In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Alaskan cruise

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Smokinpiney, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Any of you hoarders been on one? The mrs and I are looking at booking a cruise for june/july 16'. We were originally planning on leaving port from seattle but it looks like that trip spends a day or two at sea and the vancouver trip sounds like it's more scenic as is travels through the inside passage. Flights to vancouver are pretty much the same price as seattle, only difference is a layover in montreal and i'll need a passport (she's already got one). Any hints,tips, or suggestions yall can give me? Thanks!

We've looked at alot of packages online and we're going to talk to a friend of mine today who is a travel agent.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    wildwest, Chvymn99, rottiman and 2 others like this.
  2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I have nothing to add to your thread but am interested in what folks that do know, have to say. Might look into a trip like this myself. :)

3. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

We talked about taking this trip when we were dating and figured we'd have plenty of time to take it. Well the wedding came, then the baby, and if we decide to have another little one it'll make it much more difficult to take the trip. So we figure book it while the $$ is right and we only have one baby piney to leave with grandma and grandpa. :)

4. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I agree with you, timing is good for you and this may be the only chance before life 'happens' again for you.
    I'm on the downside, kids in their mid 20's and 6 yrs to go to til retirement. I have not had a full weeks vacation away from home in over 9 years. My wife and I need something like this.

5. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Want to double date?? :thumbs: Maybe we'll get a discount!

6. Certified106

Certified106

My wife really wants to do this also. We had friends that took one and loved it.

7. will711

will711

I don't know about where your at ,but I picked up the paper work to get a passport and I was told 60 - 90 days :hair:

wildwest and My IS heats my home like this.
  8. Osage Orange

Osage Orange

Wife and I took this cruise 3 years ago. One of the best trips we have ever been on. No way to describe a glacier until you have seen one in person. Take time to explore at the different port cities including Vancouver and spend the money for the side excursions in Alaska. I would love to do it again.

9. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

I corrected the date in my first post. Meant to say june/july 16' so i have plenty of time. I've heard about the same wait time.

10. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

11. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

This short description of a happy cruiser would sell me all by himself

Smokinpiney likes this.
  12. Osage Orange

Osage Orange

We flew to Seattle and sailed from there with Royal Caribean.

13. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

We have been on RC in the western carribean before, we would sail with them again.

14. Osage Orange

Osage Orange

Around here quickest and most convenient place to apply for passport is the post office. We got ours back in about 30 days.

15. MightyWhitey

MightyWhitey

I've never been on a cruise; but I have many friends and relatives that have done them. All of them loved the Alaska cruise without exception. The variety of landscapes, wildlife, villages etc. was the reason. Those that have done both the Alaska and Caribbean cruise all liked the Alaska much more.

16. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    You will sail right past us. We always see the Holland America boats as they head back down to Vancouver.

campinspecter and Smokinpiney like this.
  17. BrianK

BrianK

TurboDiesel has one planned coming up. I've never been there, but I have a lot of patients who have been on them, and I've never heard anything except high praise for Alaskan cruises. (The same cannot be said for Caribbean cruises.)

Smokinpiney likes this.
  18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Mrs. TurboDiesel and I just booked a 5 day cruise from Charleston SC to the Bahamas in March and The Land and Sea tour of Alaska in August. I wasn't much interested in the Bahamas but how do you tell the Mrs. no...lol
    The Land and Sea tour starts in Fairbanks and goes to Denali and Mount McKinley I think by tour bus then Anchorage/Wittier by train then the inner seaway to Vancouver by ship.
    It's 6 days on land and 6 days on the cruise ship. Agent told us we needed to go in August to see the big 5 wild animals. And start the tour on land then the relaxing part is the ship.

Smokinpiney and BrianK like this.
  19. billb3

billb3

Alaska is on my bucket list.
    Everyone I might travel with has already done it too many times.

Don't put off getting the passport. Do it yesterday.
    I just got extra pages and it took all of 90 days.
    Maybe more of a project than new, but seriously don't put it off.

If you've never sailed open ocean and you leave Seattle and don't do Georgia Strait and/or do outside passage in Alaska going north and inside coming south a cabin mid-ships will experience less pitch in any rough weather. Some people have trouble sleeping fore or aft when there is a lot of ship movement. Most of the newer ships have anti-roll stabilizers that work pretty good but you still have to watch your step sometimes. ( if you even get any rough weather ).
    If you do get a little queezy ask for sliced green apple ( or slice one yourself ) and of course there are always meds.

Smokinpiney likes this.
  20. schlot

schlot

I haven't been on an Alaskan cruise yet but it will be our next one....probably around the same time you are talking.

I'm leaning towards Princess after researching itineraries and naturalists they employ.

If you haven't already you might want to join the forums at cruisecritic.Com to ask questions of thousands of cruisers.