In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Installing Stove Pipe

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Kimberly, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

To put it together I slid the stove out, put the pipe in the flue, the elbow in the pipe, the piece in the thimble, slid stove forward and worked the elbow into the thimble section.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think you'll find that when it is time to take it apart, by removing the screws and working the pipe around it will come up out of the stove, and then can be pulled out off of the chimney too. Stove pipe can be pretty "flexible", the joint don't fit super tight and those adjustble elbows have lots of give.
    Us wood furnace guys don't have choice when it is time to clean...1000# furnace...wiring...ductwork, yeah, the furnace ain't gettin moved...that pipes coming off!

bogieb and Eric VW like this.
  3. Kimberly

Kimberly

The thimble adapter twist locks in. I think I should be able to twist it off and then it will slide out of the Class A pipe.

4. Kimberly

Kimberly

How often should I inspect the stove pipe for creosote? I don't have a moisture meter yet.

5. basod

basod

once-twice a year is safe. You'd need to have a fire in the stove first, to worry about that:whistle:
    The exterior stove pipe will be more prone to creosote buildup due to temperature extremes
    The interior pipe is unlikely to see anything but fine ash buildup, not typically combustible

bogieb, milleo and Star Gazer like this.
  6. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

I check mine twice a year. That's once in the middle of the heating season, and once at the end of the season. My middle, which is usually the coldest of months is the first part of February. Then once the heating season comes to an end which might be the end of March or the beginning of April. This way it's already set for the next season. I also clean the chimney at the end.

Monitoring creosote buildup is a good idea until your familiar with the characteristics of your setup. You can usually tell what's happening inside the chimney without climbing up onto the roof by looking at the cap. Especially the mesh that keeps birds and other critters out of the chimney. If there's a buildup, it would be worth climbing up to take a look. Bring a flashlight to look all the way down. A little brown fuzz (soot) isn't anything to be concerned about. A lot of brown fuzz should be cleared. And The black stuff which may form towards the top should be brushed away before it builds up too thick. That black stuff is the creosote.

You might want to check out the resources page for a lot of useful information, but this article from there I do believe will fit your situation.
    Responsible Wood-Burning or How to Not Make Your Neighbours Your Enemies | Firewood Hoarders Club
    That will also help with keeping creosote buildup to a minimum.

Eric VW likes this.
  7. Kimberly

Kimberly

My cap does not have a screen. Also, I can not reach the cap due to the installation. I can inspect from the bottom of the chimney.

Eric VW likes this.
  8. Star Gazer

Star Gazer

Absolutely! Just remove the cleanout cap on the bottom of the tee and look straight up. You may not need a flashlight since there will be light coming in through the top. Then you should be able to see what's going on from the ground, and really, you should be able to clean the chimney that way too. Do wear eye protection in either case. You don't want something falling into your eyes.

I would suggest when you decide to inspect the chimney, to do so when it has cooled a bit, like before you build another fire in order to keep air movement to somewhat of a minimum in order to keep as little debris from falling as possible.

bogieb and Eric VW like this.
  9. bogieb

bogieb

Nice job with the install, it looks great! We need pictures of FIRE!

10. HDRock

HDRock

Kimberly, basod, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  11. bogieb

bogieb

Kimberly likes this.