In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

$2k, what to do?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by jeff_t, Mar 8, 2015.

1. jeff_t

jeff_t

Been doing a ton of reading. What I found is that most people that have both a bge and a joe say they would buy another joe first.

Barnes Ace Hardware has two locations in Ann Arbor. Maybe I'll have better luck on the east side. And maybe I should wear khakis and a sweater instead of old Dickies work pants and a hoodie.

papadave and Chvymn99 like this.
  2. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::thumbs:

jeff_t and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

Big George's sells them as well. You can also check out Toledo. Sometimes the prices are better down there.

jeff_t likes this.
  4. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

I know what you saying. Im a pool contractor & usually covered in cement etc.

If i worked a sales floor, id be all over the guy driving the truck & covered in building materials at the ebd of day.
    1. He is dog tired & would go straight home, not kick tires for an hour.

Think about, is who is a serious shopper? The guy who comes into the store obviously earning all day & probably has nice stack of benjis or the pretty pencilkneck geek asking ?s about what he read online, when he should be at work?

I was subjected to that snooty bs at a high end furniture store. You would think i was invisible. When i got time if day, i was sure ti let him know his easy sale, has left the building.

Chvymn99 and jeff_t like this.
  5. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

I used to think fred was in outer space.. Now I dig the dude, he definitely marches to his own song & his inventory is crazy. Plus he knows his chit.
    Ray

6. jeff_t

jeff_t

I stopped in at the other Ace location on the way home from work yesterday, for the same indifference. I walked directly to the Joe, took all the display crap off the grill, took all the grills and heat deflectors out, opened and closed the lid a few times, messed with the ash pan and draft controls on the top and bottom. I screwed around for about ten minutes, and the whole time there were two employees directly behind me at the paint desk, talking. Then they took off to the back of the store, and I left my mess laying all over and walked out.

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna buy anything there.

PoolguyinCT likes this.
  7. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

The good thing about KJ is the service comes from the company, not the retailer.

jeff_t likes this.
  8. golf66

golf66

The good thing about the Egg is that BGE stands behind the product and doesn't dump you off to deal with a non-responsive retailer. I am still flabbergasted that they sent me a new top dome for a ceramic chip that was smaller than my pinky fingernail. Resale value is also something to keep in mind.....when I sold the XL Egg via Craigslist, it was dang near break-even on what I paid. There are a bunch of other brands out there that hold their value better than the market....Boston Whaler, Grady White, Ranger. Buy the best and only cry once.....

jeff_t likes this.
  9. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

25 foot Center Console...My dream boat!!

thumb-257-03[1].jpg

Daryl likes this.
  10. Daryl

Daryl

eatonpcat likes this.
  11. Certified106

Certified106

I am a big fan of Kamado style cookers due to the versatility. I have a Kamado Joe and am thrilled with it. If you are worried about leaving it unattended you can always pick up a BBQ Guru stoker but I think you will find that you really don't need one. There will be a little bit of a learning curve as you learn how to start and adjust the cooler temps but once you have that down it is so easy it becomes mundane. I actually have a Kamado Joe and a Chargriller Akorn and I prefer to have two separate Kamados over one large one so that when I am cooking I can have two totally different heat setups.

12. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

Are you on kamado guru also?
    My user name is the same.
    Ray

gbreda likes this.
  13. Certified106

Certified106

Yes with the same username. I don't post there as much as I would like but I do go there for inspiration quite a bit. I have picked up a lot of cooking tips also.

14. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

Yeah, those dudes know a thing or two about cooking. Like FWH there is very little Bullchitt, another good crowd.

wildwest likes this.
  15. jeff_t

jeff_t

Has anyone priced an egg lately? I was just at an Ace Hardware in Indiana, and they have a deal with the egg, placesetter, a bag of charcoal, grill gripper, ash tools and scoop, and something else I don't remember. The large is $899, and $1229 for the XL. Plus $179 for the XL nest, didn't ask about the large.

Unfortunately, the purchase has been put off for a bit until I'm done selling my house and buying another, but it will happen this summer.

Shawn Curry, papadave and wildwest like this.
  16. Horkn

Horkn

You forgot Correct Craft/ Nautique.:yes:

I'm very interested in the ceramic cookers though.

Shawn Curry likes this.
  17. jeff_t

jeff_t

Decided to go with an Akorn for now. It was $269 at Lowe's the other day, plus I had a 10% coupon and saved another 5% with my Lowe's charge. I'll use it for a while until I find a steal on a ceramic, then take it to the lake.

It's still in the box, but I've been reading thru a 30 page thread on mods on a kamado forum. I'll pick up some BGE gasket and expanded metal tomorrow. Might as well get it right as I put it together.

Hopefully, I'll cook something on Sunday.

Bought a bunch of butts at Kroger today for $.99/lb, by the way.

18. Gasifier

Gasifier

So you still have a good amount of money for other things.:thumbs: Don't forget the pics of food.

19. Certified106

Certified106

I don't know that I would do any of the mods quite yet....... Mine is over three years old and I decided to try it before modding it and never ended up doing anything to it. I still take it camping and do low and slows between 225-250 without a problem. By the way congrats on the new cooker!

The one thing that is a neccesity is the weber grill grate so that you can use a diffuser for indirect. I still have my original plain metal pizza pan that I bought the first week I had it to use as a diffuser. I did take a pair of metal snips and cut the pan in half so I can cook indirect on one side and direct on the other.

20. jeff_t

jeff_t

Yeah. Like for the $675 Blaze King I missed last week.

Already got the grate and the pizza pan :yes:. I'll probably still pick up the gasket today, since I'll be right there. I can always return it.

What do you think of the thermometer?

concretegrazer, Gasifier and wildwest like this.