In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chimney through concrete wall questions

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by fortydegnorth, Sep 29, 2016.

1. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth

Installing the stove in the finished basement. Currently the wall is studded out and drywalled, but I plan to remove, re-do, the area behind the stove. It'll likely be steel studs and stone veneer. I'll insulate that area as well. The issue I'm having is what to use to run through the poured wall. The "through wall kits, give you a thimble and class A pipe to use when running through a framed wall. Since I'm going through a hole in the concrete, do I really need all the thimble stuff. Couldn't I just run a section of class A through the hole and mortar around it, add an adapter and run the stove pipe down to the stove? I guess the thimble trim would dress it up, I'm just not sure if there is a way to do it so I'm not buying pieces I don't need.

2. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

I am just finishing this exact setup. Some manufacturers caution against no thimble because hot spots could develop inside the pipe. I ultimately chose to use a thimble. The Selkirk wall thimbles are the one piece that doesn't feel too overpriced. You would probably be fine without one in the end.

savemoney likes this.
  3. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

The hard part with this setup is the long horizontal run. I'm not too thrilled about it. Are you going to offset any overhang?

savemoney likes this.
  4. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

5. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth

I don't have any overhang on the side of the house it exits. I need to figure out how thick the wall is. I have glass block in the windows, so I'm struggling to figure it out without drilling a hole. I'll have to guess on the dimensions I know for now. I know the outside offset from the glass block face to the outside of the wall is 3.5". The inside offset is 2". If the block is 4" I should be between 9"-10" thick.

savemoney likes this.
  6. ironpony

ironpony

Poured walls are either 8 inch or 12 inch normally. I like skeeters solution above, clay? pipe sleeve. I cored out thru poured wall and then used hydroment to seal instead of mortar.

savemoney likes this.
  7. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth

Is that double wall going through the clay or just single wall stove pipe?

savemoney likes this.
  8. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

thats single wall 8" but i used to have class A double wall 6" going thru it....it fits almost prefect.
    when i originally did it i brought a section of class A with me to the lumber yard to make sure it fit the clay thimble.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    savemoney likes this.
  9. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

I contacted Selkirk with this question before my build. I was told that no thimble is required...
    Since you'll be going through your wall, then through a studded wall, you'd have to make sure the entire path of the class A maintains clearances. A thimble could be used here and gives a finished look.
    I really need to get that build thread on here, don't I? Lol

savemoney likes this.
  10. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth

The studded wall I go through will either be steel studs with concrete board and stone veneer, or just stone right on the concrete. I won't have to worry about combustibles except the ceiling area.

BuckthornBonnie and TurboDiesel like this.
  11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

So what did you end up going with here, fortydegnorth?