In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

And another newbie!

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by woodeye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. woodeye

woodeye

Man, you guys know how to make a fella feel welcome! Thanks, everybody-
    Locust Post, is a poured concrete liner not a good thing? It's 6" (duravent) thimble through the fireplace. The opening is bricked up and covered with cement, too. The chimney is nearest I can guess 28' from thimble to top. I was surprised to find that, here. In fact I didn't even know what I was looking at first time I saw it. There are 2 chimneys in the main part (center hall 1870's farmhouse) and 1 has 2 of these liners, the other has 1- hence the slammer insert- till I can line that one. The Papa Bear draws like crazy, and is very responsive to the draft knobs.
    I'll probably use Duravent insulated stainless for the insert, after burning is done.

Papa Dave, I'm up to my a$$ in alligators, here. This was a foreclosure for 3 years, vacant. The attics are well insulated, now. I'm restoring the ancient windows and plan to add interlocking metal weatherstrips, and replace a few storm windows. It's slow go at times, but I'll get there. Insulating the floors is planned, too.
    This old place is solid, and I'm treading lightly- It's all a learning process; I'm used to working on Old trucks- 50's pickups.
    Forgive the rambling, if you will- Pics will be up in a day or 2.
    Woodeye

fox9988 and Eric VW like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Gotta be careful with "concrete" and heat is all. If the poured liner was at least somewhat "refractory" or contained a high percentage of fireclay in the mix, no issues. If it's an old repair/fix, it may be fine- old timers knew that regular Portland and heat don't do well when put together....

3. woodeye

woodeye

Hi, Eric VW- when I looked down the chimneys and saw the concrete , I did some lookin around online. It looks like it's done right, but I wasn't here when that happened. My 85 year old neighbor, who's been next door for 20+ years had told me(before I looked at them) that "those chimneys are good to go". At the time I thought "sure". Nothing else around here seemed "g.t.g", you know? Unfinished wiring, busted plumbing, painted window glass, overspray on heart pine floors, and a bird in 1 bathroom.
    I don't know which outfit did the liners, but they look super smooth, and finished well. I hope they had the right recipe of refractory when they did it. I guess we'll see.
    Woodeye

Eric VW, wildwest and bobdog2o02 like this.
  4. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

We had a similar but different situation, gutted and insulated the worst parts of the (new to us) house the next summer. Bottom line, I was grateful for the 2 stoves here to get us through our first winter here, it was a brutal one!! One smoke dragon and the other a defunct abused BK slammer. We did around 7 cords IIRC, happened to be record cold/snow winter:picard::rofl: :lol:. HOWEVER, even though I called the local place to clean the and inspect the chimneys (3 woodstoves total), after we got into the chimney, it was still chimney fire waiting to happen and somehow we were lucky..............We (hubby) ended up doing the cleaning ourselves and it was so much worse than either of us expected. Do what you need to do keep the home warm for every one this winter, improve the insulation as you can, and PLEASE double check the chimney sweep's work if you hire one or inspect it well yourself:) :handshake:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    yooperdave, Eric VW, Stinny and 2 others like this.
  5. Locust Post

Locust Post

Hey Woodeye, are you saying they are metal lined and then poured down around or just cement ? I was actually just commenting, maybe poking a little fun as a warm welcome. We do though try to convey safety as a top priority around here, can never be too safe when playing with fire.

6. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Also put your red dot on the map under the members tab:)

woodeye and bobdog2o02 like this.
  7. Oakman69

Oakman69

Same here! Glad to see you here. We have made this site sorta our home site, cause we sit at home w a fur Goin and chat a little w friends of like mind.
    Happy burning!

schlot and wildwest like this.
  8. Bags

Bags

Welcome! I like those old Fisher stoves and missed out on one on CL here a few months ago for $200 bucks. I have a bunch of old wood burners too or pre-EPA deals but did just upgrade buying a new NC-30 after researching some new stoves and stuff.

It is 70* here today and very nice. Just came in to check up in and up on my emails and stuff. It's probably warmer in GA.

schlot likes this.