In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Accessories for handling wood

Discussion in 'Firewood Accessories' started by Backwoods Savage, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

To keep from making too many posts I will give several reviews here.
    Canthook.jpg The canthook is one must tool for us! I like a wooden handle and either a 3' or 4' handle. Some like bigger ones but unless you handle really large diameter wood the shorter ones are better.
    Hookeroon.jpg The pickeroon, or hookeroon (same thing) is another very handy tool. Many use them for unloading wood from a pickup as it saves a lot of reaching. You can also stick this into the end of a small firewood log to carry out if you like. I use it mostly for reaching logs while splitting wood but also sometimes use it for rolling a small log rather than grabbing the cant hook.
    Log tongs.jpg This little tool (we have 2) has proved to be one of the very best tools we've ever added to our collection. My back is in terrible shape and using this I find that most times there is no bending required to pick up a log. With one in each hand one can carry out two firewood pieces very easily. In addition, if the wood is wet, like after a snowfall or rain, one does not get his gloves all wet which is a blessing for sure. They come in 2 sizes and we have the larger ones and can not see where there would be a need for a smaller set. They are not cheap but well worth the cost. There are some cheaper made log tongs but I can not comment on them as we have only the Husky brand we purchased from Bailey's.
    Marking crayon-1.jpg Simple marking crayon for marking length of the log.

Last but not least, one needs a handy way of carving the Thanksgiving turkey.
    Carving turkey.JPG

2. splitoak

splitoak

My osh kosh cant hook is indespensible tool for cutting by myself...i get some pretty big logs..

3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I've used a pulp hook since I was a kid. . Growing up in Maine and cutting 4' pulp for a living. Pulp hooks were a big part of life. I introduced them to the Copper Basin when we moved here and I was operating my firewood business. I currently use Peavey Manufacturing brand. Canadian and 606 Favorite styles.
    However , I've always wanted one of those hand tongs ever since I worked with a guy from Wisconsin cabin building. With 4' wood , I think the pulp hook is best. For poles 6' long and longer . I think the hand tongs would be best.

EODMSgt, Camber, RCBS and 1 other person like this.
  4. HDRock

HDRock

Yup , pulp hook , another good tool for the list , I use mine a lot.

20160318_165740.jpg DSCI0488.JPG

Note the magnet mount for the pup hook and tongs, bottom right handles , pickaroon and hatchet Fiskars X11
    20170427_153811.jpg

5. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

HDRock and RCBS like this.
  6. RCBS

RCBS

Had a couple helpers yesterday. First go-around with the LogOx. Thusfar, I'm impressed. Used both tools about equally for 2-1/2 hours yesterday. Used Hookaroon for 5" and smaller, the LogOx for any bigger rounds. It will even grab a big, half-split. Pretty sure the Ox will become a Must Have for any of my splitting sessions. Will report further after more "research". I am unsure if it offers advantage over tongs as I have yet to lay my hands on a set. Perhaps Father Christmas will bring me a set of tongs this year.

IMAG1298.jpg

7. MikeyB

MikeyB

That Log Ox sure does look like a handy tool

8. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

20171031_163750.jpg it arrived this morning . I like it! I think I need to touch up the sharpness a bit. It slips on light weight frozen wood some. But it seems like a great addition to the tool belt.

EODMSgt, eatonpcat, Camber and 6 others like this.
  9. RCBS

RCBS

I am liking it thusfar. Only had one session to try it out as of yet. I will have some beech that it should come in very handy for in the coming weeks.

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes, for the cold wood or smooth bark, they need to be sharp. On others it doesn't seem to matter.

11. HDRock

HDRock

Yes they will work better after you get them nice and pointy

12. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Thanks !
    I kinda figured that as Ill be moving a lot of rounds and some of them aren't very heavy so there isn't a lot to (set) the tongs. And frozen logs .

RCBS and HDRock like this.
  13. chris

chris

Just saw some new to me, lifting and skidding tongs in The Northern tool catalog- the lifting ones were what peaked my interest as they are reasonably priced vs what I have seen in the past.

Cold Trigger Finger and RCBS like this.
  14. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Lifting tongs work Great on the bucket of a backhoe. Shackle them to the lifting eye with a short section of chain so that they hang just the right amount below the grousers. Have the bucket fully curled in to set the tongs. Then as you lift with the job or main boom, curl the bucket down ( dump) the bucket . That will heel the log.

Stlshrk and RCBS like this.
  15. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I didn't notice it before. Guess I needed to work on my reading comprehension !
    The magnet on the splitter is an AWESOME idea !
    HD; Thank you for sharing it !
    I'm going to find some and stick them onto my splitter .

HDRock and EODMSgt like this.