In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Back pack blower not running right

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by HDRock, Oct 23, 2016.

1. HDRock

HDRock

Husqvarna 150bt, had me worried,, got it out started it up It was bogging out, wouldn't get up to speed, then it was clicking like it was misfiring or spark knocking.
    There was some gas in it, it was not e free gas but had sta bil in it, I dumped that out and put e free gas in, still wasn't running right, put a little seafoam in the tank sloshed it around, after about 10 minutes it was running perfect, purring like a kitten.:thumbs:
    There is a no carb adjustment on this thing.

CTYank, papadave and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Yea...... even with stabil I find carbs act stupid after a season or two go by. Anymore I try to run stuff outta fuel or drain the bowl. Glad your up and running!

HDRock likes this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock

Me too, I'm screwed without it :)

papadave and Well Seasoned like this.
  4. 380 cutter

380 cutter

I have the same blower, the air filter picks up oil from the fuel / carb opening. Had to wash out the oil and it has run perfect ever since.

5. HDRock

HDRock

Good to know. :thumbs:
    I did notice oil sitting in the bottom when I took the filter off, filter wasn't very dirty I just knocked it off a little, only my second season with it, maybe I should wash it:)

Oh, and Welcome to da club :handshake:

Well Seasoned likes this.
  6. cnice_37

cnice_37

I have one of my own (running fine right now) and another in my basement as my neighbor can't get it to run on full throttle. We'll take a look this week. He said its not even 2 years old yet, my guess is crap gas/ carb gummed.

HDRock likes this.
  7. HDRock

HDRock

That's what mine was doin, after I put in new gas and seafoam I had to pump the throttle till it started running right

CTYank, savemoney and cnice_37 like this.
  8. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Pull the plug first and look at it. I have a 580 that will not reach top speed sometimes. Pull the plug and there is a tiny piece of carbon between the center electrode and the ground electrode. Have had this happen 3 times in 3 years. Local Husqvarna dealer says it's caused by bad gas with low octane.

cnice_37 and HDRock like this.
  9. HDRock

HDRock

Maybe that was it and the seafoam took care of the carbon.
    Maybe I will be good from now on , I found a place to get good e free gas , been running it in all OPE since I found the place

10. CTYank

CTYank

Yer dealer could be blowing smoke. What you refer to has been known for a long time as "whiskering", a 2-stroke phenomenon. You routinely build up small deposits in the chamber. Once you get things up to speed under load, some break off, and are "magnetically" attracted to the plug gap. That can bring the engine to a halt. Even when you pull the plug to inspect, you might have to look really carefully to see the wee whisker of poo bridging the gap. Pop it out and away you go. BTDT. Twice.

HDRock and Jeffrey Svoboda like this.
  11. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I would be more inclined to think that you had a lean condition with the fuel.
    Sounds like you have one of the carbs that has the rotating butterfly's with a needle down the center of it. As the butterfly begins to open it is also lifting which means the needle is lifting also. The tip of that need fits into a jet so as it lifts and starts getting more air the needle is also allowing more fuel to enter. What I have found is the jet which is very small can get a small build up of crude in it and start creating a lean condition which causes the bog. What I do is take the carb apart and run a small wire down through the hole on the jet to get it clean. I have tried carb cleaner but it does not always work.
    The needle on these are sometimes adjustable also and screw in and out which raises and lowers it changing the fuel mixture. Not all are designed this way though.
    I have worked on a bunch of these carbs and most of the issues are diaphragms and the jet being dirty. They are no harder to work on than any other 2 cycle carb but are just a little different.

HDRock likes this.
  12. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

That is what I was thinking, them blowing smoke. Your description sounds much more believable. Thank you for chiming in.

CTYank and HDRock like this.
  13. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks

Over the long haul, you should have less problems .
    I'm not a mechanic, so I check spark plug, filters & go with fresh gas.
    After that, take it to "the Pros" :)

Which reminds me,
    I need to get a new air filter/spark plug for the Husqy 359

HDRock likes this.
  14. CTYank

CTYank

Anything that helps, my pleasure. And I'm told that some 2-strokes for ultra-light aircraft have 2 spark plugs so a whiskered plug doesn't knock it out of the air. At least boosting chances of remaining aloft. E.g. Rotax 503 engine.

Jeffrey Svoboda and HDRock like this.
  15. HDRock

HDRock

I can't tell you how many times I have straightened out little problems on OPE just running a little seafoam through it.

Jeffrey Svoboda likes this.
  16. cnice_37

cnice_37

Well, tore down the carb, cleaned it all up, clean air filter/ spark plug... and I have the same exact symptoms as HDRock including the knocking sound.

I have given it a good dose of Seafoam. Will blip the throttle but did that for a good 5 minutes with no change. Still can't hit top speed without bogging out. Will try again later.

17. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

What kind of carburetor is on it.

18. cnice_37

cnice_37

Same as you described, rotating butterfly deal with that straw thing.... which I still don't understand entirely how it works. It is a Walbro WYA series.

I cleaned that straw (plastic side, metal piece just looks like it acts as the rod to plunge down in there) with carb cleaner as well as with a wire and did the same to the opposite end (carb body.)

I am going to swap out carbs with mine, and verify its a carb problem. The gasket was kind of in rough shape, so a kit could be the next step too.

I'd like to just put the carb in the cleaner bucket over night, but I don't think that is a good idea on that straw thing-a-ma-jig, which, as you described, could be a major source of the problem.

19. cnice_37

cnice_37

So... I have identified the problem as indeed being that carb body/ straw deal.

Swapped carbs = good on known good carb.

Swapped everything but the strato body deal with the straw (including questionable gasket) = good

Cleaned strato body deal with the straw = no good

Can I dunk it overnight? I can't get a wire to pass all the way through the straw to the hole, it appears to make a hard right turn in there the wire won't follow.

HDRock likes this.
  20. cnice_37

cnice_37

Carb body culprit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HDRock likes this.