In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

brand new pellet stove won't work

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Cricket, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Cricket

Cricket

I just bought a summers heat 25-PAH3 at Lowes. It is all hooked up and we tried to do the "dry run" which was fine until the auger wouldn't turn. The manual is no help. Anyone have any ideas? It is going to be in the low teens tonight and single digits tomorrow and this is my only source of heat. Help!!

2. will711

will711

eatonpcat likes this.
  3. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

Well....easy things first:

1 - did you see or did the auger turn at all during the dry run?
    2 - Was the hopper lid closed when you did the dry run? There should be a hopper switch in there and the lid needs to be closed when it's running for the auger to turn.

4. krooser

krooser

You may need to empty the hopper then turn on the stove to see if the upper auger will turn. It may have a pellet jam or it may be jammed by an excess amount of fines.

The pellets I've been using this year have jammed my 25-pdvc twice due to a larger than normal amount of fines… if that's the case with your stove try to vacuum out the auger and see if that allows the auger to turn. If not you'll have to remove the back cover and remove the auger to clear the jam… it's a pretty simple job although it may be a bit daunting until you do it.

5. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Good advise above.

What code does it through? E2?

6. imacman

imacman

Did you have the front door closed for the dry run? Leaving it open won't allow the vacuum sensor contacts to close, and that means the auger won't turn.

7. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

lol....that was going to be my #3.....

8. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Door closed, hopper lid shut, and pellets in the hopper.

Did you prime the auger? Your auger may be turning, but the auger has not filled up to the drop chute? So you see no pellets

9. imacman

imacman

Not for the dry run...it's supposed to run about 20 minutes before getting an E-2.

10. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Check 2 wires going to auger and to the board? These stoves get rattled like crazy when shipping.

11. subsailor

subsailor

I guess Cricket isn't too concerned, he hasn't been back since he posted the question.

12. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

If his email notification is turned off? He won't get an email alert. Only an alert above in his profile.

Wonder if he fixed it? Hate for someone to be cold. In his profile, he was last seen viewing this thread (4 min ago).

Hey Cricket, you get her fixed?

13. Cricket

Cricket

Thanks for all the ideas. The door was shut, no pellets in stove yet , error code E2, going too check the wires now. On top of the problems with the stove the drivers window in th van broke ! What else will happen? Lol . Fingers crossed for the wires ...... Hope this works. Will let you know.

14. imacman

imacman

If you try everything, and the auger still doesn't move, try unplugging and re-plugging it in....then try the dry run again. If that doesn't do it, and everything else seems OK, try sending a private message (a "conversation" ) to forum member "mike holton". He is the Senior Tech at Englander and a member here. Otherwise, call the Tech help line at Englander tomorrow....they should be able to figure it out for you.

15. don2222

don2222

All the brand new Englanders that I install will time out and show E2 the first time. That is because the auger chute has no pellets. Pressing On again will reset the timer and it should fire up. :-0)

16. imacman

imacman

His problem (in his first post) was that the auger wouldn't turn, not the E-2 error code.

17. Cricket

Cricket

I have tried every thing that had been suggested. Emailed and called tech support and got no response out call back. I give up. Pulling the stove and putting old one back in. I can't go without heat another night. I will put up with the old Harman that has issues. Thanks for the help everyone!

18. slvrblkk

slvrblkk

I guess we aren't going to get to #4......

19. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

What kind of Harman? What are the issues? Englander makes a nice stove, but Harmans are more efficient.

To each there own, but I would choose the Harman (some models are not auto ignite /P38, PP II, P-61/ but are still very solid units.

20. Cricket

Cricket

Its p61a that has been around a long time. The auto ignite doesn't work and the feed had stopped but we got that going again