In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chimney and Stove selection, Englander Madison?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by CoreyB, Aug 25, 2017.

1. HDRock

HDRock

I can't even hear my blower on low

Kimberly and papadave like this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

The AAS just shuts the primary air down...no adjustment after that. What you are seeing is the fire being choked down suddenly, then eventually "catching up". (the air/fuel mixture goes "rich", then balances out)
    Your wood must be good and dry otherwise this wouldn't work well...it would just kill the fire when the AAS trips, the after a while it may rekindle and WOOF!...all that smoldering wood offgassing for the last several minutes relights...

Kimberly, CoreyB and HDRock like this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock

Speaking of blowers I need to clean mine, suck it off with the vacuum haven't done that yet

papadave likes this.
  4. CoreyB

CoreyB

I think it actually controls the air flow.
    "
    At England’s Stove Works, our engineers have developed a patent pending Automatic Air Setback (AAS) that nurtures your fire from the moment you light it. This innovative stove comes equipped with a rotating trigger incorporated into the primary air control.To use the stove, you simply set the trigger, which allows a temporary flow of air into the stove, build and light your fire, set the main air control to where you like it, and let your Smartstove™ do the rest.

How does the AAS work?
    - The AAS trigger clicks into place, much like cocking a gun
    - When the stove is hot enough, the trigger is automatically released to close the extra air vents
    - You choose whether the main stove control is set for high or low (low for a slow, overnight burn and high for a faster and hotter burn)

What are the benefits of using AAS technology?
    - Your fires light quicker and easier
    - Your stove burns more efficiently
    - Your stove emits fewer pollutants
    "

HDRock and Eric VW like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

It does control the air flow...it cuts the air back when it trips...then stays there unless you reset it...no "active" adjustment to it.
    I didn't realize that the primary air control was independent of this though...I thought once AAS tripped then it was automatically on low "cruise" (which gives the longest burn)

HDRock likes this.
  6. HDRock

HDRock

From what I read once the air is turned down with that it doesn't open the air back up after that

7. Kimberly

Kimberly

Was this from your manual? I cannot find this in my manual.

8. Kimberly

Kimberly

My manual for the 02 model says that it can be used on low or medium. You pull the air control out to set it, if you push in the control it will trip the AAS back to normal mode. I can test this now as my stove is cold.

9. Kimberly

Kimberly

Just goes to show that you need to read the manual even after you have read it a few times. I thought it only set on low but yes, it sets on medium as well, but does not set on high (or wide open damper)

HDRock likes this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

Easy enough to find out, just send ESW an email asking them. They are quick to answer.

CoreyB likes this.
  11. Kimberly

Kimberly

Of course being in the engineering field, I have wondered if one could not put some type of thermostatic damper control on the OAK to achieve some control coupled with a thermal probe on the stove to feed the current stove top temperature to the thermostatic damper control.

papadave and HDRock like this.
  12. CoreyB

CoreyB

I can watch it and hear something move. Once it gets down to 400 ish you can see it introduce more air and the flames kick up until it gets to that 550-600 range then it cuts back down the flames die down until it gets down to 400ish and then the flames come back.

papadave and HDRock like this.
  13. CoreyB

CoreyB

At the one min mark they talk briefly about the aas

HDRock likes this.
  14. HDRock

HDRock

I'm just going by what I read I think the manual should be a little more specific on that function

Kimberly likes this.
  15. Kimberly

Kimberly

As I said, an email to ESW will get a definitive answer. CoreyB does not have my stove model. For example, in the video, the hinges on my stove are not bolted on. My ash pan comes out through the front. I can only attest to my stove.

HDRock likes this.
  16. CoreyB

CoreyB

The book has basicly only one sentence and makes it sound like it only shuts the air down when it gets to temp.

"This unit also offers a new feature. When loading the stove for a long low burn, you can set the
    air control damper to allow the unit to heat up and get a good burn going before the air is closed off to the low position. Simply pull the rod out to low and turn it counter‐clockwise until you hear a slight “click” (about a quarter of a turn). When it is ready the damper will shut itself. This will work for low and medium low settings. "

HDRock likes this.
  17. CoreyB

CoreyB

Ok this is the email tech support response

"Good morning.

When you set the automatic damper control it is all the way open. When the mechanical spring thermostat gets to a certain temperature it automatically closes the damper down as far as it will go, which is about 3/4 of the way closed. However it does not reopen on its own if the stove cools off."
    So I was wrong lol.

brenndatomu and HDRock like this.
  18. HDRock

HDRock

The main thing is you know exactly how it works .
    When the fire starts getting bigger it mus just be catching up then .
    At any rate it's a cool feature to have , less babysitting

CoreyB and brenndatomu like this.
  19. CoreyB

CoreyB

Ya I think she is going to be a great choooocher.

HDRock and brenndatomu like this.
  20. Kimberly

Kimberly

CoreyB ; I have a question. Does your door hit or hang on the knob for the damper control? Mine does and has since I first got it. Tonight I got in a bit of a situation because I could not close the door; smoke alarm going off, etc. because the door was hitting the spring knob for the damper control.