In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Burger time.

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Trundle, Jul 8, 2014.

1. papadave

papadave

Like moths to a flame.......that's all we are.
    I'm dyin' here.:drool:

2. Trundle

Trundle

:handshake: Ain't that the truth papadave, ain't that the truth. I'll have to do a little better on my next cheeseburger as far as pics are concerned. Doh. Taking a pic after I'd already mangled the poor thing was almost a disservice to the burger :picard: Oh well. It tasted awesome and the batter dipped fries are so good. I'll have a couple more chances over the next few days since I still have about 2 lbs of burger in the fridge and plenty of bacon and gorgonzola. :grizz:

Woodwidow, mattjm1017 and papadave like this.
  3. Daryl

Daryl

Blackened Burgers are my alternate go to.

I made Italian Turkey Burgers recently.

Trundle and papadave like this.
  4. grassguerilla

grassguerilla

I'm a basic burger guy. Simple ingredients. Good ground round (local grocery store has me spoiled. Nowhere else around has beef this good even at twice the price, thanks Raedakers!) some red onion, fresh crisp lettuce, a couple thick sliced tomatoes from the garden, on a fresly toasted bakery bun. I like a little miracle whip and some ketchup. But I don't discriminate against you pickle and mustard eaters (even if you have no taste;-).

The key is HOT. I'm the type that cooks on my Weber 12 months a year. But wether your doin it indoors or out, beef loves heat. Indoors I like to heat the cast iron on medium high to highish heat, just till it smokes, then drop the beef. Sorry, but ain't no machine used here to pound out patties. I like em as near to untouched as possible. Kinda break a hunk off without smashing it all out of kilter. With any luck, some of the little "rounds" from the grinder will hang off around the edges. Those are the best part when they crust up.

On the Weber I use enough lump charcoal piled up on one side (about 1/3 of the grill) to within an inch or less of the top grate. I want it screaming hot when the beef hits.

The heat I'm talking it only takes 2-3 minutes a side for 1/3+ lb burgers to be near done through, and still full of juice (a little pinks cool with me still, I trust my source).

Sorry for such a long winded post. But the details are important eh?

gbreda, mattjm1017 and Trundle like this.
  5. Trundle

Trundle

Blackened Burgers? How do you do it? Without even knowing how to do it I already like the idea of a Black and Bleu Burger!

mattjm1017 likes this.
  6. Trundle

Trundle

When you're right, you're right. That's a kick azz post gg. That's all I gotta say about that. :handshake:

grassguerilla and mattjm1017 like this.
  7. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Im trying to find a local source for meat especially beef that I can trust to still be a little pink. I love a little pink in my hamburger.

grassguerilla likes this.
  8. Daryl

Daryl

Add blackened seasoning. Nothing fancy. In most cases, cooking is done at high heat in a cast iron pan to get the blackening effect.

Trundle likes this.
  9. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

10. Trundle

Trundle

11. Trundle

Trundle

I've decided to make a meatloaf with the remaining burger I have. I'm gonna make a standard meatloaf and mix the gorgonzola cheese in then throw it on the smoker this afternoon. Should be pretty damm good and meatloaf sammies are a pretty great thing.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  12. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

I hope you dont use a lot of ketchup on your meatloaf. I like a good meatloaf so long as its not saturated in ketchup. The gorgonzola sounds good I might have to look into trying that out one day sounds like it will be a nice touch to the loaf:drool:

savemoney and Trundle like this.
  13. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    campinspecter, mattjm1017 and Trundle like this.
  14. Trundle

Trundle

Hi Matt. Yeah, I go pretty light on the ketchup. My standard meatloaf recipe is just a couple lbs of burger, an egg, some sauteed onion and garlic, bread crumbs and salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, I mix brown sugar, yellow mustard, ketcup, worchestshire sause and hot sauce and use that to baste throughout the cooking process.

I'm just waiting for my neighbor to get back from town to borrow some milk from him since I'm out. I've never smoked a meatloaf before but there's plenty of youtube vids on the process and along with the mixed in cheese, should make a damm good sammy. I'll through some pics up when I get rolling.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  15. Trundle

Trundle

Ok, finally getting up and running. I'm going back and forth between whether I should do a meatloaf or make up a bunch of meatballs. Leaning towards the meatballs. When I went down to the neighbors place to borrow some milk they also gave me some roasted red peppers to throw into the mix. I sauteed that up with the onions and garlic and the whole mess is chilling in the fridge while the smoker gets up to temp.

Woodwidow and mattjm1017 like this.
  16. grassguerilla

grassguerilla

image.jpg If your tired of the old "how long can you hold your hand over the fire" to judge how hot it is (or how high your tolerance for pain) try one of these. I like to mount them on the curved part. That way I can tell how hot my fire is directly beneath, or turn it to the indirect side. Now I can bake in it like a wood fired oven. Makes meat loaf as easy as in the oven (ok, almost). Also great for pizzas. No joke.

No more guessing... I like numbers.

Attached Files:

campinspecter, Trundle and mattjm1017 like this.
  17. Trundle

Trundle

That's a nice Weber mod gg and I'm like you with temp...numbers never lie (well, at least not usually).

Just threw my meatballs on the smoker at 225. I'm using the maverick for grill temp but I'll just stick a thermometer in 'em to check for doneness when the time comes. Figure I'll pull them when the insides are around 160.
    001.JPG

18. Trundle

Trundle

Well, looking good. Temp in the smoker is at 235 right now after roughly an hour and a half. Probably go another hour or so then stick the thermo in and see where we are.
    002.JPG

19. savemoney

savemoney

Gave up on ketchup a long time ago. Now use salsa in place of it for most things. Better for you and taste really good.

mattjm1017 and Trundle like this.
  20. Trundle

Trundle

whipping up a batch of bbq sauce right now. That'll be done in 20 minutes or so then I'll start mopping the meatballs with that until they're done. This is gonna be good.