In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★★ Avalon Spokane 1750

Discussion in 'Wood Stoves' started by BuckthornBonnie, Aug 28, 2014.

1. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

We purchased this stove in the summer of 2011 and have been running it hard in up here in Central New York. I'm sure it's pretty easy to look up the specs, but I'll list them here to start the review-

Steel construction made by Travis Industries (same company that makes Lopi).
    2.2 cu. ft firebox
    18" log size (can get bigger ones in diagonally as needed)
    N/S loader
    rated for 1200-2000 square feet
    only requires ember protection for the hearth

Strengths-
    1. Burn time: The 10hour "listed" burn time is fairly accurate depending on wood quality. We've had good coals for reload after 12hrs on occasion. The stove isn't exactly putting out heat at this point, but it's an easy start up and quickly gets cranking again. With lesser quality wood, 5-8 hrs is about the norm.
    2. Overall construction: very durable with great looking welds, thicker steel heat shields than big box steel stoves, large glass door with an airwash system that works pretty well, easy control system, firebrick baffle and stainless tubes mitigate broken baffle systems.
    3. Secondary action: once you get it up to temp, the show is mesmerizing. I find myself watching the fire more than the television on most nights. Additionally, they last most of the burn and exist as "ghost flames" around coals.
    4. Cook top surface
    5. Price: considered a "middle of the road" stove from Travis. Their other models were about $800 more or so, but we liked all of the above so we went with it.
    6. Heat transfer: you get pretty good radiant heat as is, but adding a blower really helps move the air out towards the stove room. The blower isn't that noisy and is a good way to control stove top temps.

Weaknesses-
    1. Can run hot- depending on your skill level and experience with EPA stoves, these can run a bit hot. The max temp we got was about 650, but I've heard of others getting over 700 with Lopi's and Avalon;s. It does respond to the air control, but we also crank the blower on high and point a box fan right at it if it's running hot. For an experienced user, running hot isn't an issue.
    2. Firebox size- you can't get that monster "overnighter" in like bigger stoves, but you can get quite a bit of wood stacked in there for a good over night burn. You don't have to re-cut or re-split your wood at all, but be aware that this stove won't eat like a 1980s Blaze King King haha.
    3. Ash accumulation- Like most EPA stoves, the ash lip isn't as deep as I would have designed it. We take ashes out 1-2 times per week during the hardest part of the winter. I like taking 'em out since I can fit more wood in.

Overall, we really like this stove. Every install is different and wood quality can really make a good stove seem poor. It's a good option for those people looking to get a name-brand stove at a better price than some of their more "sexy" models. We're heating about 1200sq feet with a cathedral ceiling. At times we push the stove, but we've never been disappointed by its performance.

28029_654041633805_995549958_n[1].jpg

2. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Nice review. Is there a problem burning that hot other than wood consumption?

BuckthornBonnie likes this.
  3. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Thanks! There's a small issue with some Travis products with the baffle supports, secondary tubes, and even the back of the air manifold developing cracks over time. This has been documented in the Liberty model. I grabbed a Liberty off of craigslist this year and it had a couple of these small cracks at the welds. The actual baffle is firebrick construction and is therefore very durable. All "wear" items can be replaced as well.
    I think the main issue with running hot is "wear" on the inner workings of the stove. Of course if it gets going and you over-fire, then there's a chance the entire unit could have issues.

4. Brett

Brett

Enjoyed the review. I have been burning 3 plus cords a year of numerous hardwoods in my Avalon Rainier with very few issues--8 years now. Absolutely love the air control on Avalon stoves. Haven't seen a stove brand I like better. Replaced the door gasket and fan this year.