In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Deck or patio

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by DNH, Jul 17, 2017.

1. DNH

DNH

My to do list never ends but 2nd or 3rd on the list is I need to replace an old deck, I would like something a lot bigger than my 8x10, I have room for a 16x20. Debating on a deck vs a patio who has what and what do you like and not like or would have done differently about each.

Patio (flagstone) would be less expensive and last much longer but require a lot more work (roughly 50-100 tons of material 30-40 cu/yds) deck would allow raised platform with only small step into house currently two steps onto deck and one into house but I hate the layout of the deck.

I've got a landscaping guy coming over tomorrow to give me some ideas I may wind up with a hybrid of the two and as the land slopes off set some large boulders and back fill to level the deck/patio area and make a transition area with a rock garden comprising mostly periannuals with a few annuals to provide more color and wow factor.

The Mrs is leaning towards/wants a deck so that may be what is required but I want to be sure I'm happy with whatever I build as I'm the one who will build and maintain it for the next umpteen years.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  2. yooperdave

yooperdave

I have both a deck and a patio at the cottage.

The deck is attached to the cottage (obviously) while the patio is near the lake shore with the fire pit built in.

By far and large, the deck gets used more. Of course, there is a walk in screen porch attached to the deck also......

eatonpcat likes this.
  3. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

really depends on your house.. a lot of that decision for me what you want to use it for.. I have decks had a patio but enclosed it and use it as storage patio on south west side too hot in day to buggy at night.. not used in winter snow etc etc..

I have a covered deck 12 by 20 don't go any smaller if you can help it and a screened in deck porch.. make sure you know where you utilities are.. added a concrete patio of sorts to walkout basement 20 feet long 14 wide..walls start at 5 feet and step down to 2 feet over run.. so stuff can be brought to bottom floor when needed

yooperdave likes this.
  4. DNH

DNH

Location would be the same for either the deck or patio, patio would be larger. The site gets nice morning sun and afternoon shade, here is a picture from diner time. Main difference is steps to deck vs step going into house.

IMG_1463.JPG .

clay shooter likes this.
  5. bogieb

bogieb

That would look lovely with a nice patio surrounded by cottage gardens.

wildwest likes this.
  6. DNH

DNH

That's kinda what I have in mind with a few more succulents, creeping evergreens and non invasive vines over the retaining wall.

7. DNH

DNH

The boss (work) said we've both been working to many hours (just built new office 3x size of old one and hiring additional staff) I don't want you to get burnt out, you take off next week and I'll take of the following week!!!:salute::dancer::banana:Gotta love him! It was kinda hard to arrange with the schedule but we made it work.

I've got 5 truck loads of materials ordered and a shopping trip to Lowes for tomorrow:makeitrain". Monday I pick up the excavator and other misc equipment. If all goes as planned I'll have a 16x20 brick patio and walk way plus a water garden and fire pit beside the patio. Have not decided on material for around the fire pit maybe sand or volcano rock. I'll be working from can see to can't plus work lights I'll get some pictures as I go but I can't promise I'll post them until I'm done.
    Sorta like this fire pit How to Build a DIY Fire Pit — The Family Handyman

bogieb likes this.
  8. HDRock

HDRock

Not as many crawling bugs on a patio, lots of them coming up from under the deck though

papadave and XXL like this.
  9. DNH

DNH

Tore down the deck now I've got lots of pressure treated 2x's and some 4x's to make a play house for the kids and more sturdy pallet racks to hold more wood! I'm at 3+years CSS and another 1/2 year in 2-6' log form.

Attached Files:

10. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I replaced my old and rotted 12 x 8' deck with a 12 x 20' deck but when that rotted I replaced it with Azek Decking and Fiberon Rails. But I wanted workshop so I poured a full foundation and then put the Azek deck on the roof!! LOL
    We put in a cement walkway so it would not be a muddy walk to the shed in the spring! I hated that! :)
    We covered the Advantec sheathing on the roof with a layer of Polyglass roofing on top of 2 layers of Bituthene so no leaks!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. DNH

DNH

Very nice!

12. DNH

DNH

Went through 40'ish tons of material today. Made good progress, right on track for where I was expecting. Longest and hardest part was laying out the drain lines for gutters and French drains then building up material over them, this was done in 8" lifts. Had to drive over them before getting to 18" was concerned about the weight, put a treated 2x6 and 4x4 down to drive over and spread out the weight, snapped them like tooth picks!

Another load of rock coming tomorrow if all goes well should have it to grade with fill then 6" gravel pad. May be able to start laying brick on Thursday!

bogieb likes this.
  13. DNH

DNH

Finished with 210 tons of material plus what ever top soil I use from my stockpile. Was able lay a 6x20 area with brick, should be able to finish up tomorrow but most likely won't have the landscaping finished until next week.

bogieb and don2222 like this.
  14. don2222

don2222

Very nice, can we see a pic?

bogieb likes this.
  15. DNH

DNH

After about 100 tons and before starting the final prep for the brick patio IMG_1630.JPG

Eric VW, Marshy, Woodwidow and 2 others like this.
  16. DNH

DNH

IMG_1633.JPG
    Another 10' to go, then a 125 gallon pond and a brick fire pit

Stephiedoll, Eric VW, HDRock and 8 others like this.
  17. DNH

DNH

Still need some more poly sand, I knew better than to believe them when they claimed 75 sq/ft coverage at 1/4" grout lines. I'm at 1/8" and did not get that much coverage!

You can see the edge of the water garden. Going to lay drip irrigation lines to simplify my watering will do this with the garden next year. Lowes had mums and cone flowers for $2-3 each had to stock up to provide some fall colors. Trying to root some sedum aka stone crop to put in the crevices along with 50-100 hens and chicks (easiest plant to raise ever!) which I poked some in the cracks between the boulders. Don't know what all I'll put around the water garden but I'm thinking xeriscape with a contrast of annuals and perennials on the stone wall its self.
    Was able to grade driveway close to desired slope yeasterday afternoon. This evening I built up the retaining wall another 12" (other side of the drive) will try to do the final grading in next day or two that should allow me to get rid of the small mountain in front of the garage.

Still need to dig out the left over siding in the barn (and hope it still matches) and fix where the deck was, also I need a set of stairs may do stone treads to match the retaining wall. IMG_1645.JPG

Eric VW, HDRock, eatonpcat and 4 others like this.
  18. bogieb

bogieb

That is looking awesome!

Eric VW likes this.
  19. Marshy

Marshy

Good choice on the patio.

Eric VW and Canadian border VT like this.
  20. DNH

DNH

Have not made much progress as I've been back at work but thought I would show an alternative way of inspecting the undercarriage! IMG_1641.jpg

eatonpcat, Thor, Woodwidow and 4 others like this.