In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

intersesting space heater

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Doug MacIVER, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

may be the way to replace those expensive electric heaters. I haven't used them in the last two winters with oil having dropped so much. might try it.

1964 262 6, XXL and Minnesota Marty like this.
  2. bushpilot

bushpilot

They are overrated for heating. Candles smoke, and the heat they put out is not increased by putting a pot over them. It would be just as efficient to just light candles in the room.

That said, it looks cool.

3. milleo

milleo

Suppose on a cool july night might keep ya warm....Seriously you live in mass, not Florida...Do you really think that is going to heat anything????

Bags, CTYank, fuelrod and 1 other person like this.
  4. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

we used to heat coffee cans in huts as kids. small spaces it did warm some. I could see that set up on a coffee table in a family room away from a stove . like a lot of folks we always have a candle going, that might be a cool way to get something from burning them. temps from what I've seen go about 150*. one guy suggests liquid paraffin.not an uncool look.

wildwest likes this.
  5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Looks like a fun project. The industrial decorating look is still very popular, and it gives off some heat too, Cool!

6. Firebroad

Firebroad

But it would make a nice greenhouse or hotbed heater.

7. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

In my mind, this is just the difference between convection heat and radiant heat. It's the same btu's, just input/output differently.

Using a weed burner type nozzle with a propane tank, and blasting the open air in a room for 5 minutes, or blasting a metal object in a room for 5 minutes would result in the same potential btu's, but released differently. That's how I see it. No free lunch when it comes to heat except for solar gain I believe.

8. bearverine

bearverine

I think I remember reading that candles average 500 btu's. No matter how you package it, 500 btu's is 500 btu's.

9. Viking80

Viking80

Lol. "Minimize heat loss". I think I want my heat sources to have a heat loss ;)

Also I can't see how a lid will make the candles burn more efficient. But I'm no engineer.

fox9988 likes this.
  10. Bags

Bags

And all that flower pot thermal mass must do wonders and pump out heat for about a minute after the candles are out. ;) Yes they will produce some heat but in the grand scheme I see it being pointless. Give me a 400* stove so I can feel the heat.

I've seen a bunch of stuff like this on youtube etc; About the only thing that has potential are the rocket mass heaters but they will only do small cabins and such. Pretty neat concept but I'm not up for tossing twigs and sticks into something every hour either. Could be an adventurous outing heating that way while you drop some acid......., maybe. Or something to do while you are stoned.:smoke::D

11. greendohn

greendohn

LOL!!

12. Bags

Bags

Hey greendohn,
    You are not too far away from me and I was just up your way this week doing a job. I had one in Brookville and another one closer to you. I am directly across the Ohio River from Rising Sun and about 20 minutes to Lawrenceburg, IN. You are within an hours drive or so anyway. The people I did the job for in Brooksville heated with a Central Boiler I noticed.

greendohn likes this.
  13. greendohn

greendohn

I'm about 35 miles northwest of Brookville, I work down there a couple/few times a month. Heck, if you make it up this way and have time to kill or have any equipment trouble, give me a call..I'll help if I can.
    Be careful running state road 1 north of I-74, I hear it generates a bunch of revenue!!

Bags likes this.
  14. Bags

Bags

I was probably closer to you than 35 miles since I was about 12 miles north of Brooksville up and out in the country. I took 262 up out of Brooksville.

I was replacing a house full of windows. I took I-74 up but going home I just ran down SR 1 all the way into Lawrenceburg. I have been on SR-1 plenty of times and always do the speed limit. LOL! Years ago I had to take SR-1 all the way from Lawrenceburg to Indy to pick a buddy up at the airport in a bad snow storm. I-74 was closed down. That was a long cold ride in an old CJ-7 I had at the time. I make sure I slow down coming into the little congested areas and hit or miss towns all up and down SR-1. I use 52 a lot also and 56 which runs along the river more south.

I have to get around over your way and with the river crossings being limited to the I-275 bridge, the Markland Dam, or all the way to Louisville or Cincinnati I used the dam or 275 depending where I am headed.

I guess you are closer to Connersville, IN. I've been there before. You are West of there a bit.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    greendohn likes this.
  15. greendohn

greendohn

^^Yep..about 7 miles west of Connersville, I work at their County Hospital, it's the hospitals' clinic I work down in Brookville.
    Haven't done much running down on the Ohio River, We occasionally run thru Lawerenceburg west on 50 to Versailles and then head north.
    Hope to run into you some time. Safe Travels.

Bags likes this.