In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Building an owb

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Dmorris, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Dmorris

Dmorris

I am not going to starting out, I want to use all of the space I can for firebox, depending on how efficient and good it works I may in the future

Horkn and blacksmith like this.
  2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

ok.. just remember steel bends at 900 degrees my Woodstock gets hotter than that inside..

Horkn and milleo like this.
  3. blacksmith

blacksmith

I'll have my cousin over ay "Footlong Milling" snap a couple pictures of his, it's impressive. His is inside but it's kind of along the line of what you want to build. Only he doesn't use water.

4. Dmorris

Dmorris

Firebox is 1/2" thick pipeline pipe, everyone I talk to say amount of water around box keep firebox temps low. I know some of the manufactured boilers are made all of 1/4" mild steel and do not have firebrick in the box.

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

OK I did not know that... makes sense though.. see above where I referred to my intelligence :eek:

6. Dmorris

Dmorris

That is what I have researched and been told by people who have built them, this is just kind of shooting from the hip without spending a ton of money, I sure hope it works

Horkn, Thor, blacksmith and 2 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I'm pulling for you!

Horkn, Thor, Dmorris and 2 others like this.
  8. Felter

Felter Banned

I think it might be a little on the small side. you might have to fill it 3 times a day when its really cold. all depends on the house though. I built my latest owb out of a 6ft 42inch diameter pipe. inside a 52"diameter pipe. I can fill it once a day heating about the same sq ft. I would also scrape off that green coating. you dont want it warming up and flaking off and getting stuck in your pump. I use a weed burner and usually a helper. I made a scraper out of a piece of 3"x18" piece of 1/4" steel. I sharpened one end and got the coating nice and hot with the weed burner then that coating peeled right off.

another thing to think about is the tanks desire to float inside the tank of water. I welded in some "fingers" (for lack of a better term) that hold the burn chamber down. but I only welded them solid to the water jacket that way the burn chamber can slide back and forth if it gets hot. idk if it would need to move or not. but I wanted to minimize the stress on the door and chimney welds... there is a chance thats overkill though, I've been known to overkill a thing or 2. :whistle:

looking good so far. please keep the pictures coming. :)

Horkn, milleo and blacksmith like this.
  9. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

My central 6048 boiler is the second largest they make I believe. It's the one just below the pallet burner and I don't remember the specs but I know they are rated at some pretty decent square footage. The firebox is 60x48x48. One thing I wanted to note for when you are up and running was flow rate. I have 2 steibel eltrons rated at 40gpm when on high. One supply and one on return. To my novice brain at the time I just thought the higher the flow rate the better. Well it wasn't. The water didn't sit in the stove long enough and it was simply killing the boiler temp. I slowed them down making sure I was still getting some heat but my boiler now cycles off and on no problems and it save me a ton of wood. I am using it to soley heat a 4300 sq ft greenhouse in MN and in 25 below temps I am loading it full 3 to 4 times per 24 hrs. That's with a good oak / ash mix. But if you can get a hot water storage tank and add another 300 to 500 gallons and insulate the heck out of it that would never hurt lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

10. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

Oh and I forgot to mention I think my 6048 is like 430 gallons.

Save your children, get a prenaup

Horkn likes this.
  11. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

Maybe only 400... In that neighborhood

Save your children, get a prenaup

Horkn likes this.
  12. Dmorris

Dmorris

Thanks for the great input, cannot see in the pictures but the firebox is welded in front of water jacket and have 2 pieces of angle iron welded on the back side, that way I can lift the whole thing in one pick. As for the green coating, it is underground pipeline coating, I have tried heating it up, and scraping it, the only way I can get it off is with a grinder and a lot of time! it is more like an epoxy paint than the glue coating stuff so I am going to take my chances. Hopefully I can get door and door frame built this week and get legs put on it, then I will just be down to bolting top on and insulating, then hookup which will probably be later this spring or summer, won't know how it works until next season

13. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

So I'm not the only one who's pictures don't load on Tapatalk? I can see my uploads but not anyone elses.

30 Clip Magazine On My Ghost Gun

blacksmith likes this.
  14. blacksmith

blacksmith

:)
    I finally got the pictures of my cousins wood burner. It's an indoor but could probably be modified to be an outdoor burner and use water.

I believe the pipe that he got is 4 ft in diameter and 3/4" thick.

20141121_163721.jpg

20141121_163742.jpg

20141124_165705.jpg

20141124_165756.jpg

20141128_203445.jpg

20141127_080035.jpg

20141127_080045.jpg
    This is the blower motor that he put on the back to blow the air from the chamber on the back of the stove to come out of the 6" pipes on the front.
    20141202_100200.jpg

J. Dirt, Horkn, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  15. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

This sucks. My Tapatalk won't load any forum images. I'd love to contribute more but can't see squat. Anyone realty with this before? Android note 4 stock.

16. blacksmith

blacksmith

And the rest of the pictures.

20141202_100240.jpg

20141202_154019.jpg

20160114_091615.jpg
    With a fire burning hot in the belly of the beast.
    20160203_200223.jpg

I hope that this gives people ideas of building a monster indoor wood burner!

All photos are courtesy of "Foot Long Milling Services".:thumbs:

J. Dirt, fuelrod, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  17. Dmorris

Dmorris

Wow, that is a really neat idea! And great craftmanship! How big of an area does he heat with that thing?

Horkn, Hydro Farmer and blacksmith like this.
  18. blacksmith

blacksmith

He has it in his pole barn that is not insulated. I think his barn is 30ft x 60ft with a 2nd floor. He loads it up turns on the fan it gets up to 80 degrees no problem and that's when it was about 15 degrees out that day! It makes it very comfortable to work in on cold days.:campfire:

J. Dirt, Horkn, Thor and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

Wish I could see pictures! Any of you guys have problems with the pictures in here not working???

blacksmith likes this.
  20. Felter

Felter Banned

I don't have a problem but I'm on a laptop.

blacksmith likes this.