99, papadave and thistle like this.
  7. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

When the kids grow up and fly the coop, and you got the ranch to yourself, Sunday mornings rock!

8. pistonslap

pistonslap

19 f and very windy here in Pittsburgh. Burning 3yr. cherry in my old smoke dragon furnace. Whole house at 70. Laughing at the gas company.

gmule, rugerman1, charlie and 3 others like this.
  9. rottiman

rottiman

12 with a strong NW wind. Supposed to drop to zero tonight with the wind continuing. Fired up the 2nd stove alittle while ago. House is 73 and all is good watching the Lions

Loon likes this.
  10. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    31°
    Burning birch :)

11. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Still holding at 25F, which is our high for the day. Now threw a split in the jotul to tempt these coals to burn down a bit faster. I'm going to need all the room I can get for tonight with temps expecting to drop to 15F with 10-15mph winds still.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  12. charlie

charlie

26 here, windy, 13 degree wind chill.. Going down to 9 tonight.. Burning standing dead elm from last year,, no bark... 15 lb brined turkey has been in the Esse wood cookstove since 12:30 pm... Cookstove is throwing out some nice heat on the same elm as well.. 76 in the PH room and 72 in the Esse cookstove kitchen area.. Some good wind gusts outside for sure.. They're talking 3 below zero wind chills tomorrow night.

Oldhippie likes this.
  13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

15.3 at the moment, burning down some pine, hemlock with a nice junk of cherry.

Loon likes this.
  14. KaptJaq

KaptJaq

Low in the teens last night and a peak of 27° today. As of 3PM it has started to drop again with a forecast in the teens again tonight. Wind has been a constant 20+ knots NW with some nasty gusts.

Both stoves going with slow burns, soft maple & ceder during the day, red oak at night.

KaptJaq

15. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Hi winds in Mass. This guy got a little firewood dropped off at his house.

Attached Files:

basod and Gasifier like this.
  16. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1

uh, that's a little close for my liking.....

17. Well Seasoned

Holy Chit!! Damm lucky there!

18. ailanthus

ailanthus

Down to 20 now. I've been at work all day, but brought in a box full of pine & a few small BL splits for my wife to load during the day. Tonight will be as much BL as I can fit in the Castine. I'm still supraised that this thing can heat the house. I'll probably set an alarm for a 2am reload if the wind doesn't die down.

19. Well Seasoned

I may well do the same thing with my castine. Although most of the time a "round" on the floor in the back, with the coals raked forward and then loaded is ideal for a good amount of hot coals for start up come morning time, with temps in the teens and wind chills in the single digits overnight, a continuous heat will be needed here as well to keep everything toasty. Keep Warm!!

20. chris

chris

Just got a call from son in Albany NY, boiler won't light, 18 degs high today, his house is down to 59. Best guess from way over in WI is spark unit went south. but I do not know if that boiler which is about 5 years old has a forced exhaust on it, which if that blower is out or sail switch or possible a vacuum sensor out would prevent sparking unit from activating and lighting pilot. Asked him about forced exhaust he said no, I know there is another reason the sparker will not function other than being bad I just can't think of it ( digital thermostat seems to be ok) anyone with an idea? I have seen this before just getting old and the hardheaded drive doesn't work as well as it used to. NG fired boiler, steam heat about a 2psi system