In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

cant hook

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Dvscott, Oct 8, 2017.

1. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

VOLKEVIN, thanks for your order! We really look forward to putting it to work for you this fall and reading your review!

leoht, HDRock, VOLKEVIN and 1 other person like this.
  2. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Unfortunately we're only in the Montpellier and Rutland, VT Harvest Equipment Store locations at the moment.

leoht, HDRock and Canadian border VT like this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Montpelier it is... hate going that far south... I'm just old fashioned I like to see it before I order!

MikeInMa, leoht and HDRock like this.
  4. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I watched this video-

5. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

Christmas came early in the form of a big brown truck bringing a new tool! I'm excited to play with my new LogOx 3-in-1 firewood hauler, cant hook and timber jack.
    Of course, like any kid would do on Christmas or birthday morning, I tore into the box like a hobo into a bologna sandwich. I unwrapped the pieces and layed them out- the main piece, the extension lever bar, and the T-bar that becomes the jack stand (pic 1). My initial impression is that the tool is stout. It appears heavy duty and gives the impression that it can do what is asked of it. I like the bright orange, powder coated (or appears to be) finish. No losing this tool in the woods (although LodgedTree could still manage to misplace it and then run over it with a bulldozer :emb:).

Step 2 is assembly. I wanted to attach the extension bar and the T-bar so I could roll and jack up a couple logs. The assembly was easy and intuitive. To attach the extension bar, slide it through the hole in the handle, pull the interlocking pin and line up the two holes in the bar and the main body, and slide the interlocking pin back in (pics 2 and 3). 20171017_161244.jpg 20171017_161825.jpg 20171017_161844.jpg
    The next step was attaching the T-bar, which was done with a pair of 1/2" box wrenches. Loosen the nut, remove the screw and slide the T-bar in. Line up the holes and replace the screw and nut. Fully assembled, this is the LogOx. The longest part of assembly was taking pictures- it should take about 2 minutes to put it together fully, or if you are just going to use it as a round/brush carrier, it's ready straight out of the box. 20171017_162444.jpg
    Now, on to the fun part- using it! I had a couple of rounds that were about 16-18" and about 50 lbs each along with 2 logs that were both 8 feet long. One log was 8" and the other was 10" in diameter. First was using the tool as a cant hook. The LogOx drops down over the log and self-seats. I pulled backwards and the smaller log came right with it. I disengaged the tool and easily rolled the second, larger log. As a cant hook, the tool works great. Next, I tried out the functionality as a timber jack. I dropped the tool onto the log and pulled backwards, engaging the T-bar on the ground. I continued to pull on the bar and then pushed down, and the tool did it's job. The log was lifted off the ground, resting on the LogOx. I pushed on the log a little and it felt steady, so I would be confident in using a chainsaw to make cuts with the log resting on the tool. The one critique I have of this system is the bar length. When assembled, it is 38" long. As we all know, more length equals more leverage; and a fresh 8 foot, 10" diameter log that probably weighed about 300 lbs. took a little more effort to jack up than I think it should. A future design (or optional piece) I would suggest is a bar 18-24" longer. I think it would make a big difference on the bigger logs. That being said, as I moved and rolled logs, the LogOx was a solid tool, no rattles, and I had full confidence that it would hold up to whatever I needed it to do. 20171017_163104.jpg
    20171017_163242.jpg
    Next, I picked up and carried a couple of rounds. The handle drops right on to the log and engages, and I easily picked up and walked with the rounds. I set one back on the ground and disengaged the tool, and the second round was lifted to waist height and I disengaged the black hook by lifting it with my hand. I think as a carrier, this is the area where the LogOx really shines. It was truly easy to grab rounds and move them. It is definitely a back saving tool (yooperdave, Backwoods Savage) and I feel that this tool is worth it's price just for this function alone. Last but not least, I tried the grab and drag on the two logs. I grabbed the first, smaller log and drug it about 15 feet to its new spot with minimal effort. The second log was too wet and heavy to drag, but just to test the tool out I lifted it off the ground about 12 inches it held firmly.
    In closing, I feel that the LogOx is a solid, dependable tool that I am happy to have around; and with the lifetime guarantee and build quality I am confident in many years of trouble free use. Nice job, Austin & LogOx team. I think you have yourselves a relevant, dependable tool here; and wish you success in the marketplace.

6. HDRock

HDRock

Good review .
    So , once the log jack is bolted on, you pop 2 pins out to take it off ?

BigBlueLogOX likes this.
  7. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

No, it's just the one screw and nut to remove the log jack.

I'll take an up close pic when I get back to the house.

8. HDRock

HDRock

It looks to me like the red part that the black log jack is bolted to is held on with 2 pins , pop them out the whole jack deal comes off

BigBlueLogOX likes this.
  9. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

It could definitely be that way, I used the screw and nut for assembly. Im embarrassed to say I didn't look at the other side. The remove-2-pins method would be preferable to screw and nut...

BigBlueLogOX and HDRock like this.
  10. HDRock

HDRock

No biggie :), sounds like you set it up and put it to work :yes:

BigBlueLogOX likes this.
  11. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I'm happy to say HDRock is right- all you do to remove the log jack is pull the two pins....on the opposite side...and be smart enough to actually look at that other side...which I didn't do the first time :whistle:
    20171017_204238.jpg 20171017_204259.jpg

BigBlueLogOX and HDRock like this.
  12. HDRock

HDRock

Hay I was studying the pictures thoroughly man :D

13. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Whoa there fella...you are being quite biased about my equipment of mass destruction. I have ruined chainsaws with excavators, bulldozers and skidders...not just bulldozers! :)

BigBlueLogOX, HDRock and VOLKEVIN like this.
  14. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Kevin,
    Thanks so much for giving such a candid and thorough pictorial review of the LogOX! Creating a "relevant and dependable tool," as you put it, is our company's goal for the LogOX, and I'm glad that you found it to be both. I'm also glad to see that you're putting it through its paces and are getting the full use out of its features. The Hauler also works well for interlocking pieces of brush together and dragging them off to a central location btw. We're currently working on an prototypes for several new attachments to introduce next year, which like our "PickOX" pickaroon attachment, will make the most out of the cant handle extension's modularity. In effect, creating new tools to supplement the LogOX's capabilities, by using the cant handle extension as a base platform. One of the issues we plan to address is providing more leverage with the handle extension, so stay tuned.
    I'm also glad to hear you mention what a back saver the Hauler was right off the bat. This was the primary initial intent behind creating the LogOX, and we've been getting tremendously positive feedback from other folks saying the same thing.

Thanks again for sharing your LogOX story!
    -Austin :axe:

HDRock and VOLKEVIN like this.
  15. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

That does look like a very handy tool to have around.

HDRock and BigBlueLogOX like this.