In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ripping out a gas fireplace, putting in a wood stove.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Rangerbait, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Got the old wall removed and the new header framed in after work today...had a family engagement after work tomorrow, then meeting the stone mason at the yard to pick out stone with the Mrs. on Thursday after work, so I won't be able to start framing the walls until Friday unfortunately. My goal is to have the first and second floors framed up by the end of the weekend, assuming the weather cooperates.

Question: is there anything in the NFPA code about max distance between firestops? I'll obviously have one where the ceiling of the alcove is, but do I need to add a floor in the chase at the second floor ceiling/attic floor as well, ir can I run the chase wide open all the way to the chase top? I haven't been able to find any guidance on that.

have one [​IMG]

[​IMG]

savemoney, HDRock, Brad38 and 2 others like this.
  2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Firestop info may be found in owners manual.

I installed one this past winter (hate them) and I think we ended up putting them every 4 or 5 feet.

Sorry, no help here, but I remember reading it in the manual and thinking WTH?

FatBoy85, Rangerbait and brenndatomu like this.
  3. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Didn't see anything in the Blaze King manual...chimney pipe manual maybe? Haven't decided on that mfg yet, but I'd better HTFU so I can get installed and my final inspection.

Horkn and yooperdave like this.
  4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Firestops, you're talking about those dumb fire suppressants that you hang over a kitchen stove in case of food fires? Thats the one main thing that came up as a google search.... other than that I would have thought firestop would have to be like a spark arrestor.

5. Oldman47

Oldman47

A fire stop is simply a device to block flame travel in a wall between different elevations. In traditional frame buildings fire stops were simple 2x4 lumber pieces nailed between studs so that a flame could not easily spread vertically inside a wall. Modern chimneys and appliance vents often specify some kind of fire stop every so often along the path that they go through. More often than not they also spell out the way that the stop must be configured. At a ceiling, a typical patent stove chimney must be separated by at least 2 inches in all directions from combustibles by use of a metal stop.

6. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Right, in this context I'm referring to an OSB "floor" inside of the chase, at the same level as each floor of the house...then a square hole cut and framed into each of those floors, with a radiation shield installed for the pipe to pass through. Pretty much figure I'm going with this approach.

FatBoy85 and yooperdave like this.
  7. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Current situation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trying to make the best of a rainy day...got the scaffolding set up, and making a lumber run so I can hit the ground running tomorrow AM when it's supposed to be sunny and 70.

savemoney, HDRock, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  8. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Incredible end to a very fall-like July day...tomorrow, we frame!

[​IMG]

boettg33, HDRock, Thor and 4 others like this.
  9. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Very productive day today, although I didn't quite make my goal of having all of the framing done by the end of this weekend. I have roughly 10 more feet to frame to the chase top level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

savemoney, boettg33, HDRock and 10 others like this.
  10. Oldman47

Oldman47

Coming along very nicely. Please keep us in the loop.

savemoney, Rangerbait and Horkn like this.
  11. CNE deer

CNE deer

looking good!!

Rangerbait likes this.
  12. Highbeam

Highbeam

Looking good. What a nice place. The panaromic picture is really mind bending because the shadows from those red chairs does not jive with the location of the sun. That chimney chase will look good on the home.

Rangerbait likes this.
  13. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Took the day off from work tomorrow so I could get the last section of the chase framed up, and hit the ground running this weekend with whatever sheathing I can do, without blocking myself out from access to install the pipe (ordered yesterday...ouch!). Once I get the pipe in, I can call for my final inspection from the county.

The stone guy comes in 2 weeks, so I also have to get he hearth pad poured before he gets here.

[​IMG]

savemoney, HDRock, Thor and 3 others like this.
  14. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Alrighty...got the framing completed today, which was my goal. It's exponentially more work and slower going when working aloft...I learned that lesson many moons ago, but apparently forgot it. I figured I'd be done by noon, but t'was not the case.

Since I'm working alone, I had to winch the walls up to the 3rd floor about 3' at a time. That was slow.

[​IMG]

savemoney, fox9988, HDRock and 6 others like this.
  15. Locust Post

Locust Post

16. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Thanks! Looking forward to those first few cold days in October when I can fire it up!

HDRock, Thor and Locust Post like this.
  17. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

First piece of the chimney arrived via FedEx this morning...apparently it's the only piece they had in stock; the rest of the pieces are coming straight from the factory.

[​IMG]

savemoney, FatBoy85 and HDRock like this.
  18. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

It's like Christmas, with all those packages to unwrap! Or, in your case more like Hanukkah....seems that you're going to get packages strung out over several days. :rofl: :lol:

brenndatomu, HDRock and Rangerbait like this.
  19. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Haha...man that pipe is shiny; it's a shame it'll be hidden away inside of the chase!

VOLKEVIN and HDRock like this.
  20. Rangerbait

Rangerbait

Ok, quick question: I'm insulating the entire chase, but have read some recommendations that the interior of the chase also be dry walled...I'm using craft-faced fiberglass in the alcove (living area), but plan to use un-faced everywhere else with some netting to prevent anything from falling inward toward the pipe. Thoughts?