In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

cant hook

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Dvscott, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Dvscott

Dvscott

looking into getting a cant hook....anyone use them? what ones would you recomend?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

leoht and BigBlueLogOX like this.
  2. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

I'm admittedly a bit biased on this subject, but if you're like most other folks here splitting up a bunch of firewood and using a cant hook/timberjack to roll logs and keep your chain out of the dirt, I'd recommend taking a look at our LogOX 3-in-1 Forestry MultiTool. It combines a hollow frame American steel 38" cant hook, timberjack, and a log round hauler (also a 21" cant hook) which prevents you from having to bend over when yarding out firewood or loading a splitter. It's also the only one on the market that disassembles into 3 pieces and fits in a 28" bag, for easy transport. If you're interested, I've set up a discount code for fellow Firewood Hoarders Club members, if you use "FHC" at www.thelogox.com for $15 off both the MultiTool and the Forester Package. I'd be happy to answer any questions!

VOLKEVIN and HDRock like this.
  3. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

I have a Stihl, made by logrite. I'm happy with it. I've moved some big stuff with it, and use it all the time for my sawmill.

The biggest reason I like it is it's quality. The welds and construction show quality.(unlike alot of American made stuff) It's American made, not some overpriced overpaid overated goober slapping crap together American made.
    They should and am sure they are proud of their product.

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

This is confusing!!

MikeInMa and HDRock like this.
  5. leoht

leoht

I use a wood chuck dual, I really like it and wish I had one years ago.

[​IMG]

I do like the idea of the LogOX just never seen one down under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VOLKEVIN, BigBlueLogOX and HDRock like this.
  6. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

LogOX 3 Tool Composite 2.png View attachment 139532 View attachment 139532 View attachment 139516 View attachment 139516 View attachment 139516
    Leoht, thanks. We're still in our first year as a company, but we continue to get a lot of inquiries from Australia. We're definitely working hard on expanding our capacity to bring the LogOX to you guys down under!

By the way, your countrymen Ian and Warren Lucas utterly scorched the competition with their Lucas Mill in "The Great Portable Sawmill Shootout" at the Paul Bunyan Show this weekend. It was really impressive to watch!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    94BULLITT, leoht and HDRock like this.
  7. HDRock

HDRock

I bought mine used and it works great is all I can tell ya :)

IMG_20121205_155736.jpg

8. Boomstick

Boomstick Banned

It's probably the first us made item in about 5-6 years that I've bought that hasn't been a POS.
    The Stupidity of "Buy American"

9. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Peavey makes fine classic tools. Cant go wrong with one of them.

A longer handle gets you more leverage but becomes more cumbersome to transport so there is a bit of a trade off there. I have found timberjack style log stands to be rather useless.

HDRock and 94BULLITT like this.
  10. Armbru84

Armbru84

I have a logrite 48”. It’s made very well from what I can see. Have rolled some large logs with it.

HDRock, eatonpcat and 94BULLITT like this.
  11. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I have a Stihl (logrite) cant hook and a roughneck log lifter. The Roughneck is from northern tool. It is fiberglass with a steel core. It is very heavy in comparison to the Stihl. I really like the Stihl/ log rite. I feel like a steel or aluminum handle is more durable than wood. I thought I had a video on my youtube channel comparing the two cant hooks but I can't find it if I do.

HDRock and eatonpcat like this.
  12. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I looked at the Log Ox, and think it looks like a great tool. I'm close to pulling the trigger and buying it, but have 2 questions. One, does it come with the bag for when we break it down? And two (be honest), we all know that more length on a bar means more leverage. That being said, how is the length of the Log Ox at 38"- what size log can we realistically expect to roll and jack up off of the ground?
    Thanks for your input.

HDRock, BigBlueLogOX and CoreyB like this.
  13. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

VOLKEVIN, thanks for your questions. To answer the first one, we sell the 3-in-1 Forestry MultiTool and the CarryOX bag separately on our website www.thelogox.com. We also sell something called a "Forester Package," which includes the LogOX MultiTool, CarryOX bag, Hauler Holster, and PickOX pickaroon attachment. This package already saves you $10 off buying each item separately, and is our most popular product. However, I set up the "FHC" discount code to work for the MultiTool as well.

To answer you second question as accurately as possible, the size of a log one can roll with our 38" cant hook depends on its overall length, density (think weight of 12ft of balsa wood vs. 12ft of black walnut), the type of terrain it's resting on, and the user's physical strength. In general, 8-10ft logs with a diameter of 12-32" are within the operational range of our cant hook. But again, the four variables I listed will play a significant role in this process. This is the diameter range for the majority of the firewood that we buck and process ourselves, which is why we designed it that way. For rolling anything much larger than 32" I'd recommend using at least one, or preferably two, larger cant hooks stationed on both ends of the log.

I've attached a couple of Instagram screenshots from guys using the LogOX with their portable chainsaw mills to provide some further context. The Hauler itself also serves as a 21" cant hook. For logs with a diameter smaller than 12", I'd recommend just using it as a timberjack, which I've also attached a picture of.

I hope this answers your questions, I'd be happy to answer anything else as well. Thanks again for checking us our and remember to use "FHC" at checkout.

Attached Files:

VOLKEVIN and HDRock like this.
  14. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

When the logs get big, how straight, round and the lack of protruding nubs also figures in a great deal with what you can roll. Bends or oblong shapes start to drastically reduce what you can do.

Additionally your weight figures into it. A 250 pound person will be able to put a lot more force into rolling a log before they are doing chin ups off the cant hook than a 100 pound person can.

leoht, HDRock, VOLKEVIN and 1 other person like this.
  15. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I'm going to give it a try. Looking forward to using it!

MikeyB, HDRock and BigBlueLogOX like this.
  16. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

Thanks, I look forward to hearing how it works for you!

HDRock and Canadian border VT like this.
  17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Mr Roberts where is your store located? could a member say go look at them buy one and write a revie. easier for me than Ohio or Virginia

leoht, HDRock and BigBlueLogOX like this.
  18. BigBlueLogOX

BigBlueLogOX

We're primarily an online store, but LogOX's are being sold at a number of brick and mortar stores in VT, where you could go check it out. Harvest Equipment in Montpellier and Mountain View Equipment in Middlebury and Rutland are probably the closest to you up north, judging by your screen name lol.

HDRock and Canadian border VT like this.
  19. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

I just ordered one, so I'll be the guinea pig for putting it through its' paces and I will write a review. Maybe I'll include a picture or two also, since they're worth a thousand words!

MikeyB, leoht, HDRock and 2 others like this.
  20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I'll check out harvest equipment Swanton tomorrow won't be in montpellier til weekend.. :handshake:

HDRock and BigBlueLogOX like this.