In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A new diy grill idea

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by FatBoy85, Aug 29, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

You bet! Im sorry I overlooked your comment and thought the same thing for airflow. If you need a direct heat sear this is likely to be your best bet. I did open up some of the bricks for the airflow but its best to get the charcoal going and then get the food on almoost immediately. I do have some of that grate stuff so may need to try cutting some of that and get the brick up a bit and turn the cinderblocks the other way, things should take a good turn from there.

The charcoal I used was some I made with plum apple and i believe some cherry may have got in there too. I used two kerosene 5 gallon barrels, cut one in half and the other just the top. IMG_3304.JPG

That flame you see at the top was something new to me, sounded like an acetylene torch on blast. I also looked at the bin after all was said and done. The heat caused the steel to bubble a bit and flake. Not a surprise though, but I need to find a better option. Ive been looking for grease bins but the options have been very limited as they are rare to find and also when you do find one, they are in too nice condition for this purpose and often an antique! Oh well I'll have to keep looking.
    Good Luck Jon!

fishingpol likes this.
  2. XXL

XXL

I like this build. A lot nicer than this DIY Grill...

[​IMG]

Chaz, Eric VW, Daryl and 2 others like this.
  3. Thor

Thor

Well now. There's something you don't see everyday. Practical.

Eric VW, XXL and FatBoy85 like this.
  4. Daryl

Daryl

If you want to retain heat, then I suggest you use regular clay bricks as a liner. They store heat for an incredibly long time. I have even used them in table top grills. Also, maybe build a hood to keep the heat in when you aren't using the cooking surface.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Eric VW and yooperdave like this.
  5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Holy cow! 2:15? Insomnia or just an early riser??

Eric VW likes this.
  6. Daryl

Daryl

Unfortunately, Insomnia. I didn't fall asleep until close to 4. Which I hate because it means a loooong day at work.

FatBoy85, Jack Straw and Eric VW like this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Been there too.

So many on here are same afflicted.

It sucks.

Daryl, Jack Straw and Eric VW like this.
  8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

This isn't exactly a heat retaining need but a quick cooking need. I tried to finish the skewers in the chimney but the ends burned off so im looking to trying this again but perhaps use the bricks more wisely with raising the cooking level for airflow.