In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Back issues again

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Unicorn1, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

Just venting here, man my back is killing me. This started Sunday and i can't
    sleep yet, went to the chiropractor monday and tuesday. Feels like i have a broken rib but its just "out". I feel best just standing up, iced it today. The 7 days of wood activities probably didn't help.

Stinny, savemoney, boettg33 and 8 others like this.
  2. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Sorry Unicorn1, hope you feel better soon!!

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

x2 ... Hopefully you'll get some relief soon....:handshake:

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yeah, feel better. I just got over an episode that happened last week...stood up after eating lunch and something in my lower back pinched...knees buckled and almost hit the floor. 2-3 days of walking (more like shuffling) around like a hunchback...

5. HDRock

HDRock

I feel ya man , yesterday I couldn't stand very long at once .
    Pain in the butt, seriously , my pain is below my belt

6. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Lifelong back pain sufferer here as well. Blown disc, S/I joint problems, and degenerative disc disease. Heal up quick but don't push it and set yourself backwards!

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Best of luck to you.

One word though and that is I would not depend much on ice. That is good right when it happens to keep the swelling down but it does not do much for pain, especially in the back. It was 33 years ago on Sept 8 when I injured my back and believe me, I've used a lot of heat since then and to this day continue to use heat a lot and that does relieve it a lot. What I like is the gel packs you heat in the microwave. I've tried other things heated but nothing seems to give off the same type of heat that has a soothing effect. One other thing one might try with heat is the ThermaCare heat wraps you can buy in many pharmacies. Get the one for the back and don't get the off brand ones as we've found they are all junk but the thermacare works great. The back wrap will continue to give heat all day long. I've had them last well over 12 hours and I also like to use these when hunting in the cold weather.

Another thing these so-called pain clinics like to promote is heat (20 minutes) followed immediately by ice. It does seem to work for some but not all. Because I'm an old polio guy I can't take the ice treatment as that really makes me hurt bad.

savemoney, boettg33, Sean and 7 others like this.
  8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Rest up @Unicorn1:yes: Being :pain: is no fun! :headbang:

9. billb3

billb3

I fell off some equipment in 77/78 and landed on the small of my back on a stub that was about 2 feet off the ground. I ended up buying waterbed for the heat because a little tiny heating pad just wasn't cutting it. Between the even support and the heat it was the only way I could sleep without pain. Beyond that a waterbed kinda sucks to sleep on or other activities.
    Funny how one little tiny air bubble can be so loud in the still of the night.

10. clay shooter

clay shooter

trouble is with a bad back there is not a lot you can do,i hope you get well soon.

11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We too went that route for a while but later found a mattress warmer actually worked better. And some motion on the ocean isn't all that bad...

12. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yup...back "issues" here and sciatica too. Both right and left side.

Hope you get over it quickly.

13. clay shooter

clay shooter

my wife has had a very bad back for 10 years, and there is nothing that can be done, she is a brave girl and just lives with it.there is nothing that can be done.its to near the vertebrae,

14. blacktail

blacktail

Hang in there. About 13 years ago I was begging for surgery on my lower back. After figuring out what triggers it, I'm glad I never got cut on. It still goes out from time to time but I don't panic and assume it'll make me a cripple now.

15. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Sorry to hear about all the back issues out there from you all. I have some myself as well as bouts of sciatica. At my age I no longer throw those big logs around and into the truck like I used to. I cut everything into small manageable sizes for handling to help my back stay well. I hope you feel better Unicorn1

Sean, VOLKEVIN, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  16. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

I feel better, but probably only due to the meds, still can't sleep on either side. Sleeping on my back is comfortable but the wife tells me I snore, no way
    :). .Going to work Monday.

17. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Ya, mine took an antelope yesterday, back is out now. Not bedridden, but painful. I tried to stir him to turn him over several times last night for snoring, then felt bad about it because of his back :picard:

18. Unicorn1

Unicorn1

Well my back is better but now I feel like my lower left stomach area is sun burned, not red, doesn't itch but having a shirt touch this area is really painfull. Not sure if the meds I was taking caused an allergic reaction, I had this combo before, to lazy to go back to the doctor. I Googled this and all sorts of possiblities.

Backwoods Savage and yooperdave like this.
  19. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

But if it's localized to a single area, likely not an allergic reaction to the meds. The two top things that come to mind are contact dermatitis (can pop up like that) or (hopefully not) shingles. Concerning that it's painful...thoughts are with you.

I have back issues too, and when it really starts to ache bad, I start taking Naproxen (generic of Naprelan). It's a NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory) and it's encapsulated, meaning you only take once per day. It's gentle on the G.I. tract and it usually helps keep my back from tying into knots. After a few days I'm back to full speed. Good luck with both-

20. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Yeah me as well. I had a back injury that changed my world in my mid 20s. No more marathon alpine technical climbing trips, no more building houses and no more skiing. That was 20 years ago and now Im skiing with the kids and my 16 year old daughter is giving me a run for my money on alpine hikes. Im also putting up enough firewood each year. I used to avoid the big trees. Now I take them on as a challenge and use technique instead of brawn. Big rounds hurt my back as well as the vibration of hand splitting so I like to cut them down to size just like you, all the while keeping the desired length of the split. If I can safely get it into the truck and into my yard and onto my splitter Im good to go.

HDRock, Backwoods Savage and wildwest like this.