In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Mothers Day gifts?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Shawn Curry, May 1, 2016.

1. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Mother's Day is next weekend - you making anything for your mom? Show us your pics! Past creations and future gift ideas welcome as well!

My mom is an amazing artist with a paintbrush. I found some plans for a mitered case that I really like and I want to make one for my mom to hold her paints and brushes. I roughed out all the parts tonight.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. fishingpol

fishingpol

Any progress pics? It looks like an interesting project.

wildwest and Shawn Curry like this.
  3. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

Well, the walnut crotch panel isn't going to work out. Those pieces twisted pretty bad and I had to saw most of the branch wood off trying to fix it. They'll have to be a smaller project later.

I've got too many irons in the fire! I ended up working on some more of the English walnut at my sisters tonight after work. But I did make one of the panels.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

5. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

So my mitered case idea didnt work out in time for Mothers Day. The cherry panel that I made bowed on me too. :doh:

I made these instead from some of the offcuts from the curly English Walnut. Also used some black walnut firewood for the table legs and the wedge keys. Mom was very happy! :thumbs:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

It's frustrating having things crack and warp. I haven't started sawing lumber yet so I have no clue your level of frustration but it sucks on some of the small projects I'm making. Im thinking the only way to learn though is through your own trial and error.

Shawn Curry likes this.