In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Building an owb

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Dmorris, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Dmorris

Dmorris

Have collected some materials and am getting ready to start building an owb. The water jacket is going to be a 300 gallon tank, 38"x60", the firebox is a 4' piece of 26" pipe 3/8" thick. I am going to run a 8" flue pipe out the back and put four 3"schedule 40 pipes through the top of the firebox for heat transfer. I plan on heating my 2200 square foot house and also a 20'x35' garage. Any suggestions or advise I may need to know?

blacksmith likes this.
  2. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

In would be hesitant on PVC..... Copper or at the least cast iron

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. Dmorris

Dmorris

Not planning on using any pvc, all pipe is steel

4. Hydro Farmer

Hydro Farmer

Ok o saw schedule 40 and my brain went to PVC lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. Dmorris

Dmorris

Don't think that would last very long! lol I may actually use square tubing for this, depends on what I have laying around.

6. DonE

DonE

I'd sure like to see a build series when you get started on it. I already have a small OWB at my home, but I scored a 250 gal lp tank ( out of service ) for free that I have been thinking about building a OWB for an off grid cabin.....

fuelrod, Horkn and Canadian border VT like this.
  7. Dmorris

Dmorris

I plan on posting a build, all I have done so far is the firebox, I found several pinholes in the 300 gallon fuel tank so I have to spend some money now. Am going to have a sheet of 3/16 steel bent in a box shape, 30" on top and bottom and 41" sides. This should give me around 220gallons of water( if I fill it to top) and can still have everything put together for around 800$. Sounds like a good score on propane tank!

blacksmith and Horkn like this.
  8. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I'm planning on building an OWB pool heater later this winter for my parents swimming pool. Already,got the materials gathered up, just have to commit the time. It'll have stainless pipes, stainless intake and outlet boxes, and a brick lined firebox.

9. Dmorris

Dmorris

That would work out good, I am debating on lining firebox with brick to try to keep a hotter more efficient fire, not sure if I will or not yet

blacksmith likes this.
  10. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Do you plan on using a plate exchanger or running domestic water thru the jacket?
    Also, I'm not in agreement with running tubes thru the firebox- placing any "heat sink" within the combustion area will rob the fire in that box by sucking the heat you know will be part of an efficient burn.... post combustion, or at least "behind" the main fire box would be better, I think. Just my opinion tho, as I have zero experience with an OWB.
    :)
    Either way, I can't wait to see the build thread:thumbs:
    Merry Christmas Dmorris :handshake:

11. Dmorris

Dmorris

Merry Christmas! I changed my mind about tubes in too of firebox, think it would take up too much space. Plan on using a plate type or side arm exchanger for hot water, got a new welder for Christmas so after I get the metal bent I will really get started.

12. Dmorris

Dmorris

These are some rough plans I have come up with for my boiler. With the materials I will have around $800 in getting the boiler put together. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

blacksmith and Horkn like this.
  13. Dmorris

Dmorris

Finally got my metal bent and picked up, welded supports across bottom of water jacket to hold firebox pipe, water jacket is 3/16" steel, hopefully I can make some progress on this thing in the next couple of weeks. IMG_0623.JPG

brenndatomu, Thor, blacksmith and 4 others like this.
  14. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Looking forward to seeing this! What are you planning to use for electronic controls?

blacksmith likes this.
  15. Dmorris

Dmorris

IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0626.JPG Here is some more pics, got supports under fire box, and cut front plate for water jacket and fit in place IMG_0627.JPG hopefully tomorrow I can get front plate welded, and rear plate so water jacket will be done, changed my mind, not going to buy a manufactured door yet, gonna try to build one with a natural draft ran from an aqua stat,if that does not work I am making door frame size so I can buy a door if I am not happy with the one I build, any suggestions on how deep I should put my stack in firebox? I am coming in centered from top with 8" pipe, thought about putting it fairly deep in firebox to make somewhat of a baffle, any ideas???

MikeyB, brenndatomu, Thor and 3 others like this.
  16. Joe Seaton

Joe Seaton

17. Dmorris

Dmorris

IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0646.JPG Been too busy to do much lately, finally got a 8" stainless flue pipe welded in and put a baffle in top of firebox to hopefully slow down some of the heat from going out the stack, hopefully tomorrow can make front weld to firebox and fill with water to leak check, while that is sitting with water I plan on starting door and frame, changed IMG_0649.JPG my mind and plan on building a door with a natural air intake, but still leaving the option for a forced air blower if I am not happy with performance.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  18. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Thor, blacksmith, Dmorris and 2 others like this.
  19. Dmorris

Dmorris

IMG_0662.JPG Filled with water today to check for leaks, just a few small leaks on bottom of water jacket, firebox is still dry so I am happy! IMG_0663.JPG

Horkn, brenndatomu, Thor and 4 others like this.
  20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

really interesting and informative Dmorris ... I wish I were smart enough to offer hints and advice.. sadly that is not the case... are you planing on lining firebox with fire brick?

Horkn, Thor and blacksmith like this.