In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cedar interior

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by tjcole50, Dec 1, 2015.

1. tjcole50

tjcole50

Didnt know where to put this post so here goes. Were adding a wall to our loft and re doing a house full of trim work. Oringally tried to save some money by prepping and finishing pine tandg and trim. We are after a cedar natural tone look. ... Hated the way the finished product came out. Decided screw it spend the money on cedar. We really like the smooth side of the cedar boards sold at lowes and local lumber yard. You guys think these non t and g planks /trim will need a sealer on them or can we just hang em in their natural state which is preferrd. How about an expansion gap for the boards is that needed? The boards will be horizontal on a 225 sq ft wall. And i have about 1000 ft of trim to replace. The rough side of the boards have a real clean uniform look with much less knots but feel it will be a crazy dust magnet @ 20 ft high loft wall

This is probably the wrong section to post this but figure some knowledge can be gained from some millers here...
    [​IMG]

1964 262 6, papadave, Brad38 and 5 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

We did our bathroom walls, ceiling, vanity, linen closet all in T & G cedar...
    Ordered from 84- much better price and service from them.
    We will eventually "pickle" it.... The light, nearly transparent white does not obscure anything. Adds a slight patina to it. Oil base, still allows cedar aroma to fill the space.
    My $$.02:yes:

1964 262 6, papadave, milleo and 3 others like this.
  3. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I think cedar should hold up fine unfinished indoors, if that's what you want. I wouldn't want to pick through the racks at Lowes to do an entire room though! :zip: On the other hand, you probably wouldn't need to worry about expansion gaps, as there would be plenty already. ;)

There are a still a couple old-school lumber yards around here if you know where to look. They can sell you rough cut or surface it for you, or even shape it into T&G or custom mouldings on the spot, for an extra fee. Those are the sort places I'd be looking at.

4. tjcole50

tjcole50

Yea we have a small local lumber yard 5 min away. Nice family owned operation. Clearly a higher cost but that brings a higher grade lumber and local buisness support

5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

You could use non T & G, but fastening might take a little finagling, by way of having lots of face nailing holes to putty or otherwise conceal. Guess you could do a top edge Kreg jig style or some thing? I dunno....

1964 262 6, papadave and wildwest like this.
  6. tjcole50

tjcole50

I orginally was going to just butt joint all of this together was going to 45 cut the ends for a clean connections. Then i did the worst thing you can do... google... so that led to 5,000 different ideas/techniques people used which just confused the shi* out of me on something i felt was basic...

7. tjcole50

tjcole50

Well wete building a standard stud wall up there. Figured my 18ga nailer 2 per stud for every board would bold plenty strong enough as well as be small enough i wouldnt have to worry about covering the holes

8. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Certainly looking forward to seeing the finished product, TJ:thumbs::ithappened:

1964 262 6, papadave and wildwest like this.
  9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Yes... That would be the cat's a$$.... Man, I love Cedar, no matter how it's dressed!

1964 262 6, wildwest and tjcole50 like this.
  10. tjcole50

tjcole50

Im not... we have an a frame house 20 ft ceilings of 70s paneling. Were knocking out one wall one doorway adding a 12.5 ft bedroom wall facing the walls with cedar and painting the side paneling. All new floors.. and per the wife this has to be done before our first kid is born in april. And i have to cut this winter to put me 2 years ahead again. I would much rather pay for this(edit if it werent so expensive haha) and run my new 562xp all winter........

11. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Definitely recommend getting the cedar from a lumber yard and not lowes or depot. Yes the cost may be higher but the quality of the wood you'll get from a yard should be much better. Remember, you're going to be looking at this every day.

try to get as much done before the baby comes. I can't imagine doing all that with a newborn. :hair: Oh and congrats!

12. papadave

papadave

tj, are there any Amish folks nearby?
    I've gotten 2 loads of t&g pine for 2 different rooms for a reasonable cost.....cheaper than the big box stores, from an Amish guy south of me. Pretty big operation.
    I know there used to be an Amish community in Hillsdale, Mi....should still be there, and I got a bunch of rough cut stuff from there back in the 90's.
    Don't know if you're near the Oh/Mi border though.

1964 262 6, Eric VW and wildwest like this.
  13. lukem

lukem

All of our closets are unfinished T&G cedar. They still look great after 50 or so years since they installed them. Got a slight patina, but not much.

There are several places around here that will joint and mill T&G's into boards you provide...most of them are Amish. But, with boards that wide, I don't know if I'd want to rely on the relatively few nails used for T&G on walls or ceiling applications. It may be fine, but who knows.

1964 262 6 likes this.
  14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I can speak to it working great. Our bathroom, my childhood home, my parent's 1st home in Virginia, their current home, all have had and currently have at least one room walls and ceilings done cedar t & g. Nail at studs thru tongue, next board locks in its "bottom"; only have to face nail 1st and last board, which ain't much to cover with trim.

15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

My grand mothers porch lasted that way just fine with 7 kids and 60 grandkids until roof above it leaked I can't count number of things that hit that ceilings

1964 262 6, papadave and Eric VW like this.
  16. hiptfarms

hiptfarms

I had 1" cedar planking cut by a local sawyer and have it as flooring in my kitchen and utility room. It has held up very well to tough traffic including 2 125 lb and up Great Pyrenees dogs. The only finishing I did was Danish oil by Watco. I mop with Murphys oil soap and touch up with lemon oil once in a while. It looks great and actually blends very well into the original heart pine planking in the rest of our 230 year old house.

17. hiptfarms

hiptfarms

I also redid the front porch ( 10x50 ) with cedar planking and the floor joist are all cedar as well.

18. tractorman44

tractorman44

Have you proceeded with the cedar project yet?? I did short cedar covered walls in my basement by planing and cutting a 'ship-lap' joint....at least that's dad called it. With the 1/2" opposing cut you never see anything but cedar if it shrinks or moves a bit with temperature.

I also planed a ton of cedar and T&G'd it myself for the wife's closet and for our sunroom. Of course the sunroom is finished with polyeurthane, the closet and the wainscoating is still natural. Twenty years plus and it still looks great.

19. milleo

milleo

20. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hello tractorman44 and welcome:thumbs:
    Sounds like something we'd like to see!
    I love cedar much!:yes:

1964 262 6, Shawn Curry and papadave like this.