In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Blackberry "wood"

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by FatBoy85, Jul 28, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I've never cut any blackberry vine and put it in a smoker but can someone elaborate what the actual blackberry wood that you'd put in a smoker?

savemoney and BHags like this.
  2. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I would use the thicker woody stalks of 2+ year growth. After a few years the original stalks becomr too old, stop bearing and eventually die. Those are what I would use.

savemoney and FatBoy85 like this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

These would be the ones youd probably find on the highway with thorns on them??

savemoney likes this.
  4. lukem

lukem

Never heard of this but it sounds interesting.

I have some domesticated blackberries. The growth that pushes off this year will bear fruit next year (green and relatively soft). The stuff that had fruit this year will turn woody and brown over the winter.

BHags and FatBoy85 like this.
  5. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I find them in the woods around here but they are fairly rare in the wild as the deer and rabbits enjoy them. You get the same type of thing with blackberries, raspberries, currants and gooseberries with the dead "wood" after a few years.

If you are asking what exactly blackberries are, they are a cousin of raspberries with smaller, tarter berries and yes they grow on thorny bushes. If it help, think of raspberries as being like the English walnut-- milder, sweeter, bigger. The blackberry is like a black walnut-- tarter, smaller, more "wild" tasting.

brenndatomu, savemoney and FatBoy85 like this.
  6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Well here blackberries grow with a vine not wood, very thorny. In fact im gonna go take a picture to show you. The reason why I ask is because this stuff doesn't look anywhere near friendly as wood does. If your blackberries grow on a bush then you have something completely different.

IMG_2558.JPG IMG_2560.JPG IMG_2563.JPG IMG_2566.JPG
    I have to say I have found at the bottom of a retention pond, remnants of a blackberry bush the vine was wider than my wrist. it was completely dry but its pithy, so I can't say its good for smoking..its a noxious weed so the smoke isn't pleasant from these plants. It tends to hollow out and burns so rapidly as a trash fire Im in doubts of this being feasible. Most people spray these bushes down just to keep them under control here.

However if its more of a woody bush that it comes from, that would change my mind completely. Might need to do a bit more research but this is the kinda blackberry I know well

savemoney likes this.
  7. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    There are many species of blackberry out there. The big sprawling one we get here is usually Himalaya blackberry which is considered an invasive species.

[​IMG]

Himalayan Blackberry

campinspecter and FatBoy85 like this.
  8. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    yum! I miss picking blackberries. Growing up in the lower mainland they are everywhere as you guys know. I often visit the coast at the wrong time to enjoy a little picking.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  9. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Ours are just now forming berries and should start ripening in a week or two. In Victoria, they were starting to show ripe berries already.

NortheastAl, Sean and campinspecter like this.