In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Brand new ms 660

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Jnb, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Oldman47

Oldman47

Oh, I have rebuilt a 2 stroke engine before. Ever hear of a Kawasaki H1? Yes it was a 3 cylinder with a poorly cooled center cylinder. I did one of those twice in the early 1970s. What I have not done, and don't know, is chainsaws. The H1 relied on a poorly documented mix controller to add 2 stroke oil on demand as needed from a separate tank, but that aspect never really worked right and often my oil consumption looked more like 100:1 than the 40:1 that was commonly prescribed at that time. That is why I got to redo a build after only about 1000 miles of use.

Horkn, clemsonfor, Mag Craft and 3 others like this.
  2. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

So far building the saw has not been that bad. All of the fasteners are labeled. I'm doing a step by step build of my saw so anyone can follow along. If I was not making a video of mine, I bet I could have knocked it out in 2 hours.

3. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yep. Former bike mechanic here. My buddy had an H2 powered drag bike...lay down type bike, 9" car slick on the back...it was fast!
    A lot of people got rid of those autolube pumps and just went with pre-mix gas...much more reliable.

5. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Get a kit, read some threads while it's en route, build it up and then mill some wood. Report back here after some run time.
    I've put together many saws with little more than a heat gun, socket set, and a t-handle t27 driver. It'll be fun for ya.

Horkn, clemsonfor, blacksmith and 2 others like this.
  6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

thinking about it.. but I never even opened a saw.. yup clean air filters but that's it.. but I might go for it if 94BULLITT give me a false sense of confidence :faint: so you order from hl supply... get cross kit upgrade...about 3 bills

Horkn, clemsonfor, 94BULLITT and 2 others like this.
  7. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

$300 plus some of your time and tinkering, yep. Milling will really test these saws, that's for sure.

Horkn, clemsonfor, 94BULLITT and 2 others like this.
  8. blacksmith

blacksmith

94BULLITT I thought that the videos that you posted make it look so easy and even break it down for dummies like me:rofl: :lol::wacky::hair::yes:. I can't wait to watch the last of the build videos! But the one that I really want to see is you putting that saw to the test with a big bar on it!:sherlock::dex::saw::saw::stacke: Even though it's a Chinese saw it does have my intrest peaked for a fun little build project and to have a backup saw.:rootintootin::dancer:

Horkn, clemsonfor, 94BULLITT and 3 others like this.
  9. Oldman47

Oldman47

blacksmith I sort of felt like you do until I started to explore the available on-line information. It seems that folks who have been using the kit have extremely variable results and, so it seems to me, the results are largely dependent on prior saw shop experience of the person putting the kit together.

10. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Thanks! I'm trying to a step by step build so anyone can follow along. I was hoping to have the saw running by now but I have not got a chance to work on it since the last video. In the last video I hoping to get the brake parts on but I had a couple of customers stop in late and ran out of time. I have plenty of ash logs to break it in on. The longest bar I have is 28" but I don't think there is anything that big in the pile. I'm also working on a square filed chain for it but I only have 2 cutters done:rofl: :lol: Who knows how the chain will turn out since I'm am a beginner. I'm also going to run it against a nice OEM 660 to see how it stacks up. It certainly has been a fun project so far. It probably won't be my lasto_O

11. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

With your technical mind it would be a great hobby.

I am in the process of putting a Stihl MS660 piston into a Poulan 505 right now. The old original piston was pretty worn and are no longer available. Others have done this so it is not new.

12. moresnow

moresnow

Brenndatomu said

"Yep. Former bike mechanic here. My buddy had an H2 powered drag bike...lay down type bike, 9" car slick on the back...it was fast!
    A lot of people got rid of those autolube pumps and just went with pre-mix gas...much more reliable."

Any remote chance that drag bike came from Iowa? Not to get off topic. But.....

Horkn, clemsonfor and blacksmith like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I'm not sure. He owned it before I met him...I assumed he built it himself...he lived in Medina Ohio if that means anything to you

Horkn, clemsonfor and blacksmith like this.
  14. moresnow

moresnow

Brenndatomu

Buddy of mine rebuilt that same bike in the early 90's. Ran it successfully for a few years before selling it (seems like it went your direction) and moving on to newer and faster equipment. This bike came from Sport Wheels in Minn. as a basket case project. Seeing peoples startled looks when the throttle cracked was priceless!

Ok. Back to reality! Sorry for the sidetrack.

15. DNH

DNH

94BULLITT keep up the videos I'm going to need them. Brown Santa :ups::ups:just dropped of my new toys. Unfortunately the build date is way down the list of things that have to get completed first.

94BULLITT, Horkn, clemsonfor and 4 others like this.
  16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Horkn likes this.
  17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yep I have one! This picture you can't see it but its a 650. There 84cc. Only difference is P and C. Screenshot_2017-06-28-21-46-09.png

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Made at the same time.

blacksmith, Horkn and XXL like this.
  19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Dang I see I am late to the party!! Been busy I guess??

20. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have ordered a bunch straight from china. Sometimes they don't write what it is on the box and a cheap price so it's not opened but I think there is a limit before tarrifs? I looked one time seems like I remember 400 or 500? I have ordered several hundred dollars at once of parts from china and paid not tarrifs on it.

blacksmith and Horkn like this.