In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

“Measuring Wood”

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Stumper, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Stumper

Stumper Banned

This Post is about wood measuring. In many areas a cord is the only legal firewood measurement. A cord of wood is 128 cubic feet of stacked firewood. Firewood that is stacked fits together more tightly so to make a full cord it is usually assumed that the wood is stacked. To get a full cord of loosely piled wood the volume will be more like 180 cubic feet depending on how loosely the pile is thrown together.A cord of wood is based on the dimensions 4′ x 4′ x 8′ which adds up to 128 cubic feet. Many other dimensions can be used as long as they add up to 128 cubic feet. A full size 8′ pickup bed stacked to the top of the bed is about 1/2 cord. The bed of a standard long bed Ford F-250 measures out to slightly more than a half cord if the wood is stacked even with the top of the bed. This includes factoring in the space taken up by the wheel wells. In some areas firewood is measured as a face cord or a rick. A face cord and a rick can mean different things depending on who you talk to but they are generally both the same thing. In most cases this would be any stack of wood that is 8 feet long and 4 feet high or any equivalent that would have a 32 square foot face.Cord /Face Cord/Rick.The amount of wood in a rick or face cord will depend on how long the pieces are so these are not the most accurate firewood measurements. The standard length for firewood is often 16″ and a rick or face cord in that case would be 1/3 cord. If the pieces were 24″ long a rick or face cord would be 1/2 cord.Without knowing the length of the pieces you won’t know how much wood you are getting when you order a rick or face cord. This is why some states like Oregon require firewood measurements to be in cords or fractions of cords when selling firewood. This Post maybe in the wrong place but I like my friends that I have meant in the Chainsaw forum section,and not only that my experience is in saws mostly anyway. Remember no one is perfect and this includes myself, but I try to do my best!
    Twenty logger cords=around $1,500 =$25 per face cord. Have a nice day!
    Stumper

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. papadave

papadave

Thanks for the refresher Stumper .

Flatlander Pete likes this.
  3. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    :yes:

Flatlander Pete and papadave like this.
  4. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

In VA wood is supposed to be sold stacked. It can't be sold by a truck load. Wood is supposed to be sold by the cord, 1/2 cord, 1 cord etc. You can't sell wood by the facecard in VA. The funny thing is, you can sell a pile of wood to someone if the agree upon the price. So I am not sure what the difference is in selling a load on a truck. Most people are selling a 8' bed as a half cord thrown on. These are also the guys that sell it stupid cheap and make it hard on someone honest.

clemsonfor and Flatlander Pete like this.
  5. Stumper

Stumper Banned

“papadave” Please remember some of the readers and FHC members may not know what you know, so it may help someone else that is reading this Post... Have nice day “papadave”...
    Stumper

Flatlander Pete and papadave like this.
  6. papadave

papadave

Yep, that's why I posted that......wasn't being sarcastic. We get reminders on here quite often about drying wood, getting flues cleaned, checking smoke detectors, etc. Sometimes we forget, and sometimes the newbs just don't know (same for a lot of longtime burners too). We've all been there. :thumbs:
    You've been posting an awful lot of useful info lately. Retired? :)

7. Casper

Casper

8. DonE

DonE

GA has the same "law" firewood can only be sold by a cord or a division of that cord. That law is not followed here and I'm sure most places are the same. You see a "truckload" offered for sale all the time... prices vary a great deal as does the size of the truck. I have seen one fella that delivers a truckload in a shortbed ranger pickup for the same price as a full sized longbed truck... There is a lot of "seasoned" firewood sold around here also, but the seller wont allow you to re-split and put a moisture meter on it. I am certain there are legitimate sellers that sell dry wood and by a measurable amount, but they have no reason to advertise.

9. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

This is exactly one face cord loose tossed into the bed of an 8' box.

[​IMG]

10. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Maine recognizes a loose thrown cord. 180cuft of 12"-16" long wood thrown on is a cord.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. Stumper

Stumper Banned

Thank you “Firewood Bandit” for a great picture of a load of firewood...Have a nice day!
    Stumper

12. Duane(Pa)

Duane(Pa)

There is a firewood ad in our local paper: "Approx. Two Quarts"... okeee dokie?

94BULLITT likes this.
  13. Casper

Casper

Since the HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program) has been extended to firewood, a cord is the only "legal" way to sell wood for heating in Ohio. Camp, BBQ or fireplace wood isn't regulated. Also, if someone says red oak, it must make up something like 90% of the species delivered.

concretegrazer and 94BULLITT like this.
  14. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, & if they say Red Oak plan on sitting on it for a couple years too. I'd bet it ain't dry.

15. Casper

Casper

I just checked out law in Ohio again. Wood advertised as "Seasoned" must be less than 50% moisture. That isn't real seasoned if you ask me.

The only recognized volume is a cord, 128cu ft.

Bulk wood must be sold using weight on certified scales. Pre-packaged or wrapped is the only method that isn't regulated.

I still see people on Craigslist selling it by the Rick, face cord or pickup load (volume, not weight).

concretegrazer likes this.
  16. Stumper

Stumper Banned

Thank you “Firewood Bandit” for this nice picture.... Have a nice day!
    Stumper

Firewood Bandit likes this.
  17. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Well people seem to like pics of measured amounts so here is another of a face cord loosed tossed onto a 6 x 10' trailer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my new 18' trailer, while delivering 3 cords. Since I hadn't loaded it before it took 2 trips and the first was slightly over half. So this is aprox 1.7 cord counting the truck box too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Stumper

Stumper Banned

These are some really nice pictures... I love that trailer who make it? I need one just like it! What is the weight capacity?
    Now I see why they call you the “ Firewood Bandit “ Have a nice day!
    Stumper

Firewood Bandit likes this.
  19. Stumper

Stumper Banned

You are exactly right, some people want $65 to $75 dollars for a pickup load. Have a nice day!
    Stumper

20. ironpony

ironpony

A couple cord of Oak still standing

IMG_0744.JPG

papadave, Mitch Newton and Stumper like this.