In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood Boiler / Storage Shelter Ideas? Tips? before I build.

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by LongPondPaperBoy, May 19, 2016.

1. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Yes it should have been cleaned up.

In my father's case, it was summer and he was using his OWB to heat his domestic hot water and indoor pool. Because he was not getting much of a call for heat, he was just using slabs off the sawmill. Like most of us, he figured he would save a step by bringing his wood close to his boiler, cutting the log length wood there and then tossing it in his stove.

Sawdust caught on fire
    Slab wood caught on fire
    Heat from building burning caught his house on fire

It really is doubtful his house would have burned if it had not been for the building around the boiler though. It added enough fireload to the fire to make the deciding difference.

As for the boiler, it was 1-1/2 years old. It was a defect in the fan motor wiring according to the Fire Marshall's report.

yooperdave likes this.
  2. yooperdave

yooperdave

Not a good result at any rate. I can't imagine losing a structure to a fire let alone a house.
    While my father was a child, his family home burnt down.

Myself, I lost a pickup due to elec issues....bad part of it is I had just dropped full insurance coverage a few months before to save $$$!
    You can see how that worked out!

3. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Hey I hear ya. I am not a big fan of insurance either. They tell you everything under the sun is covered until you actually have a claim and then tell you nothing was covered. I call insurance legalized extortion!!

I hope to goodness I don't have a fire here as my house is not insured. We have tried, but they take one look at this place and instantly call it a farm. I try to tell them the sheep are just pets, but I think the pet cut off is something like 50 sheep so I am screwed. All is not lost however, I got 3 houses so I will always have a place to live.

In my father's case anyway they ended up a lot better off. They never did build another indoor pool, but their new house is much bigger, much more efficient and really laid out well. This was my mother's second home lost to a wood stove/wood boiler so she was a little gun shy. They now use a pellet boiler, and it is in another building located outside of the house, but its got its own sprinkler system in case something happens.

yooperdave likes this.
  4. yooperdave

yooperdave

You probably would have pulled the wool over the insurance mans eyes if you could have named all 50 of your pets!:whistle:

5. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Yeah but I would have been several dozen short even then!

They all have names, if you lived close by you would hear me hollering to them. "Quit rubbing on the gate Number 471". "Get out of the stock tank Number 867" and "Get going Number 763". Oh yes they all have names, I tag their ear with it the moment they are born.:loco: :crazy:

yooperdave likes this.
  6. LongPondPaperBoy

LongPondPaperBoy

I will make sure the area stays clean. If there was no saw dust. There would be no fire...... after reading this I will not process any wood inside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

7. LongPondPaperBoy

LongPondPaperBoy

Any who........here is the pool controls almost done. Just waiting on actuator.[​IMG]

yooperdave likes this.
  8. LongPondPaperBoy

LongPondPaperBoy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] house boiler temp after heat exchanger is 160

raybonz likes this.
  9. LongPondPaperBoy

LongPondPaperBoy

I have a 80 gallon in direct hotwater tank that I removed from house. Is there anything I could repurpose this for? Maybe just storage off my boiler. Or put it inline with my hotwater heater?

10. LongPondPaperBoy

LongPondPaperBoy

[​IMG] I hooked this up to the pool loop from wood boiler. So the water comes from boiler into tank than out to pool heat exchanger. The the future I could hook up a modine heater off the coils in the tank that would normally heat the water. Think that would work? There will be 80 gallons of 180 degree water around the coil inside

raybonz likes this.
  11. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

I need to stop by and check this out! Looks great Brandon!

12. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

Are those white pipes carrying hot water? If so make sure you use CPVC not PVC pipe..

13. LongPondPaperBoy

LongPondPaperBoy

[​IMG] Boiler is running great. The pipes un basement actually heat the first floor with out the baseboard being called on. Rest of house is cozy.

GrJfer, cnice_37 and raybonz like this.